Regarding Alex's Badassery (spoilaz):

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

He definitely is "proficient in combat".

And thats quite a stretch linking that to the otherworld, but whatever, I will agree so that the game seems like less of a bad idea.
Caim
Historical Society Historian

Post by Caim »

If Alex could imagine himself in the Otherworld to be a badass soldier (in an Otherworld that's not even his delusion, at that), couldn't he just as easily imagine himself as other things?
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Good point Caim. Perhaps his skill was all just an illusion along with the countless enemies that Alex defeated...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

To be fair, the Otherworld was PARTLY his delusion. The main contributors were Alex, Joshua, Adam, Judge Holloway, Mayor Barkett, and Dr. Fitch.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Droo wrote:I don't knowabout you, but I can't handspring into a standing stance after being knocked down, or do rolling dodges on the fly. Neither can any of my average joe friends. Alex does display abilities that a normal guy would not possess.
Yeah, but I don't many people who can take multiple rifle shots, be mauled by a skinless dog, be hacked at by a monster with a guillotine head, and turn around and use a Health pack and be like "It's all good." :wink:
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

I would like to point out that nobody has been able to account for Alex's good health/musculature.

The Otherworld doesn't give you six pack abs. ....Or does it?!
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
The Hawk's Eye
Just Passing Through

Post by The Hawk's Eye »

I think Silent Hill should start advertising The Otherworld during late night infomercials. I'd watch them.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3026/ultimatemofohawkeyeanimatedur5.gif[/img][/url]
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

Alex is definitely in shape, which leads me to believe in him having been trained in some way, shape or form.

And again, as others have said, the imagination makes a lot of sense.

I get what you are saying Drewfus but who knows.

Clearly, he wore his dad's dogtags because he either a) wanted to be a soldier and/or b) he wanted to please his father (obviously broken homes so to speak was a reocurring theme throughout...).

I think this is one of those things we can't really look at too closely because it'll drive us nuts and ultimately ruin the game's overall experience. I think we all would've been a little happier had the dodge button (when knocked down) made him roll to his left or right and get up in an athletic manner.
Det Som Engang Var...
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

When in the Hospital he could of been flexing a lot, you don't need to "Work out" to become fit.
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

This game was already ruined itself for me, so I'm going to dissect it all I want. I paid sixty bucks for it, dammit.

The game takes place after Alex has been in the mental hospital for a few years. You can come to this conclusion by the fact that Alex was a teenager when the accident happened. So, for at least two years (given 20 = teenager) he has been in a mental hospital. Ten by ten room, limited exercise (he was catatonic for a period of time as well), probably just the bare minimum nutrition required - this all leads to the conclusion that a) he was never actually in a hospital and Adam is feeding us false information for whatever reason, or b) he was somehow able to keep his figure despite all this.

I think I can just say that Alex was on the 'roids and be done with this.

ZOMG. He's Chris Redfield! :o

He looks like him too. >_> <_<

ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

The game takes place after Alex has been in the mental hospital for a few years. You can come to this conclusion by the fact that Alex was a teenager when the accident happened. So, for at least two years (given 20 = teenager) he has been in a mental hospital. Ten by ten room, limited exercise (he was catatonic for a period of time as well), probably just the bare minimum nutrition required - this all leads to the conclusion that a) he was never actually in a hospital and Adam is feeding us false information for whatever reason, or b) he was somehow able to keep his figure despite all this.
Well I just looked at the hospital ending.....hmmmm.... he looks like older Alex, but he has the military outfit on so...hmmm... Perhaps the Alex we see in the game is the one he's "projecting" if that makes any sense.

Hmmmm..... this Homecoming plot is going to be a harder nut to crack then the reviewers led us to believe, methinks. Or it just wasn't written well. Here's hoping for the former.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>he probably studied combat training or was even given lessons from his father Adam.
There are combat guides in Alex's basement and garage. There hasn't been much time since Alex's hospitalization and the time the game takes place, so I find it likely that Alex studied these recreationally.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Caim

Post by Caim »

Hannah wrote:The Otherworld doesn't give you six pack abs. ....Or does it?!
Ever see the picture of James during the credits of the Dog Ending in SH2? Boy's jacked, man.

And Mockingbird, I would have thought those were tutorial-purpose only, being littered with "Hit X for heavy, A for light" controller type stuff.
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Clearly, but they're also there for Alex. We are seeing what he is.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

ur-vile wrote:Well I just looked at the hospital ending.....hmmmm.... he looks like older Alex, but he has the military outfit on so...hmmm... Perhaps the Alex we see in the game is the one he's "projecting" if that makes any sense.

Hmmmm..... this Homecoming plot is going to be a harder nut to crack then the reviewers led us to believe, methinks. Or it just wasn't written well. Here's hoping for the former.
No, no. We have the plot down. It's just the official ending and semantics that are screwing us over.

TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

^
Or so we think...
StinkBomber
Gravedigger

Post by StinkBomber »

Maybe it's sort of like the Matrix in that it's the ideal form of himself? That idea only really works with the Hospital ending, though.

[edit]

Dur, someone else suggested this already.

A more logical explanation is that he got some kind of physical rehabilitation in addition to whatever mental treatment was going on, to regain his strength. Aha! Doesn't Alex go on about this in his imaginary journal? His damaged mind must've believed all of that was for some wartime injury when in fact it was from being lost in darkness of his own mind.
www.stinkbomber.deviantart.com
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Eh, I don't think the things Alex does are really that badass. The moves he does are something an average person can do, such as dodging, swinging an axe, etc. At least he doesn't do ninja flips and insane multi-hit combos. :P
I'm offended by political correctness.
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

>Alex does display abilities that a normal guy would not possess.

Well, Alex is not really a normal guy now is he?
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

KLGChaos wrote:Eh, I don't think the things Alex does are really that badass. The moves he does are something an average person can do, such as dodging, swinging an axe, etc. At least he doesn't do ninja flips and insane multi-hit combos. :P
Do a rolling dodge, right now, film it and put it on youtube. :p