Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 11 Dec 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Apr 2006
Notes left: 629
Last seen at: Traversing the Portals of Reality
For more on that, see The Hospital ending.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2009
Notes left: 233
See, but that gets me because the Hospital ending doesn't make sense. There's too much about the other games revealed throughout Homecoming for that ending to work - how would Alex know about any of it?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
ESP.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Alex is psychic now?

Post subject:

Maybe. It'd explain a lot.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Oct 2009
Notes left: 310
If 206 is the number on his dogtags (I never noticed that little detail before; thanks for that), then it could also be taken as a metaphor. If 206 is Alex's identity, and 2:06 is the time that all of the clocks in Shepherd's Glen have stopped at, then it could be a simple reference to how Alex is basically the cause for everything going on in the town.

Though it's hard to go quite this far, you could also take the '0' in '206' to mean that there is an absence of '4', which is the most logical progression of these numbers. With an absence of 4, there also comes an absence of any sort of familial strength, which is a huge theme of the game. Alex's family (of four) does not care about him at all, and so he is all alone. He does not merit the number four. This almost feels like I'm talking out of my ass, but at the same time, it's more depth that I can insert (and I'll take all I can get).

Double Helix may not be as naive as we think.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Chrysaor wrote:
If 206 is the number on his dogtags (I never noticed that little detail before; thanks for that), then it could also be taken as a metaphor. If 206 is Alex's identity, and 2:06 is the time that all of the clocks in Shepherd's Glen have stopped at, then it could be a simple reference to how Alex is basically the cause for everything going on in the town.

I like that explanation a lot actually. :D That's a really interesting way of looking at it and it makes a lot of sense. Especially when you consider the fact that Alex modeled a lot of his fake persona off of his dad's stories, and that a social security number is what identifies a person in almost any official thing they do in life. Very neat idea. :)

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jan 2010
Notes left: 1725
Last seen at: Canadiania
Maybe Alex is actually Harry Mason in an elaborate disguise. Think about it.

Post subject:

Quote:
Though it's hard to go quite this far, you could also take the '0' in '206' to mean that there is an absence of '4', which is the most logical progression of these numbers. With an absence of 4, there also comes an absence of any sort of familial strength, which is a huge theme of the game. Alex's family (of four) does not care about him at all, and so he is all alone. He does not merit the number four. This almost feels like I'm talking out of my ass, but at the same time, it's more depth that I can insert (and I'll take all I can get).

Adding on to this, 4 is the Japanese number of death. It's absence is a denial of Josh's fate.

Quote:
Double Helix may not be as naive as we think.

I'm not sure anyone thought they were naive outside of the "baww baww they're not jhapanese thesy sucks" camp.

Quote:
Maybe Alex is actually Harry Mason in an elaborate disguise. Think about it.

Are you asking for someone to hit you?

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

AuraTwilight wrote:
Are you asking for someone to hit you?

Maybe a little.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

I don't know, I kind of want to hear the Alex is Harry theory. :mrgreen:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Sep 2007
Notes left: 91
Last seen at: SH Amusement Park
I think the reason why he thinks he's a soldier is because he always wanted his father's acceptance. Plus, he said something like "I'm a soldier just like you wanted" to his dad.

I think he was at the mental place but the doctors there saw him returning to normal again so they let him out. Little did they know he was still off the deep end.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Maverick wrote:
I think he was at the mental place but the doctors there saw him returning to normal again so they let him out. Little did they know he was still off the deep end.

I dunno, I like to think that the nightmare at the beginning of the game was actually his escape; either the otherworld or Alex's mental illness just made the nurses trying to stop him seem like creatures and the walls look all hellish and whatnot.

That or he was simply reliving his escape in his dream.

I really don't think they'd let him out if he still had the delusion that he is a soldier, and his brother is alive. That, coupled with the notes found around the nightmare hospital (assuming Alex was the "patient" mentioned throughout), it would seem that Alex was far from normal.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Maverick wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Since Alex was scheduled to undergo a lobotomy the day after he broke out, chances are they didn't just let him go.

Also, just fun facts from someone with a criminal justice/forensic psychology background:

It's extremely difficult for someone to just be let out of mental institutions, especially if they're not completely, fully, and 100% recovered. Most people don't try for the "innocent by reason of insanity" defense because chances are that once you're in a mental institution, you're in there for the rest of your life. Sure beats only 20 years in prison. It's always a big deal when someone gets released from a mental health facility like that, especially someone like Alex who I've tentatively diagnosed with catatonic schizophrenia. They'd continue to keep him long after his delusions were finally squashed. In fact, in most cases, there has to be several doctors in agreement for release, or even a court order.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

well I guess you do have a point about that, but it just seems weird to me that he was there for being crazy and yet he was so normal during the game. Of course we didnt know any of this until the very end, he seemed like a normal guy. So that's what makes me say that the doctors let him go because they must've thought he made a full recovery or something.

I'm not sure if the doctors even knew that he considered himself a soldier, maybe they did not even know about that and it was all in his head. All we know is that he thought he was wounded in battle and was at some hospital. He might of thought that the doctos were treating his injuries or something and acted like normal.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

In the case with schizophrenics, you wouldn't know they were the way they were until they had an episode. Some episodes last longer than others. Plus Alex's delusions weren't violent or outrageous, so it was easy for us to believe him, since it was so simple of a thing.

You should do a search on catatonic schizophrenia if you're really curious. :)

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

I'm also fairly certain that, short of a miracle, schizophrenia never totally goes away. Medication can make it manageable, but you'll never be fully recovered. I think Alex would have had to stay in the mental institution, or at least some sort of home, for the rest of his life.

He certainly wouldn't have just been released alone like that.

EDIT: Also, since we're playing the game from the perspective of Alex, what we experience may be prone to his own subjective perceptions.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

That's not entirely true. Schizophrenics can live healthy, normal lives, get good careers, get married, etc.. He can be released, but he'll be on medication and have to go to psychotherapy for the rest of his life, yes. Catatonic schizophrenia is actually the most treatable type of schizophrenia, so he's lucky in that regard. :)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Quote:
Also, just fun facts from someone with a criminal justice/forensic psychology background:

I'm a CJ major myself although I just started :shock: .

If the hospital scene really did happen and it was not just a dream, there must've been a bunch of cops looking for him.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Definitely. Chances are his face is plastered all over local news, too. His happily ever after isn't going to come until probably years after the end of the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next