Unsettling details...

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^they do? i'll have to try this tonight.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Yeah, be sure to try this after the Hell Descent section. I'm pretty sure that's when it starts to occur.
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

This one kind of freaks me out a bit,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
In the beginning movie of the game, where Alex is seeing the children being killed.
All of them are Josh.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

I thought they were the other children? The four families' sacrifices were all represented in that sequence.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

Every drawing you receive in the game depicts in someway something that happens.

I especially liked the beginning when the guy who looks like your father gets sliced in half by the PH exactly in the same way that your father gets killed in the end. I also liked how you can hear water flowing in the room that Alex finds the drawing that shows someone drowning after falling off a boat.

The guy who was dying in the hotel. His wife was sleeping with Sam Barlett and if you read his letters it become obvious that he knows he killed his son by burying him in the atrium. Plus if you read the tablets in the bottom of the town hall you can learn they separated from the order and they made some type of pact to ensure their prosperity.

A note in Dr. Fitch's house says that he hasn't been coming to the sessions of a patient that was in Alchemila hospital. And that this patient was making progress.
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

TheRedOne wrote:I thought they were the other children? The four families' sacrifices were all represented in that sequence.
They do represent the sacrifices, but they're all Josh not the other kids.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

Mantorok wrote:
A note in Dr. Fitch's house says that he hasn't been coming to the sessions of a patient that was in Alchemila hospital. And that this patient was making progress.
Could this possibly be Walter from the unused dialogue?
YesNoYes
Just Passing Through

Re: Unsettling details...

Post by YesNoYes »

TheRedOne wrote:Human body parts found within the walls of the sewer stage...
I noticed those too! They creeped me out to no end.

I remember at one point in the game you could examine a set of books and it was revealed that Lillian loved poetry. Later, after the transformation of Alex's home, you were forced to solve a puzzle involving a small poem, a series of masks, and Lillian. I thought it was sort of neat.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Please post that picture here, I don't feel like registering an account there. =)

I tried noticing as much as I could, I will be more careful next time so I can see what's going on. Personally I loved the cemeteries. They felt so enclosed, isolated and yet inviting and eerie at the same time pleasant. Maintained but at the same time it looked abandoned and forgotten by time. It's like a place where you can come to find peace, most cemeteries are just plain open and nothing like this.

Anyone know why the Siam achievement is called "Shades of James"? I've tried to figure it out.
Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kupomee »

The bed at the start of the Hell Descent, with the shadow of Scarlet visible on the sheets and her dead body half sticking out on one side of the bed.
Insanely creepy setpiece.

Lots more like that one, especially on replaying the game when you get all the foreshadowing going on.
"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

- I wonder how that Order member in the suit got stabbed into the wall the way he did, I'm talking about the one where Wheeler opens the door for you when you start breaking up.
- Just after you get the crowbar and are about to climb up the stairs there is this startling sound, I was just about to turn around and start running until I realized that it was just a scare.

I like walking around in the fog, somehow I find it relaxing and really pretty, everything is so desolate and quiet in a peaceful way, everything is so nostalgic. Again I just love walking through the little playground by Alex's house, the backyard of the house, the church and the cemeteries in Shepherd's Glen and Silent Hill, they are so isolated and peaceful, it takes my mind to places.
>Vending machines... Look a little closer next time!
What exactly is up with the vending machines? The only one I saw was the one at Curtis' junkyard, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, except the candy/chocolate brands.

