Douglas would've broken his leg in this game, too. . . .

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Do we know for certain that Alex was chosen as the sacrifice from birth?
Yes.
The primary reason Josh could not qualify as the sacrifice is that Adam did not kill him. The parent bearing the family name (father in all families but Holloway) must be the one to kill the child. Furthermore, Josh's death was really an accident, there was no sacrificial intent behind the action so it may not satisfy the god.
That and Josh's name wasn't written on the mausoleum.

As for Holloway's attack on Alex, it was my understanding that the entire Shepherd family needed to be wiped out. Remember that in the Town Hall, there is a boarded up room where Alex finds a portrait of Issac Shepherd, the family founder of his line. Unlike the other founding family portraits, this one is lying carelessly on a table, removed from the wall. Even Alex comments "why is it in here?" Even if we assume that Alex had to die because he was the intended sacrifice (which makes no sense since that's been abandoned), there is really nothing to explain why Lillian has to die. After all, there was nothing she could do about what was happening.
Holloway explains that she's trying to end this Hell by appeasing to God and going back to the old ways, which includes converting everyone and killing those who won't.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

Could you by chance cite the documents or conversations which state that the sacrifices are chosen at birth and their names put on the mausoleum at the same time instead of just insisting upon it. I simply can't remember where this information is located.
Holloway explains that she's trying to end this Hell by appeasing to God and going back to the old ways, which includes converting everyone and killing those who won't.
Yes, but Alex isn't even given the chance to convert. He is knocked out and tied up before she even explains to him what is going on. Then when he insists that he can help her 'with all this' she tells him no because she has to finish what Adam could not. I suppose you could say that she knows he won't convert, but she would still be somewhat obligated to attempt a conversion on Alex.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

She likely wants to completely rid of the Shepherds. As it is them who broke the pact in the first place.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Could you by chance cite the documents or conversations which state that the sacrifices are chosen at birth and their names put on the mausoleum at the same time instead of just insisting upon it. I simply can't remember where this information is located.
I remember reading it in a script dump I don't have anymore (took up too much space), it might have been in the unused dialog or something. Still, since the Shepherds treated Alex like crap his whole life, he was probably chosen at birth.
Yes, but Alex isn't even given the chance to convert. He is knocked out and tied up before she even explains to him what is going on. Then when he insists that he can help her 'with all this' she tells him no because she has to finish what Adam could not. I suppose you could say that she knows he won't convert, but she would still be somewhat obligated to attempt a conversion on Alex.
Alex is a sacrifice, remember? God would want him DEAD, not converted.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
MissUsagi
Just Passing Through

Post by MissUsagi »

Also, if you remember, the stipulations of breaking off from Silent Hill and founding Shepard's Glen was the sacrifices so essentially, Halloway was trying to return everyone in the town back to Silent Hill because the contract was broken. Why she didn't bring Elle back with her, I don't know. I'm assuming the idea was brought up to Elle when The Order captured her and she said 'No, mum. I can do without the crazy cult religion, thanks.'
Still, since the Shepherds treated Alex like crap his whole life, he was probably chosen at birth.
I agree or sometime when he was younger and they expected to have another child. Alex was 8 when Josh was born so it might have been at the moment they put his name on the plaque.

From what I gleam (this might be conjecture), all the founding families must have had at least TWO children to carry on the name/blood or the contract would be broken. Whether or not they pick their first born, I suppose that's up to them. The Halloway's obviously picked Nora over Elle but as to why, I'm not sure. I suppose they thought that Elle was already establishing her life and Nora's was just beginning?

Still, it's kind of disturbing to have to think about which child you'd have to choose if you were in their place. :C
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

Still, since the Shepherds treated Alex like crap his whole life, he was probably chosen at birth.
Sure, if that's the case. However, Alex's blog, specifically the portions I quoted earlier, suggest that he was not treated badly until Joshua was born.
Alex is a sacrifice, remember? God would want him DEAD, not converted.
God wants Adam to kill him, but that's just not going to happen. Judge Holloway's speech makes it very clear that the sacrifice only counts if a parent does it. Besides, given the fact that the sacrifice children plan is being abandoned there's no legitimate reason for her to kill Alex, especially in the manner she does. If she made a valid attempt to drown him, then that would be different. She honestly just seems nuts in that scene.
MissUsagi
Just Passing Through

Post by MissUsagi »

She honestly just seems nuts in that scene.
She totally was. I think she was pretty much at the breaking point of sanity.

Immediately after that scene, I said 'Bitch!' and then Alex said 'Bitch!' and I was like 'Awwwh. Jinx.' Lulz.
[img]http://www.proticus.com/loudchai/yuukosig.gif[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sure, if that's the case. However, Alex's blog, specifically the portions I quoted earlier, suggest that he was not treated badly until Joshua was born.
The journal also gives information Alex can't know, contradicts Homecoming and the other games on multiple accounts, and is just...well, dumb. It's considered non-canonical by most.
God wants Adam to kill him, but that's just not going to happen. Judge Holloway's speech makes it very clear that the sacrifice only counts if a parent does it. Besides, given the fact that the sacrifice children plan is being abandoned there's no legitimate reason for her to kill Alex, especially in the manner she does. If she made a valid attempt to drown him, then that would be different. She honestly just seems nuts in that scene.
Right, I'm not disagreeing. But Holloway's logic is "God wants him dead, he was marked for it. No way am I letting him get away with ruining our entire town and making the death of MY daughter worthless."

Basically, I see her killing him outright for personal vengeance, and justifying it with religion.
MissUsagi
Just Passing Through

Post by MissUsagi »

The journal also gives information Alex can't know, contradicts Homecoming and the other games on multiple accounts, and is just...well, dumb. It's considered non-canonical by most.
Are we talking the little online journal or the pdf downloadable journal?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

PDF downloadable journal. The one where Alex magically has information of the other games and shit, for some reason, and tries to spoonfeed us (incorrect) fan speculation as facts.
MissUsagi
Just Passing Through

Post by MissUsagi »

Ahhh. I did scim that one. I thought the online journal was pretty cannonical, but yeah. That PDF one is like, whaaat?

The online journal was kind of interesting. I wonder who Alex really thinks he's talking to when he thinks he talks to Nash. I figured he was talking to some other deluded soul that just went along with his craziness and was like 'Yeah! Sure! I'm Nash!', lulz.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Where can one download that PDF journal? Sounds interesting. Wrong, but interesting.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

PDF downloadable journal. The one where Alex magically has information of the other games and shit, for some reason, and tries to spoonfeed us (incorrect) fan speculation as facts.
I was talking about the online journal, the blogs rather, that I thought were fairly canonical. I've never even read the downloadable journal, so oh well to that. :)
Basically, I see her killing him outright for personal vengeance, and justifying it with religion.
So God doesn't necessarily want Alex dead, Holloway does, and she probably has several reasons. My point was that another member of the Order, a saner one (does that exist?), might not find his death necessary.
MissUsagi
Just Passing Through

Post by MissUsagi »

Where can one download that PDF journal? Sounds interesting. Wrong, but interesting.

I found it on: http://www.silenthillmemories.net/ It's animated and has sound if I remember correctly.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

So God doesn't necessarily want Alex dead, Holloway does, and she probably has several reasons. My point was that another member of the Order, a saner one (does that exist?), might not find his death necessary.
Well, a saner member of the Order probably wouldn't of called for ritual sacrifices in the first place. "Hey, you guys, maybe we shouldn't worship someone who keeps making us kill our kids. Maybe we should do what those other guys in town did and...get the fuck out of here? Yea?"