Deputy Wheeler (have you noticed that he's black?)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

It's so stupid to misspell "stupid." If you're not gonna contribute to the conversation, don't bother trying, and failing, at insulting everyone in the thread.
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Chrism~ wrote:
think no matter what anyone says, you'll always have this hard-on for him.
The only hard one from me to Wheeler would be the one from a wooden plank, which I would smack him with in the back of his head for not staying in school long enough to learn how to speak or count.
That's cute. He doesn't sound white, so you go down the road of "he dropped out of school." I like it. It's clear, blatant, and explains why we shouldn't include you in the conversation anymore very succinctly.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

All of Chrism's post simply point to him not really caring much for blacks and thinking of them on a lower level. He should start a club with Shoot The Sky.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

lain of the wired wrote:
Chrism~ wrote:
think no matter what anyone says, you'll always have this hard-on for him.
The only hard one from me to Wheeler would be the one from a wooden plank, which I would smack him with in the back of his head for not staying in school long enough to learn how to speak or count.
That's cute. He doesn't sound white, so you go down the road of "he dropped out of school." I like it. It's clear, blatant, and explains why we shouldn't include you in the conversation anymore very succinctly.
How exactly does a white man sound? If I say he sounds like he dropped out of school it's because his grammar and communication skill sucks, and you may call me crazy, because I believe that has nothing to do with the color on his skin. And while I don't expect a piece of Hamlet, I expect something that is at least decent.
Bishop Sasarai wrote:All of Chrism's post simply point to him not really caring much for blacks and thinking of them on a lower level. He should start a club with Shoot The Sky.
Now that's pretty preposterous claim and I'm offended.

Since when does criticizing the way he words himself have anything to do with ethnic group? Like I have stated many times before, just because he is black does not mean that everyone that is black behaves like him, in fact more than 99% don't and that is a fact. You two may not have noticed but there are people who aren't black who talk like that as well. A sociolect does not equal an ethnic background.

My grandpa never went to school while he was a kid because he was working to feed his mother, brothers and sisters. While he never went to school he was a clever guy who learned a lot of the school material on his own while growing up by reading. And he is probably the most well articulated person I know of while writing and reading. He didn't have internet, libraries or any of the vast resources that kids have today, he just had one encyclopedia. What I don't understand, is why it is supposed to be cool to have a guy who can barely run a straight conversation, it's promoting a trend I don't like and there is in fact nothing racist about criticizing just that.

Two of my best friends are in fact black, and they have taken care of their cultural heritage and they don't talk "white" at all (whatever that is), in fact they are original enough to word themselves in their own rich way. My neighbor is an African American, he moved oddly enough to Oslo from New York, and I spend nifty conversations on a weekly basis with him too. No matter if he uses words like shit and s'up, he actually uses them with some context and he has plenty of ways to word himself. That doesn't bother me one bit. My personal trainer is from Ghana and I also talk to him about all kinds of things, mostly training. I have several people that I look up to in sports, history and certain actors that I am fond of, I even have black role models that are a big part of my inspiration.

So do me a favor and shove those silly claims up yours, because my view on Wheeler does not equal my view on an ethnic group.
Last edited by Chrism~ on 06 Sep 2009, edited 1 time in total.
lain of the wired

You two may not have noticed but there are people who aren't black who talk like that as well. A sociolect does not equal an ethnic background.
As I already implied, if he didn't sound like his ethnic background, people would have complained about the voice-acting. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, and nobody's happy, anyway. Unless, of course, you look at him as a means to an end. Which is what he is. His whole purpose in the game is as a necessary placeholder in the script. He served his purpose. Why are you complaining, exactly?
What I don't understand, is why it is supposed to be cool to have a guy who can barely run a straight conversation, it's promoting a trend I don't like and there is in fact nothing racist about criticizing just that.
At what point could he not "run a straight conversation [sic]"? That doesn't even make sense.
So do me a favor and shove those silly claims up yours, because my view on Wheeler does not equal my view on an ethnic group.
Better idea: think before you type things that make you look like a racist.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

lain of the wired wrote:
You two may not have noticed but there are people who aren't black who talk like that as well. A sociolect does not equal an ethnic background.
As I already implied, if he didn't sound like his ethnic background, people would have complained about the voice-acting. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, and nobody's happy, anyway. Unless, of course, you look at him as a means to an end. Which is what he is. His whole purpose in the game is as a necessary placeholder in the script. He served his purpose. Why are you complaining, exactly?
I'm not sure at what you mean by "sounding like his ethnic background". I mean his wording not his intonation. Are you implying that all afro-Americans talk like Wheeler? People always complain about something, why not complain about something bad.

