Homecoming to be the last in the series?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Are you ready to say goodbye to the town that takes all?

NOOOOOOO! *screams bloody murder*
72%
No, but if it ended, I wouldn't be sad.
16%
Yes, it's run its course. Six installments is enough!
5%
YES! Finally... They should've stopped while they were ahead!
7%

Total votes: 138

ValTanner
Just Passing Through

Homecoming to be the last in the series?

Post by ValTanner »

If you're a fan of Fungo, then you're probably eagerly awaiting his documentary of the series in which he plans to prove that the series should've ended with SH3, (No SH4, no Origins, and no SHH). While I disagree with him on that, simply because I don't want the game series to be over yet, and to think that we could've missed out on Henry, Travis, and now Alex, is just sad.

But, all good things must come to an end...

I read somewhere (nothing official) that "If Homecoming doesn't sell well, it is to be the last of the Silent Hill series." I was just curious as if there was any proof behind this...

My argument (as thin as it is) is as follows:

Two reasons why I believe this to be false info:
1. If it truly were the last, Konami would've surely held out and done it themselves. Why pass off the series to someone else for the last one? They'd wanna do teh last one right, right?

2. Why would they base the ending of the series on how much money comes in? I mean, there's a serious fanbase for the series that will always buy the games, or at the very least, rent them. If it doesn't sell well, it's not because it's a SH game, it's because Double Helix screwed up (which I don't believe they did.) Of course, SHH has reportedly sold only 111,000 in its first week out. Since then, I dunno (couldn't find a solid statistic). But, compare that to SH2, which is the most popular, and supposedly sold well over 1 million copies overall.

I just don't want the series to be over yet...

(Like I said, this quote wasn't from anything official, so there's nothing to back it as being true.)
The hate I hate believing...
I never saw it coming...
You have your orders, soldier...
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

I never want the series to die...

However, sometimes I wonder if the game should have stopped after 3. Then again, some people believe that the first is the only true game in the franchise. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

Personally, I would love to venture into Silent Hill again and again! :D
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Oh Phsaw. Silent Hill will never die! :twisted:
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

I love Silent Hill and I would find it depressing if I knew when the series was going to end.
I mean, in my personal opinion, yeah, SH4 and SH0 weren't quite as stellar as their predecessors. (I am, however, absolutely loving Homecoming.) However, I love making trips to Silent Hill. While I'm sure that if it goes on too long perhaps it could get stale, for me it is certainly not at that point, and I love going back to my favorite town.

It's a town hungry for the lonely, indeed. I play it, then I don't feel alone anymore. (I swear to God there are nurses outside my window whenever I play.)
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I can't wait for fungo's documentary. And I do agree w/ his in that the series "died" at sh3. The first 3 games were amazing, in both plotline and character development. The next 2 (I am not including shv, as I have not yet played it) have just replayed on previous plotlines and character twists.

Not to say that I hate the newst games, or I want the series to stop... it is just that, to me... the real core of Silent Hill, died at the end of sh3.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I'd like to see a few more installments, myself. I think Homecoming was not only a great entry into the series but actually a great game in general. While I love the first four games (and Origins, to a lesser extent) for their story and surrealism, I certainly wasn't into them for their gameplay. However Homecoming I enjoy it a lot for both its story and its gameplay. I'd like to see Double Helix return for another.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on 07 Feb 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Grendel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Grendel »

As of now, nothing about the Silent Hill series at all actually spoils my taste. Let the series live on for as long as it wants to. Meanwhile, I'd appreciatively play their games.

These guys would have to be idiots to stop the History of Silent Hill. There are so many things just waiting to be explored, both about the town itself and the minds of other new characters! Even IF the series is taking a drastic fall, many SH Fans would still gobble up the games like mindless flunkies of some person!
smoke alarm
Just Passing Through

Post by smoke alarm »

I think the lack of sales could also be contributed to the price of the game (at least in the US). I think people are waiting for the price to come down a bit, or even be able to afford the PS3. (for those who don't want to invest in a 360)
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

SH:H is as good as any other in the series, and they managed to improve the gameplay in a sustainable way. I don't see why they should stop making games now.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

As long as someone's willing to make the game for them, Konami have very little reason not to let them use the name.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Droo

Post by Droo »

SH4 may have been broken from a gameplay perspective, but the plot was probably the most symbolically intricate, metaphysical and compelling of the entire series. I don't know why SH3 gets as much love as it does. It was short and the plot was pretty simplistic (cheapening the plot of SH1 in the process, too). Heather was a fully fleshed out character, but everyone else was pretty shallow.

