So far the game seems to be very hard.

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

MillsLayne
Just Passing Through

So far the game seems to be very hard.

Post by MillsLayne »

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'm getting the crap beat outta me with almost every monster encounter so far. I'm only to the hotel in Silent Hill, but the humanoid "spitters" are hard without the gun and the dogs always take some health away. I've been playing these games since the first ten years ago and I haven't had this much trouble getting past the monsters.
I am Jack's colon.
[img]http://www.bumperart.com/ProductImages/2004081616_Display-25.gif[/img][img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolchaser.com/thumb-726335.jpg[/img]
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Nope, defiantly not just you! I've had my ass handed to me a few times.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

yeah, there was a part in the police station I kept dying on. The fighting engine takes some time to get use to. Learn enemy attack patterns and what weapons work best against whom.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I find there to be a bit of a learning curve in this games combat system. Each enemy you have to handle differently at least in my experience.
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

As Amy said, you're not alone.
I am having the same problem.
This is the first SH game, actually any Survival Horror game that is giving me so much trouble fighting.
Regardless of which enemy weak or strong I'm fighting, they injure me, forcing me to use a health drink, they are slapping me around too.
(I applaud those who say the fighting is easy)
However, with the help of some members, I am getting better.
Also, I switched the buttons around making it easier for me to fight, for example, I made R2 instead of L2 the attack stance and switched O for hard attack and Square for Defense leaving X for soft attack.
It's also Important to get familiar with the dodge, and dodge counter attack.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Oh, I wanted to add if you can get someone close to a wall while fighting you can abuse them with strong attacks usually, from my experience. Don't forget a strong attack with finish a stunned foe.

also, those guys who slither on the ground with the rake blade arms... as they charge you, do the uppercut move with the axe (dodge toward, then strong attack) followed by 1,2 more strong attacks - should do the trick.
ImmortalGrey
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ImmortalGrey »

The stepped up difficulty in this game with the monsters actually made me more afraid to approach them, as opposed to the previous Silent Hill games. Never would have added "make enemies stronger" to the list of answers to the question "how do we make these monsters scarier/more intimidating?"

Also, there's a "Defense" command? Whoops. xDDD (Already beat the game, good to know now.)
[b][i]Out of my head and I don't know what I found.
Over and over I feel it break me down.
On the sidewalk of the city.
Are my screams just a whisper? [/b][/i]
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

Defense is the dodge button, so you really didn't miss anything.
Defense/dodge is either a dodging roll or if holding the attack button (L2) and defense/dodge, he will duck instead of roll.
I didn't want to miss lead you thinking there is a action button you missed.
Last edited by GioGio on 03 Oct 2008, edited 2 times in total.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Did anyone use the charge attacks? Considering you can't hold any of them like in SH4 I didn't find them useful. ahh, I can't type :(
Last edited by ur-vile on 03 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
CarlosXD
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by CarlosXD »

Hell yeah it's hard! Well, I am still getting used to the dodge button.
As well as NEVER finding any Health Drinks.
Gee.

But good game overall, love it.
ImmortalGrey
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ImmortalGrey »

GioGio wrote:Defense is the dodge button, so you really didn't miss anything.
Defense/dodge is either a dodging roll or if holding the attack button (L2) and defense/dodge, he will duck instead of roll.
I didn't want to miss lead you thinking there is a action button you missed.
Ah, thank you for clearing that up, I thought I missed something that might have made my first run a tad less stressful. xD

& Yes, the lack of health items and ammo is a very suffocating feeling. Whenever I seem to build up ammo, a Siam appears, or something that makes me not want to use melee.
[b][i]Out of my head and I don't know what I found.
Over and over I feel it break me down.
On the sidewalk of the city.
Are my screams just a whisper? [/b][/i]
Qsilver7850
Gravedigger

Post by Qsilver7850 »

ur-vile wrote: Learn enemy attack patterns and what weapons work best against whom.
Yeah, that's what I've concluded. Pipe against dogs, knife against bugs, etc... You have to know which weapon, how and when to use it to be effective. Bit of a steep learning curve.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

You are so not alone... other than the nurse, I have been getting my ass kicked by all the monster. And the first time encounter the Smog involved a lot of screaming from my end, and it was not because I was scared. :D
Meeks
Just Passing Through

Post by Meeks »

God, at first I thought the game was too easy but damn I was wrong. once I arrived in the hotel everything got so HARD x_X like, the nurses practically brutalized me, I had to use a gun, it was the only way I could kill them. the needlers was the biggest pain, but now I can actually kill them with the knife and loads of dodging..
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

i love how hard this game is. the combat system does take some getting used to.
i'm afraid to go any further cuz there's quite a few nurses blocking my path
o-('_'Q)
Just Passing Through

Post by o-('_'Q) »

I hate the freaking "spitters" as th OP called them. They are unbeblievabley hard in this game. I've always had the habit of killing everything I can ever since the first SH, but I find myself running away more and more. The fighting system is great though, if the monsters weren't so much better at it than me.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

you're definitely not the only one. i'm finding it challenging, but in a good way. when i went through the first level, it was pretty easy, then after that, it got hard quick!. now though, i've gotten used to the difficulty. that's not to say that it's easy now (because it's not). it's just that now i can get away from an encounter with a scrape or two, whereas before, i was having to use an energy drink after 3-4 fights.
skydork
Just Passing Through

Post by skydork »

I don't know about anyone else but I'm still in the area of the game where encounters are somewhat unavoidable and that really takes a toll. And most of these guys can catch up so its hard to explore and area if you havn't cleared it out so to speak.
trideegurl2
Just Passing Through

Post by trideegurl2 »

I was really REAlly pissed off at how hard this game was, and the fact that there isnt an easy mode.

I'm a pathetic gamer, I really just wanna play through to explore and do the story. Muh hubby is playing through first, then I usually evaluate if I could even attempt it. These friggin monsters are so fucking impossible! We got stuck in the police office, he kept dying cuz there was only like one health drink. GRRR

needless to say on the next area, he just started playing my method.....RUN LIKE HELL

but otherwise i like this game. just wish there was an easy mode for people like me who appreciate the story more than the combat.
YES, I love Silent Hill 4! There I said it! :P
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

Meeks wrote:God, at first I thought the game was too easy but damn I was wrong. once I arrived in the hotel everything got so HARD x_X like, the nurses practically brutalized me, I had to use a gun, it was the only way I could kill them. the needlers was the biggest pain, but now I can actually kill them with the knife and loads of dodging..
I know, there's the 2nd nurse you meet in the hotel, DAMN, she's psycho. If she gets the upper hand on you, meaning she gets in one swing, you're done for, she swings at you like a freak giving you ZERO chance to hit her or escape