The Boat *MAJOR SPOILERS HERE*

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

TheRedOne

The Boat *MAJOR SPOILERS HERE*

Post by TheRedOne »

I've just had the pleasure of beating Homecoming just a little under an hour ago. As stupid as what I'm about to ask may sound, just try to stay with me on this. Alright? Now, those of us who've played the game know what happened to Josh on that small rowboat.

Why did Alex insist on taking Josh out on that boat?

From what I'd gathered he'd never actually explained what he wanted to show Josh. Also, it's not as if he actually planned on killing him, so that doesn't contribute either.

Any idea(s)? Was it ever really explained?
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I think it was just the fact that Alex being the older brother wanted to pull Josh out of his protective zone and take him to the lake. I believe it was as innocent as that.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Oh no, it was innocent. I wasn't trying to imply anything of that nature. We don't want another thread like this, do we?

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15672

:lol:

I just figured he was taking Josh out to show him something, like a secret island he found or something like that.
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

That thread is hot* and you know it!

Er. Um. I mean... >_>

We're never told what he was going to do, but we know that Adam got angry when Alex and Josh were playing, so that was probably a motivating factor.

*And by hot, I mean incredibly emotionally scarring. Just making that clear.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

Mr.FLOOT wrote:I think it was just the fact that Alex being the older brother wanted to pull Josh out of his protective zone and take him to the lake. I believe it was as innocent as that.
That's the impression I got as well.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

>And by hot, I mean incredibly emotionally scarring. Just making that clear.

Good, hot steamy incest is a huge no-no in my book. :D
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

TheRedOne wrote:>And by hot, I mean incredibly emotionally scarring. Just making that clear.

Good, hot steamy incest is a huge no-no in my book. :D
Then you clearly must have a problem with European monarchies.

...Anyway, I wonder what the hell was wrong with Alex. Toluca lake had a terrible reputation, and he took Josh out there in the middle of the night/early morning?

TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Yes, but any "myths" he may have heard could've easily been brushed off as child's play and such. Every town has its own ghost stories, how could he indicate that these were actually true?

It wasn't very smart in the first place, but come on! He was just a kid, obviously one who lacked common sense, but that can be said about most teenagers. I've done stupid things too. I mean, I just really feel for the poor guy. :(
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

^Oh I know! Seriously I got a little teary-eyed when he had to make the choice about his mom's fate. Even though she treated him like crap, and that he was only born to be the next "sacrifice."
He's just put in this terrible situation.

The whole only being born to be the next "sacrifice" reminds me of another topic... about abortions and stem cell research. Thats another topic for another thread.
Last edited by Girl Interrupted on 11 Oct 2008, edited 2 times in total.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

A night of abortion debates? Sounds like my cup of tea! :D
JamesisBetterThanHarry22
Just Passing Through

Post by JamesisBetterThanHarry22 »

When I first saw this scene and till the end of it, I thought that Alex was somehow jealous that his parents loved Josh more than him. He claimed his father's ring to be a "piece of crap" and discouraged Josh of being brave. So I think he was just out there to lash out his anger at Josh without his parents seeing. And when they'd get suspicious and look for the two of them, they wouldn't look for them at Toluca Lake since they expected the two siblings to never to go there under their orders.
Come Murphy. The town awaits you.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Yeah, I don't think there was any ulterior motive except for Alex wanting to defy his father. Though who the fuck takes a boat out in 2 in the morning, right? Didn't look like they were going fishing :twisted:
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

This thread gave me an idea: Would it count if one of the Founding Families had an abortion on a 50th year?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PyramidHead1036
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidHead1036 »

^that one took my head for a spin.. I don't think it would, unless the parents themselves performed the abortion, like fitch on his wife or something. I think that that's what I caught in the story anyway, that the parents themselves had to do the deed.
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

AuraTwilight wrote:This thread gave me an idea: Would it count if one of the Founding Families had an abortion on a 50th year?
As far as I could tell, the parent had to kill the sacrifice in a certain way.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Otherwise I'm sure the parents would have just shot them or done it in another quick way, without being as personal as suffocation, drowning, and dismemberment.

Self-Seeker
Just Passing Through

Post by Self-Seeker »

^Don't they have to officially pick the kid they're going to off? Wasn't that the reason the ritual was screwed up when Josh died; he wasn't the one who was picked? My idea was that engraving their names on the coffin was part of it, if not the whole thing.

I think that might work, but only if you had given the fetus a name to put on the list as the sacrifice, and could kill them the way you were supposed to, which I think is not possible except for maybe the Holloways or the Fitches.

Also, it's my opinion that Alex took Josh out on the lake to scare him or something. Like maybe a prank because he was feeling jealous and bitter about the ring. I think he saw his dad give it to Josh, right? That was my impression from the flashback. Like he was spying on them or something and that's why it's his flashback?

Well, if my impression is correct, that's my theory.
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

I is hard to say what reason there is but is seemed to me that Alex was acting funny in that scene. Probably did not intend to kil him but scare josh at least. Mabey Alex saw his father give Josh the ring and he took Josh out to the lake to try to pry the truth out. That might expplain that scene in the attic as a memory like when Alex walk into the hunting room in the Basement.
PyramidHead1036
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidHead1036 »

I like the idea of it being a memory, but personally I think that Alex was trying to get Josh to 'break away' from their father, solely because Alex didn't really like Adam at all anyway, and yet he cared for his brother.
o-('_'Q)
Just Passing Through

Post by o-('_'Q) »

I agree, I think he was just trying to seperate his brother and his dad from each other, by showing Josh that their father was wrong about the lake, and was just babying Josh. I remember my older brother doing the same ething to me when we were little, well without the lake or drowning or sacrifice stuff.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

He took Josh out on the lake because Adam never lets them go out on the lake. That simple. Alex wanted to prove he was more grown up than Josh. When he saw the ring, he felt threatened and immediately discounted its worth. We have no proof that Alex saw Adam give Josh the ring. Judging by Alex's reaction when Josh showed it to him, he didn't seem to have known about it. I think the ring flashback was mainly for our benefit more than anything.
Last edited by jthomp1286 on 11 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down