By the way, has anyone figured what the stairs by the truck that you take gas is for? I've climbed them up a couple of times, but I don't see any use to them.
Greiver
Just Passing Through

Post by Greiver »

I think that it is if you need,...to shoot the lurker...?
I have found nothing special about the stairs
I want to know why Curtis is in the end of the game...we see him and are forced to deal with him once...why couldnt it have been wheeler :D was their really anything leading up to his involvment?
shades of james theories --> http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessa ... c=45767951
Checking into reality
Darth Tacos
Just Passing Through

Post by Darth Tacos »

I'd have to say that the achievement is called "Shades of James" because Siam has that woman strapped to his back.
I think this is a nod to James feeling burdened by Mary. Like having all that weight on you, which could be a little representation of Siam relating to James.
I don't know, it's what I got out of it.
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,Silent-spc-Hill,black,white.png[/img][/url]
[i]You know, I don't have an excuse for this one. The lock isn't broken, I just [b]really[/b] don't want to go in there.[/i]
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

What bothers me a lot now was this comment Alex makes upon inspecting a picture in Town Hall. He says something along the lines of how no one but Judge Holloway and Elle wrote letters to him while he was in bootcamp, how his family never bothered to stay in touch. Well... as we know Alex never made it to bootcamp, or to any form of army training whatsoever, and as Elle is totally surprised to see Alex back again (and Judge Holloway would really have no reason to do such a nice thing since.. you know.. she didn't want Alex alive) I think it would stand to reason to suggest that Alex completely fabricated these letters.

Another reason I say this is because how would Alex get the letters? He's stated plainly that his father never liked the Holloways, or Judge Holloway in particular, so I don't see why he would deliver any letters from them to Alex in the hospital. Also, I think Alex's father wouldn't really be able to get away with saying he was going to visit Alex as often as it took for the Holloways to write a letter a week, since visiting a bootcamp-bound soldier is limited, right? You basically only get certain times of the year to see them. And the Holloways certainly couldn't have mailed it directly to the hospital--they'd have known where Alex was, and there'd be no need for the surprise.

Therefore, it just breaks my heart to think that Alex would create this comfort for himself to ride on--it's also reminiscent of Silent Hill 2, which gets extra points in my book for the developers being creative enough to throw in a small detail like that but not bring too much focus on it. After all, unlike James, Alex doesn't harp on about letters he received. You don't even have to examine the painting or bother knowing that detail at all, but once you do read it, and know how the game ends, it hits you pretty hard.

That's a really long entry to describe something so small, heh--but so significant, I think.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

A couple of things I noticed:

In the playground, I don't think it's just child's laughter that can be heard, I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain that the voices of several children can be heard saying "we all fall down". which is pretty damned creepy.

The prison graffitti. Whilst mostly pointless I did notice one that says something like "Jacobs, are you making it snow?" and that stuck in my mind.
Also, the foreshadowing of Adam's death just before the event itself, seen in the stained glass window of the Knight (master of arms?) being impaled from behind.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

When you have your flashlight off and the nurse are near a light source they glow. Now when there belly is light up you can see the image of a child. THought it was weird but defenitally a baby
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

TheRedOne wrote:It's as if the symbol is spreading and growing in size. It's a neat effect. :)
.......Is it a penis?

In seriousness, I haven't played the game yet soooo...yeah, I'm reading all the spoilers. :p

.....Yes I don't really care. I'll play it sooner or later.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

One thing that really made me stop for a moment was the flyer on the street where you first arrive that was advertising the 150th anniversary of the town. I just got this vivid picture of the main street, drenched in sunlight, filled with people, and smelling of fried food. It just made the fog that much more gloomy.

P.S. I still don't have any idea what you mean by the vending machines. Can anyone please explain?
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'll have to play through the game again to catch many of these things. But I loved the atmosphere! There's some really great stuff in thsi game! I especially loved seeing the Church from the outside, btu since there were Smogs around I didn't have time to really casually take it all in, but wow! Also, yeah taht doll part in teh hell descent freaked me out! But there were also moments where I jumped out of my seat whenever a Siam of something would come crashing through! Also I must say that moment in the Hell descent area where you're approaching the room with Dr. Fitch and the boss and teh lights begins shutting off really freaked me out! :shock:
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

Gyah, I just learnt that the Ferals can survive without heads. That made me yelp and drop my controller.