References to past games, full o' spoilers!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Grendel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: References to past games, full o' spoilers!

Post by Grendel »

Biccard wrote:
ur-vile wrote:Also, there appeared to be no mention of anything Silent Hill 4 related.
Fitch was the doctor of Walter Sullivan. This was removed from the final game, but it can be read in this forum. Unused Dialogue, is the thread called. Robbie was is SH4 as well.
Yes but Robbie was all started in SH3.

As for Walter, if it's unused dialogue, doesn't that mean it's not canon to the series?
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Maybe it's so obvious that it's not worth mentioning, but how about the entire plot twist?

Alex: I've come to Silent Hill to find a loved one. OMG! I killed him and forgot all about it! Surely this sort of thing has never happened befo— . . . Really? In Silent Hill 2 you say? Well gosh darnit.
SteveSilent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SteveSilent »

I noticed a couple of pop culture references.

-Adam Shepherd looks exactly like John Locke from the ABC show LOST.
Same bald head, same proportions in the face. Same fascination with knives. He even talks a bit like him.

-The scene where Scarlet (this could only sound sane on this messageboard) eats her father's head is reminiscent of a scene from the end of Alien Ressurection. In the scene, a crazed scientist and doctor, played by Brad Dourif, gets his forehead bitten off by a human/alien hybrid that looks very similar to Scarlet.

-As mentioned before, looking at the doghouse triggers a "Where's the dog?" response. It's very cool to see that the developers are just as likely to peruse boards like this, and find the same humor in the series that we do. Everytime I see the "But there's no dog around." image I laugh heartily.
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

Doo-glas wrote:
KLGChaos wrote:
Doo-glas wrote: funny that, I thought it was foreshadowing for the "doll boss" (Scarlett)
I thought it was more representative of Alessa as well. Sure, Scarlet has an obvious reference to dolls, but the way her story went, being burned doesn't fit with it.

If you look at one of the bunny drawings Josh does, it shows several scenes-- one of which is a bunny on fire, which could also represent Alessa, as there's no other reference to fire in the game.
replaying it I completely agree

I actually missed the drawing that was in that room the first time through, defiantly a cool reference to Alessa
I'm pretty sure there is a reference to fire, I do not think this is a reference to Alessa.
The bunnies deaths are related to how each of the children are supposed to die.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Shit, I'm a huge Lost fan and I didn't really see that connection until reading your post. Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
eht_dimaryp-daeh
Just Passing Through

Post by eht_dimaryp-daeh »

idk...It seemed to me like they were trying too hard to make all the games in the series (not to mention the movie) tie into this one. Little things were just thrown in there that don't affect the plot...just to make you go, "oh man, I remember that. Cool."
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/xlespaul420x/silent_hill_sig_copy.jpg[/img]
wonderland kitten
Just Passing Through

Post by wonderland kitten »

SteveSilent wrote:-Adam Shepherd looks exactly like John Locke from the ABC show LOST.
that actuially annoyed me. i like lost and that was way too similar to have been on accident but there wasn't really a reason for him... if it was the same actor then i could excuse it but no such luck
so why i ask you, why??? T-T

oh and room 208 in the hospital ending going back to sh2
"But i don't want to go among mad people!"
OH you can't help that we're ALL mad here...
Kronos
Just Passing Through

Post by Kronos »

SteveSilent wrote:As mentioned before, looking at the doghouse triggers a "Where's the dog?" response. It's very cool to see that the developers are just as likely to peruse boards like this, and find the same humor in the series that we do. Everytime I see the "But there's no dog around." image I laugh heartily.
Just to point out, if there are any fans of the band Paw here, you'll remember the lyrics to the song Jessie... "Where's the dog, where's the dog, where's the dog?" Probably a little too far fetched to assume that it's a reference, but it's what I thought of right away =)
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Doesn't anybody else think that Alex's original outfit looks like a mixture of James' and Harry's outfits from their games?
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Not so much
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Yeah that was stupid forget I said anything.
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Alex playing fetch for that lady in the Grand Hotel is a nice callback to Maria playing fetch for Ernest, especially since the lady is rather particular about being unable to leave until she has her memories back. Ernest, stuck on the memory of his dead daughter, wants to bring her back via that ritual but needs Maria to get the necessary pieces. The way your first encounter with her is set up is similar to Maria and Ernest's discussions, too -- with the exception of a monster-mouth hole in the door's front.

For the record, I find nothing wrong with the Grand Hotel being included in here. The fact that Silent Hill was known for being a tourist trap sort of makes it a given that it'll have more than ONE place for those visitors to stay, yes? Lakeview Hotel always struck me as a bit more chintzy, considering its location and interior; Grand Hotel is a bit more stock and probably affordable.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
SHF

Post by SHF »

Goodnight wrote:I think there was a huge Mary reference - Alex's mother looks exactly like her.

Besides, we already know she went missing and wasn't found, along with James, thanks to SH4. Any more info would have been obvious rehashing for the sake of it.

I was personally glad not to see any direct mentions of Mary. I'd like her fate to remain ambiguous, like James'. It means any one of the SH2 real endings could be a possibility.
Her dress is similar in design to mary's as well.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
PromiseMe
Just Passing Through

Re: References to past games, full o' spoilers!

Post by PromiseMe »

I like that other people saw the connection between Silent Hill 2 and Homecoming with reference to Mary's last name. I don't know, I thought it was cool, and I didn't realize it right away when I got Homecoming, It had been a while since I played SH2 so when I started to really look at all of the games and remembered Mary's last name was Shepherd-Sunderland and I was like "OMG!!! Woah, so...is Mary realted to Alex in some way? What's going on here?" I dk I just thought that was a cool little detail.
You shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!!!!
SHF

Re:

Post by SHF »

JuriDawn wrote:Maybe it's so obvious that it's not worth mentioning, but how about the entire plot twist?

Alex: I've come to Silent Hill to find a loved one. OMG! I killed him and forgot all about it! Surely this sort of thing has never happened befo— . . . Really? In Silent Hill 2 you say? Well gosh darnit.
Well it's not surprising since the game was inspired from Silent Hill 2....
I do like most of the plot though, aside from similarity to sh2.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]