Really purposeful that wheeler guy, running around with a shotgun with unlimited ammo screaming "why won't you die?". Slipping in an unconventional joke. The purpose he served in my opinion was as a mood killer.

Now if you think that driving a boat, handing the main character a location and flipping a few switches at the prison was something that just Wheeler could have done, I strongly disagree. As you said, placeholder, is something more fitting. A chimp or Mr Bean wouldn't be a bad replacement, and I say this with some degree of sarcasm.

I'm not complaining, I'm discussing the topic, because it amuses me.
Better idea: think before you type things that make you look like a racist.
I never did, you jumped into conclusions. I can't even remember saying anything about black or afro Americans when stating my opinion to why I didn't like Wheeler. When this thread started, one of the first things I said was, and I quote; "I don't care if he is black, white or purple".

If you think he represents black people in general, then I guess that you opine that he is a stereotype for black people. I never said he was in my opinion a stereotype of black people.
lain of the wired

Ok, sure, sweetie. Call me a racist. That'll hide the fact that your explanation of why he's such a terrible character doesn't make any sense.
I'm not sure at what you mean by "like his ethnic background". I mean his wording not his intonation.
What does that even mean? "[H]is wording but not his intonation?" That's speech, sweetie. One goes hand-in-hand with the other. It's part of linguistics. When you go to college, take the class.

By the way, you quoted the wrong part to take out of context if you're trying to make me look racist, dear. But please, feel free to try again, since it's all you've got.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I think Token Wheeler is a bad character b/c he's a stereotype of the stereotype of African-Americans: He comes off as a novelty character and as many people as I've met in my 27 years, I've yet to meet a novelty character.

Also, I think Silent Hill: Homecoming is littered w/ too many characters and a few of 'em could have been eliminated. Curtis comes to mind. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

MMY wrote: Also, I think Silent Hill: Homecoming is littered w/ too many characters and a few of 'em could have been eliminated. Curtis comes to mind. . . .
Definitely agreed, felt like i was playing a resident evil game at one point. I mean isn't silent hill supposed to be about isolation and being trapped in your own personal hell?
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

lain of the wired wrote:Ok, sure, sweetie. Call me a racist. That'll hide the fact that your explanation of why he's such a terrible character doesn't make any sense.
I'm not sure at what you mean by "like his ethnic background". I mean his wording not his intonation.
What does that even mean? "[H]is wording but not his intonation?" That's speech, sweetie. One goes hand-in-hand with the other. It's part of linguistics. When you go to college, take the class.

By the way, you quoted the wrong part to take out of context if you're trying to make me look racist, dear. But please, feel free to try again, since it's all you've got.
Can you read what I'm writing instead of jumping into conclusions again, I did not call you or imply that you where a racist... I'm more inclined to call you a hypocrite, because you have still not answered my questions: "How does a white person sound like?" / "How does a black person sound like?". I'm saying that your reasoning for calling me a racist a few posts back was insubstantial, because there is no such thing as behaving like a white/black person without a gross oversimplification, gross oversimplifications are not good arguments. Wouldn't you say that a gross simplification in this case is a stereotype?.. I'm quoting you to make you aware of what you are writing, not to make you look silly.

Intonation is the tone of which you speak in.
Wording is the verbal layout of the words that come out of your mouth, the actual message.
Big difference.

Call me sweetie and patronize me all you want, it doesn't exactly enhance your point. But please use arguments for your cause instead of insulting me, for the sake of the discussion stay on topic.

As for my explanation to why he is a terrible character, my checkpoints:
- He has lacks character depth and back story
- Performs few tasks, no specific motive, no specific reason to why he is trapped in Silent Hill
- He kills the mood

Would you say that this is not understandable?
MMY wrote: Also, I think Silent Hill: Homecoming is littered w/ too many characters and a few of 'em could have been eliminated. Curtis comes to mind. . . .
I do agree with this, Silent Hill wasn't so solitary as it used to be. I also think that Curtis was a weak character, but the first time I met him (when he gives you the gun) it felt as if time stood still. Like there was a pleasant break from the game.
lain of the wired

Call me sweetie and patronize me all you want, it doesn't exactly enhance your point. But please use arguments for your cause instead of insulting me, for the sake of the discussion stay on topic.
I'm not bothering to argue "my cause" with you anymore, because your counter-arguments don't work/are ridiculous. You don't read responses. What's there to argue with? I should have followed my earlier post and ignored you. A mistake I'll not make again.

"On topic," then.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

lain of the wired wrote:
I'm not bothering to argue "my cause" with you anymore, because your counter-arguments don't work/are ridiculous. You don't read responses. What's there to argue with? I should have followed my earlier post and ignored you. A mistake I'll not make again.

