Man Versus... Man?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Caim
Historical Society Historian

Man Versus... Man?

Post by Caim »

Okay, there's a little bit of spoilers for every game in this topic, so read on at your own risk.

In every Silent Hill game, there has always been an opportunity to end another persons' life, sans Origins (but I wouldn't consider those characters "people" anyways, as wooden as they were):
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Silent Hill - Cybil
Silent Hill 2 - Eddie
Silent Hill 3 - Douglas
Silent Hill 4 - Walter
However, with the latest entry in the series, it seems that the game had taken on a human-heavy enemy roster near the end with the Order members. With finishing moves rivaling the 2003 game Manhunt in terms of brutality, physical manifestations of the subconcious were nowhere to be seen.

How does everyone feel about this? Did they enjoy the more even challenge (as they could dodge/use firearms) or did they think it was just a gimmick and detracted from the horror?
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

I found the human enemies to be kinda...meh. Fun to kill, yeah, but a little strange considering we're all used to smashing psychosexual inverted masses of flesh.
Hurm...
Caim

Post by Caim »

Just to compliment what you said, the first time I split an Order member's skull with the axe, I was just like, "GIVE ME MORE ORDER MEMBERS."
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

^ I AGREE. Finishing off those sick bastards is more fun than fighting monsters. Those murdering psychopaths barely register as people anyway, and I agree with Alex on dear Margaret: BITCH!

You still get that choice-kill or safe-with
Wheeler.
Caim

Post by Caim »

I wonder if Alex had murdered anyone prior to the events of Homecoming? Aside from - SPOILER:
Josh.
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

>psychosexual inverted masses of flesh.

Don't we love them? <3

I really don't understand why It would be a choice with Wheeler.. I mean, if theres a friggin medpack there... and hes dying... who in their right mind (okay, that kind of explains why Alex had to decide) would let him die?

Anyways. Order members reminded me of the movie too much as well..
[img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5484/sethsunderlandnewdigjr5.jpg[/img]
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

Being able to randomly slaughter people kind of takes away from the entire "the town is the enemy" feel of the previous games. I really dislike it, especially considering the previous protagonists probably couldn't murder (yes, that's what Alex is doing) people as easily. Sure, there were the examples you listed, but most of those were extreme situations. It also seems kind of weird. A town that punishes you for your guilt of killing people (er, usually) is letting you gank folks because they're in your way? I know Alex is a soldier and thus doesn't care about the enemy... but, c'mon now. Murdering one person in passion is something of one Silent Hill admittance ticket, but slaughtering a bunch and feeling nothing is just fine?

"Oh, there are people here? Guess I'm not as trapped as I thought. I wonder if they'll vomit fountains of blood?

-stabbity death-"
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

The Order is part of the town-a big part-so it still has that feeling of "this place hates me :("

It's not as though Alex is just murdering for funsies. They are trying to kill him. With pipes and/or power tools.
Caim

Post by Caim »

Well, the Order members, to be fair, were absolutely batshit insane and rather evil to boot. Alex was in the right at that point in the game (in his opinion, not theirs), so he probably thought his murdering was justified.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

To be fair, it's in self-defense and he's trying to save all the innocent people who are still alive, which as far as he knows could be anywhere from 4 to 40 townspeople.

Plus, they're all masked and shit, and any psychologist will tell you that aggressive action is a lot easier without face-to-face contact.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Caim

Post by Caim »

Yeah... whether you like them or not, I admit that when they first hopped at me in the power plant, they were intimidating as all Hell. :(
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

When I fought them I cried inside. I never want to play a silent hill game and kill human enemies such as the miners/order members. It really turned the game into Silent hill: the movie: the game.
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2263/scyronah6.gif[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

How? It's not like Rose ever killed any people.

People are too busy to attack Homecoming just because it's barely similar to the movie. Lighten the fuck up.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Caim

Post by Caim »

He just means that the Order members were really similar to the religious fanatics from the movie, obvs. Still, Homecoming was a total stand-alone title, and there was nothing wrong with it borrowing elements from the game.

I guess I can state my opinion here on my own topic and say I liked having the Order members in the game. It was a nice change of pace, from murderous masses of meat to dodging, shooting God-nuts. It's the most different (and most fun) enemy in a Silent Hill game yet to me.
StinkBomber
Gravedigger

Post by StinkBomber »

It can be debated, but didn't Heather kill cultists in Silent Hill 3 - given her perception of them was being warped? Alex didn't have that issue, fortunately for him.

I'm just glad that I finally get to cave the skulls of those sick sons of bitches in, after all the crap they've done.
www.stinkbomber.deviantart.com
The Hawk's Eye
Just Passing Through

Post by The Hawk's Eye »

I thought fighting the Order members was great, and besides, you didn't even fight that many until the final area. I think it helped create a unique and interesting tone for the climax of a Silent Hill game. Typically for the final area you're pulled into this twisted dimension that lacks all logic; Homecoming opted for a more cold, dank and brutal style to try and finish the game up, which I thought was compelling and different, and it worked quite well.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3026/ultimatemofohawkeyeanimatedur5.gif[/img][/url]
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

Well the inclusion of them. I understand it doesn't follow the movie at all other than visuals but knowing the order dresses like that and that they sound stupid when they die. I felt like I was playing manhunt, dead serious. (mental patient killing people in violent ways, oh yay)

I want to say more but I don't want to argue or go into it. I had standards and the game didn't meet them.

fake edit; I know there are other previous enemies whom are human, I guess I just have a problem with them dressed as the coal miners and mentioning the order, it doesn't sit well with me.
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2263/scyronah6.gif[/img]
Caim

Post by Caim »

I could see some people having a problem with having to murder them by the masses.

P.S. Curtis, although a push-over, was a blast pumpin' full of lead too.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It can be debated, but didn't Heather kill cultists in Silent Hill 3 - given her perception of them was being warped? Alex didn't have that issue, fortunately for him.
Their "Hearts were changed" by Claudia or something. It's kinda vague. But yea, Heather killed some humans. Anyway, what I like about fighting the cultists is that they don't trigger the radio. That freaked me right the fuck out at first because I was "What the fuck? Why am I bleedin-OOOoooh."
I'm just glad that I finally get to cave the skulls of those sick sons of bitches in, after all the crap they've done.
I think we can all toast to that.
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

Curtis was oh so fun to bludgeon with the pipe. Even if you just pumped all 9 bullets (on medium) into him he dies all slow motion (though he SHOULD have fallen on his saw like that clown from dead rising)

I just wish I'd gotten the chance to actually fight Holloway, not all ZOMGPUSHBUTTONNAO style.

Don't some believe the monsters were people anyway...? Get some of them in here.