Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 13 Dec 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Sep 2008
Notes left: 356
Last seen at: Pennsylvania
The stuff Alex does isn't even that much. I don't think they should need any excuse to use the same combat system in future games. You don't need a story explanation to have a fun combat system. Double Helix seems to have realized that anyway.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jan 2005
Notes left: 432
Last seen at: Alchemilla Hospital
December Man wrote:
I have found something interesting:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/SilentHill

At least I think it's interesting up until the last part.
I like where they were going but I'm not sure I'm completely convinced of it. It's something to consider though.
The "Alex Shepherd is gay" section left me rolling on the floor laughing. Though it MAY be possible, that theory is seriously out there. Poor Elle... She's been reduced to BFF...

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
You're not supposed to be "convinced", the theories are deliberately off the wall and ridiculous. You should see some of the other pages, such as, "The Childlike Empress is Haruhi Suzumiya" or "Doctor House is a Time Lord."

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Oct 2008
Notes left: 775
The theory seems absolutely ridiculous, and I'm fairly sure it wouldn't pass the rigors of this forum. Even if nothing else was wrong with it, the fact that there's absolutely no support for most of the theory, plus the necessitating of directly contradicting the lines of a character that had no reason to lie show that it's pretty off.

The last bit gave me a laugh, though.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jun 2009
Notes left: 62
Last seen at: away from controler
well i dunno about you but some dreams or delutions can be very and i mean VERY realistic. e.x. have you ever been stabed in your dreams and wake with that spot hurting like an invisible stab wound? and i have before learned and got MUCH better at feats from dreaming. So i see it completely logicl that he may have learned it from a delution or a dream.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Dec 2007
Notes left: 9
Hannah wrote:
Alex was fairly fit when he was younger (from what we've seen) and it wouldn't be hard for him to keep that figure, he is only twenty two, after all. Of course, if a lot of time has passed between the accident (when he was, as far as we know, a teenager) to now (as he's an adult)... even though he was reported to be 'catatonic' for a period of time in the memos. Maybe he didn't eat? But lack of nutrition doesn't account for the superior reflexes and musculature and....

AgentX7k wrote:
PrescitedEntity wrote:
Though that doesn't answer the question raised earlier - he stayed mental facility for an extended duration... how did he keep physically fit there? I mean, it's not standard protocol to go with whatever the patient wants, and I somehow don't think keeping Alex in a physically fit condition was a great priority of the hospital's. He did say he was training towards the end, but I'm not sure I buy it.
Maybe patients are allowed regular exercise? Or maybe we put them that in the same column of most of the medial stuff in Silent Hill - like a health drink/first aid kit able to heal every wound in about a second.

When I read these comments about the apparent inconsistancy between Alex's fitness and his extended time in a mental hospital, I was oddly reminded of the first time we see Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in Terminator 2. She was locked up in a mental ward with bleah-level nutrition, but that certainly didn't stop her from remaining seriously badass fit. :shock:

So it's just possible that if Alex is totally convinced that he's an active soldier, there could have been long periods where he may have been motivated enough to develop and maintain a high degree of fitness. It could all be excused away as a soldier wanting to stay in top shape for combat.

Picture this -- Alex is stuck in a small room in the mental hospital, but in his delusional state, he thinks he's in a military barracks. What does a bored soldier do in such circumstances to pass the time between firefights? Oh, perhaps a few stomach crunches, pushups, jogging in place, etc. Under most circumstances, the hospital personnel wouldn't have a reason to stop him from exercising on his own.

As other people mentioned, the evasion and fighting skills Alex displays could easily explained by a teenager's interest in things military, partially motivated by a desire to win a stern military father's approval, etc.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jun 2009
Notes left: 90
Well his dad was in the army maybe when he was younger his dad gave in lessons like my g-pa was good a skeet shooting and he showed me how to shoot

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Jun 2009
Notes left: 49
Last seen at: Spiritual Vortex, Arizona
Clearly Alex's badassery is so...badass, that it defies all means of logic.
That's all the explanation I need. ;)

Seriously though, I think the idea that he worked out in the mental hospital could be resonable, as well as him learning to shoot a gun and all that jazz from Adam.
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'll believe it anyway haha. :p

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Jul 2009
Notes left: 4
Terminus wrote:
In the next Silent Hill game I want to play as a schizo who thinks that he/she is a pirate, or a helicopter.

i would like to reserve a copy of this game this instant :lol:

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Aug 2009
Notes left: 250
Last seen at: in a HOLE
He was probably in pretty decent shape before he was admitted into the psyche ward. I mean, his father WAS a police officer (wasn't he the sheriff?) He probably had access to intense workout equipment and such. I mean, he had plenty of motivation. His father basically disowned him [spoiler] to make the sacrifice run smoothly[/spoiler] and without much of a father or friends to play with, what else does he have left to do? He probably also wasn't starved of exercise in the psyche ward (depending on if they deemed him "dangerous or not", but that isn't really revealed). As of the combat skills, maybe he just payed close attention to his father...it's possible

and took the CUBE away.

Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
Caim wrote:
Why is he the only Silent Hill protagonist to have such adrenaline? Besides, I don't see how adrenaline teaches you how to use a shotgun, and/or not dodge into battle blindly and die a horrible and bloody death but instead dodge and slash like, I dunno... a soldier. AND I would think that much adrenaline would give a mofo a heart attack.

Alex believed he was a soldier. So he acts accordingly.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Sometimes I believe I'm an ambulance. I still haven't managed to act accordingly, though.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
funny, adversary. very funny.
tell us how alex acts like a soldier if he isnt one then?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

I made a suggestion somewhere at the beginning of this topic.

The fact remains, though: Alex isn't a soldier.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
It's called a plothole.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2010
Notes left: 14
helldescent wrote:
Caim wrote:
Why is he the only Silent Hill protagonist to have such adrenaline? Besides, I don't see how adrenaline teaches you how to use a shotgun, and/or not dodge into battle blindly and die a horrible and bloody death but instead dodge and slash like, I dunno... a soldier. AND I would think that much adrenaline would give a mofo a heart attack.

Alex mentions his father originally raising him to be a soldier, so I imagine he got a lot of experience there before he gave up on him. That and his father seems to be a hunter, so I imagine he would have a lot of time to learn how to use a gun if he ever went hunting with his father before.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
What's the name of the condition in which you believe you are afflicted by something, but you really aren't?

Example: In the novel IT by Stephen King, the mother tells the boy he has asthma, even though he does not. He shows the signs and symptoms of asthma, and has the restrictions that comes with the condition. Years later, the pharmacist reveals that he never has had asthma-so he stops showing the symptoms.

It's sort of like a form of "brainwashing". Anyways, this is what's going on with Alex :P

And Pamuyo, that's very probable, but I see a problem with that... Where on Earth did he learn to dodge? Probably not from his father, and probably not from the bunny rabbits he's been trained to hunt.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>What's the name of the condition in which you believe you are afflicted by something, but you really aren't?<

You're probably thinking of a somatoform disorder: People exhibit physical symptoms of a disease or disorder, but there are no physiological explanations for the symptoms.

>Where on Earth did he learn to dodge?<
The pamphlets he was given.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Mar 2010
Notes left: 73
Last seen at: Australia
Pamuyo wrote:
helldescent wrote:
Caim wrote:

Alex mentions his father originally raising him to be a soldier, so I imagine he got a lot of experience there before he gave up on him. That and his father seems to be a hunter, so I imagine he would have a lot of time to learn how to use a gun if he ever went hunting with his father before.

This and the fact that hes not really that badass at all.
He's ok with guns, but his father was a soldier/cop, so it makes sense he would know the basics.
He's in pretty good shape, but is no bigger or fitter than an average bloke with a passing interest in fitness or who had a fairly active childhood.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2010
Notes left: 14
The Adversary wrote:
>What's the name of the condition in which you believe you are afflicted by something, but you really aren't?<

You're probably thinking of a somatoform disorder: People exhibit physical symptoms of a disease or disorder, but there are no physiological explanations for the symptoms.

>Where on Earth did he learn to dodge?<
The pamphlets he was given.

I lol'd. Makes me wonder if they were real or imagined.

But, it makes me think that if his father was training him to be a soldier at some point, that it's not out of the realm of possibilities he'd be learning physical combat, and I doubt he'd just sit there and take a hit without learning how to move out of the way. From what I remember all he does is roll out of the way and put his weapon up at the right time to keep from getting hit. I don't think this is too difficult to accept.

Any time I think of Alex the two main things that pop into my head are:
(Dissociative disorders: Conscious awareness becomes separated (dissociated) from previous memories, thoughts, and feelings.

Dissociative Identity Disorder: A rare dissociate disorder in which a person exhibits two or more distinct and alternating personalities. Also called Multiple personality disorder.
- Def. from David G. Myers)

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, he's hinted at having some form of training in physical fighting as well as gun use. Now from there we add the fact at some point he either has/still has some kind of disorder of the mind, and with this disorder he believes he has been a war soldier. (Unless he really was.) From there it would be easy to see why he thinks and is able to use some kind of fighting skill, regardless of if he was ever really a soldier to begin with.

Edit: Just wondering, but has anyone came up with a solid idea of what kind of mental disorder Alex might have if any?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next