"On topic," then.
Your self-righteous reply is just a deflection for that you don't have any response to what I asked you and that you are backing out of the discussion as a result of it.

Do you opine that Wheeler is a well-made character?
I believe that the arguments in this thread against Wheeler are more substantial than the ones defending him. And I believe this might be because as a character, he is poorly developed, meaning that you don't have much characteristic material to be able to defend him properly with.
lain of the wired

I gave my answer a page ago. Lurn 2 reed.

Incidents like this are why I've avoided posting in the game-related threads for so long.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

No matter what anyone thinks of Wheeler, Curtis was by far the worst character in the game, his lines where worse than Wheeler's and served the game only to annoy the player.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Kairu wrote:No matter what anyone thinks of Wheeler, Curtis was by far the worst character in the game, his lines where worse than Wheeler's and served the game only to annoy the player.
Lets just agree that wheeler and curtis were equally crappy characters :D
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

SPRINGS02 wrote: Definitely agreed, felt like i was playing a resident evil game at one point. I mean isn't silent hill supposed to be about isolation and being trapped in your own personal hell?
although what you say is true, SH: Homecoming is different, its a collective purgatory.
BloodRedScarlet
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodRedScarlet »

Chrism~ wrote:
As for my explanation to why he is a terrible character, my checkpoints:
- He has lacks character depth and back story
- Performs few tasks, no specific motive, no specific reason to why he is trapped in Silent Hill
- He kills the mood
*pops in* =D He had a backstory. Not a very detailed one, but he does have one. And I think his motive was his whole 'conspiracy' theory. He wanted to prove 'they' were behind it. :roll:

And what do you mean no reason why he was trapped in Silent Hill? He lived in Shepherd's Glen and gave Alex a lift to Silent Hill but then he got kidnapped. I don't think he was majorly involved or anything, he was just another victim of the Order in my mind.

oooh and and! He's not immortal! I saw him reload AND bleed! *cough* Yeah...just to clear up that. =/ *awkward silence*

Whoa, major hate on Curtis and he was my personal favourite next to Alex. IMO, he didn't get enough screen-time and near the end, they chose to ruin his character. I would've liked more detail on him but whatever. :(

..yes...yes I do have retarded taste in characters. =)
[color=pink]I know. [u]I know[/u].
There's [b]something[/b] I've forgotten
Like [i]a time[/i], [i]a place[/i]...?
A [i][b]shattered memory[/b][/i].[/color]
[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/ScarletMetal/Dahliabedcopy.jpg[/img]
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

BloodRedScarlet wrote:*pops in* =D He had a backstory. Not a very detailed one, but he does have one. And I think his motive was his whole 'conspiracy' theory. He wanted to prove 'they' were behind it. :roll:

And what do you mean no reason why he was trapped in Silent Hill?
It's been a while since I played the game, but I remember him saying something about being from the Bronx and moving to Shepherd's Glen, that's very vague and hardly interesting.

About being in "Silent Hill" or as I meant trapped in the "otherworld", he pretty much ended up there without being directly involved with the Order, neither in ritual or family. I don't buy the conspiracy theory as a reason to be there, because he is a very straight forwardly superficial, he doesn't seem emotionally connected or obsessed enough with the Order to end up there. That's mainly the reason of why I feel that he isn't important enough for the story, lack of motive.
BloodRedScarlet
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodRedScarlet »

Chrism~ wrote:It's been a while since I played the game, but I remember him saying something about being from the Bronx and moving to Shepherd's Glen, that's very vague and hardly interesting.

About being in "Silent Hill" or as I meant trapped in the "otherworld", he pretty much ended up there without being directly involved with the Order, neither in ritual or family. I don't buy the conspiracy theory as a reason to be there, because he is a very straight forwardly superficial, he doesn't seem emotionally connected or obsessed enough with the Order to end up there. That's mainly the reason of why I feel that he isn't important enough for the story, lack of motive.
Yeah true true...it would've been fun if they'd touched up on his past a bit more but I do know he had a dislike for Silent Hill and Adam said he'd never have to go there. :?

Oh I see! Now that I think about the other characters...they were all connected. Elle was Judge Holloway's daughter, Curtis was a member of the Order...hmmm, Wheeler is very very out of place...now that I really think about it. Maybe we should just brand him an unfortunate victim?
Although, I have to lol now that I realize his paranoia is the reason he managed to stay alive. :roll:
[color=pink]I know. [u]I know[/u].
There's [b]something[/b] I've forgotten
Like [i]a time[/i], [i]a place[/i]...?
A [i][b]shattered memory[/b][/i].[/color]
[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/ScarletMetal/Dahliabedcopy.jpg[/img]
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

Wheeler was obviously pulled into the Otherworld because Got hates black ppl mirite?