So far the game seems to be very hard.

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

I am playing on hard for my first run through and I find it dificult but so far its just getting used to the different enemies but once you do I find I can kick ass as long as I can control the situation. I am only at the hotel though so I expect it to get more dificult. so far though I have found that 1 and 3 are harder for a hard round play through on your first run.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Mockingbird wrote:This game is ridiculously difficult. No game in the Silent Hill series should be frustrating unless the puzzles or stories are to blame. In Silent Hill: Homecoming's case, it's simply the combat.

I disapprove of dying probably 80 times already.
Jesus christ dude, I think you might have to adjust your strategy. What's killing you so much?
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

ok so I'm quite worried about this now. Is there no difficulty setting? I get the feeling that the American's feel that Horror is fight crazy ass monsters and get killed in the process...I still don't have the game but I am quite worried about the combat now. I don't think I've ever died in a Silent Hill game....ok I died in the 1st one but none of the others.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Mr.FLOOT wrote:ok so I'm quite worried about this now. Is there no difficulty setting? I get the feeling that the American's feel that Horror is fight crazy ass monsters and get killed in the process...I still don't have the game but I am quite worried about the combat now. I don't think I've ever died in a Silent Hill game....ok I died in the 1st one but none of the others.
Really, it comes down to getting good with the dodging. And knowing when to avoid situations, and knowing when to use your ammo and shoot the hell out of stuff.

And you'll slowly figure out which weapons work best with what. All in all, it's not that bad.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

AgentNein wrote:
Mr.FLOOT wrote:ok so I'm quite worried about this now. Is there no difficulty setting? I get the feeling that the American's feel that Horror is fight crazy ass monsters and get killed in the process...I still don't have the game but I am quite worried about the combat now. I don't think I've ever died in a Silent Hill game....ok I died in the 1st one but none of the others.
Really, it comes down to getting good with the dodging. And knowing when to avoid situations, and knowing when to use your ammo and shoot the hell out of stuff.

And you'll slowly figure out which weapons work best with what. All in all, it's not that bad.
What he said. I'm a testament of proof to that. Still have plenty of health and ammo left. :)
I'm offended by political correctness.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I'll see what it's like when it eventually decides to get here
MillsLayne
Just Passing Through

Post by MillsLayne »

KLGChaos wrote:
AgentNein wrote:

What he said. I'm a testament of proof to that. Still have plenty of health and ammo left. :)
Guess I shouldn't bitch too much, either. I've only died once and I still have 3 or 4 health drinks and 3 med packs and I'm to the part where you get the ceremonial dagger. I'm outta ammo, though. I just seems that Alex is hard as hell to move sometimes, considering how fast some of the enemies are.
I am Jack's colon.
[img]http://www.bumperart.com/ProductImages/2004081616_Display-25.gif[/img][img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolchaser.com/thumb-726335.jpg[/img]
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

The one brick wall I hit was that ninja nurse. She'd just go apeshit crazy on me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who went through this. We should start a support group.
Meeks
Just Passing Through

Post by Meeks »

God I wa brutally raped by the nurses I try to use the pole on her and GOD was I raped. she didn't let me even swing the damn thing.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

That's why I use the axe, turn off my light and go ninja on her in the dark. Three heavy swings with the axe and she's done with a nice decap-- and chances are, she won't even be able to fight back. Just be sure you're not too close to another nurse. If you are, just hit her, move away and wait for them to stop moving again.

I'm passed the Ceremonial Dagger (missed the damn crowbar.... grrr) and I'm now in Silent Hill proper. Still have 12 health drink, but I've got 5 medkits and 5 serums now as well. Barely had to touch any of it yet. Oh, and I'm pretty much full on ammo.

Only weapon left to get is the rifle. I'm still pissed at myself for missing the crowbar, though. It would have helped on a certain boss fight.
I'm offended by political correctness.
Qsilver7850
Gravedigger

Post by Qsilver7850 »

Just to let everyone know, nurses can't see you with your flashlight off. Just back away from them and they slow down and stop moving, then move in and attack, retreat, repeat. That ninja nurse didn't even touch me with this method, though her 30+ attack combo was staggering.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Awww I'm gonna need to make notes of all these combat tips! I'm dying to get my hands on the game
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Wow. It's definetly surreal discussing in-depth battle tips for a Silent Hill game.

And thanks to Qsilver for the tip. I've never taken the lights-off strategy seriously in past Silent Hills, but I think I might have to in this game.

Also, two pistol shots to the head of the Needlers takes them down pretty easily, although I find it just as easy to circle around them and whack them in the back.
Meeks
Just Passing Through

Post by Meeks »

Now I feel like should have saved lots of heal drinks by using the damn flashlight *head+desk* well at least for the second time I play I'll be sure to turn off the flaslight and dodge more! thanks for the tips guys!
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I think you might have to adjust your strategy. What's killing you so much?
I am not a competent combative game player. I don't like playing them, and thus I'm not good at playing at them.

Also, I keep getting swarmed by 3 monsters at a time--typically 2 Schisms and a Feral--when I'm on the streets and I rarely have any additional health to use as a battle cushion. I have a feeling I'll be in better shape the next time I play through the game, I just know I'm going to struggle through the rest of it.

And yes, the flashlight works surprisingly well, esp. against nurses. They were treated the same way as in the movie, so if your light's off and you stand still, they freeze, even in clusters. When that happens, walk slowly up to 'em and bash the shit out of of 'em w/ heavy swings from the fire axe.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

it's defiantly difficult and at times frustrating

but I still managed to beat it so the difficulty is not as bad as say Ninja Gaiden or something :P

plus it DOES make you fear the monsters more
jdmma70
Just Passing Through

Post by jdmma70 »

the devs mustve gotten some inspiration from Team Ninja for the nurses, i swear everytime i fight them it brings memories back of fighting Alpha-152 in DOA: 4

They swing faster than i can come on alex go rambo on their asses

Refrence of Alpha 152

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYilyrC6GN0
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

I had a lot of trouble with the combat at first as well, especially in the sewers. I now have a good handle on the combat though, and I found all of the upgraded weapons for the extra damage(except for the crowbar, which I somehow missed). The difficulty feels just right now.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

So what's so difficult with the sewers? Last time I had the chance to play, i just started the sewers, only fought one lurker, wasn't too bad.
Hir0Protagonist
Gravedigger

Post by Hir0Protagonist »

AgentNein wrote:So what's so difficult with the sewers? Last time I had the chance to play, i just started the sewers, only fought one lurker, wasn't too bad.

Towards the end it gets much tougher. Not a story spoiler, but:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
At the end of the stage you get rushed by 3 needlers and that's followed up with a Siam.