Homecoming was a great mix of playability (I don't think the series has ever been so playable as Homecoming) and decent plot. Nothing groundbreaking plotwise, but certainly better than SH3 and Origins.

Homecoming also sold pretty damn well for a game that hardly received any promotion or marketing. I certainly wouldn't question the future of the series based on Homecoming's performance.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

I would be very unhappy if the series were to end now.
Life changes daily so go with it!
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

I too would be unhappy. I could understand why they would do it but I hope they don't. If they stop "commercializing" it, it could go much further. I'm not saying it's not great or it hasn't come far, because it very much has done so.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

i only look forward to future installments (apart from shitty cellphone-game-things), and playing homecoming, which i still need to get around to.

they don't really have a reason to end the series, do they?
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
alisonclmbs
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by alisonclmbs »

I echo many others to say I'd be absolutely crushed if the SH series were to come to an end. I'm only an hour into SHH right now so I cant say for sure but so far this game is better than Origins & The Room, in my opinion.
And even if the games are good but not quite as good as SH 1-3, we still need to get our Silent Hill fix on!! Just thinking abou the series ending is breaking my heart.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys" Andrew Ryan-Bioshock

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/maddartist/heathersig.jpg[/img]

Thx to Maddartist for my avatar & banner
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Droo wrote:SH4 may have been broken from a gameplay perspective, but the plot was probably the most symbolically intricate, metaphysical and compelling of the entire series. I don't know why SH3 gets as much love as it does. It was short and the plot was pretty simplistic (cheapening the plot of SH1 in the process, too). Heather was a fully fleshed out character, but everyone else was pretty shallow.

Homecoming was a great mix of playability (I don't think the series has ever been so playable as Homecoming) and decent plot. Nothing groundbreaking plotwise, but certainly better than SH3 and Origins.

Homecoming also sold pretty damn well for a game that hardly received any promotion or marketing. I certainly wouldn't question the future of the series based on Homecoming's performance.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with everything.

I have not yet played SH:H, but the positive reactions from so many people is proof enough for the moment.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

I think that a reason why Homecoming hasn't sold as much yet, has to do with both the fact that not a lot of people can afford a PS3/Xbox 360 yet, and the fact that it went to an american developer. Gamers with principles became skeptical about this, including myself. However I got used to the idea, and now I can't wait to play the game, should get it any day now.
I'm really looking forward to the graphics, monsters, gameplay, and of course the real-time transformation to the Nightmare version.

I don't think Konami should just let developers make horror games and let them use the Silent Hill name, that would ruin the series. They should preserve the title and only let developers make a Silent Hill game, if they have real SH-ideas, you know what I mean?
As for the fundamental question for this thread; NO, Homecoming CANNOT be the last game! They should at least make a Silent Hill 6!

I would love to see the falling snow/ash return. It's not included in SH:H is it?

I read that Silent Hill (the movie(s)) are gonna be a trilogy. However, I also read that it's not coming along too good, in the middle of the financial crisis :( They CAN'T cancel the movies.
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

I just got to a certain point in the game where certain individuals from a previous installment are revealed to be amongst the game's antagonists. Although it hasn't entirely ruined the game for me, it's certainly let me down, and indicated that the creators are at the very least reluctant to branch out in terms of creativity and plunge the kind of psychological depths that made SH 2 such a masterpiece. At the most it is indicative of an unwillingness. If the games are going to keep rehashing this way, I'd rather they let the franchise die now instead of becoming the Mega Man of horror games.
Will
Just Passing Through

Post by Will »

I think SH has many history possibilities. There could be a lot of games about the town and a lot of other storylines in other supports, like the comics (dying inside, among the damned...).

But i'm afraid SH Team will run out of ideas...or maybe time will spread some bad writers for the saga (sorry about my english).
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Team Silent didn't develop Homecoming, Double Helix did. The best thing Konami could do with the next game is be a bit more picky about who develops it.
Who's the man? Me!!