The woman in the Grand Hotel

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Dark-Dx
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark-Dx »

Poet wrote:Probably. And it does make for good atmosphere. Creepy old lady, hanging around in a hotel populated by unlicensed nurses, a serial rapist, really big four legged spiders, an alcoholic, the ghost of your younger brother, and a tree in horrible need of pruning.
Was that some kind of sarcasm/mocking me? :? (honest question)
Poet
Just Passing Through

Post by Poet »

Hehe, no, it wasn't. In all the fucked up things that happen, no matter who you meet, they can't be what they seem. The innocent child surrounded by monsters is never an innocent child.
So the almost-harmless old woman in the abandoned hotel may well be a God, testing your character.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes.
Devilsknight
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Devilsknight »

Poet wrote:Hehe, no, it wasn't. In all the fucked up things that happen, no matter who you meet, they can't be what they seem. The innocent child surrounded by monsters is never an innocent child.
So the almost-harmless old woman in the abandoned hotel may well be a God, testing your character.
Or just a random reason for you to acually explore the Hotel ^^
When I grow up I want to be Mockingbird.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

Lol, it's kind of how the games operate, you have so little to show for each area except a key or something, after exploring an entire building (2 times) it's like 'couldn't you have just given me the key to start with?' But yeah without all that it would be a really short, fulfilling game :D
"The Body Is Cold?"
Dark-Dx
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark-Dx »

o.o that would be interesting, we haven't seen a "god" since silent hill 3, they should make one appear in the next silent hill, maybe even a good god? I know silent hill is not about evil vs good but it would be interesting nonetheless. Maybe the good part of alessa could reappear?
Poet
Just Passing Through

Post by Poet »

Hehe, Silent Hill Homecoming: The Abridged Version.

Introduction scene:
ALEX: Thanks for the ride.
TRAVIS: No problem, Soldier. But be careful if you go to Silent Hill. That place is possessed or something.
ALEX: Thanks.
QUE THEME SONG

Scene 1: Alex Arrives in Sheppard's Glen.
ALEX: I'm home.
ALEX'S FATHER: How'd you get out of the asylum?
DRAMATIC MUSIC PLAYS

Scene 2: Alex arrives at Curtis's place
CURTIS is dressed in his Order clothing: Oh, it's the sacrif—I mean, the Sheriff's kid!
DRAMATIC MUSIC PLAYS

Scene 3: Alex arrives in Silent Hill
ALEX: A hotel?
OLD WOMAN: Here's the key. Bring hedge clippers.
DRAMATIC MUSIC PLAYS
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

o.o that would be interesting, we haven't seen a "god" since silent hill 3, they should make one appear in the next silent hill, maybe even a good god? I know silent hill is not about evil vs good but it would be interesting nonetheless. Maybe the good part of alessa could reappear?
No offense, but that would be really lame. Most likely, the woman was an ordinary world who's perception of reality crossed over with the protagonist's, just like Ernest in SH2.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Devilsknight
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Devilsknight »

Poet wrote:Hehe, Silent Hill Homecoming: The Abridged Version.

Introduction scene:
ALEX: Thanks for the ride.
TRAVIS: No problem, Soldier. But be careful if you go to Silent Hill. That place is possessed or something.
ALEX: Thanks.
QUE THEME SONG

Scene 1: Alex Arrives in Sheppard's Glen.
ALEX: I'm home.
ALEX'S FATHER: How'd you get out of the asylum?
DRAMATIC MUSIC PLAYS

Scene 2: Alex arrives at Curtis's place
CURTIS is dressed in his Order clothing: Oh, it's the sacrif—I mean, the Sheriff's kid!
DRAMATIC MUSIC PLAYS

Scene 3: Alex arrives in Silent Hill
ALEX: A hotel?
OLD WOMAN: Here's the key. Bring hedge clippers.
DRAMATIC MUSIC PLAYS

Or even better :
ALEX : Thanks for the ride
TRAVIS : No worries. Picking you up by that mental hosptial gott my all worried that you would kill me like you did with your brother.
ALEX : Huh ?

Flashbacks > Travis truck turns into the last boss.

The End.
When I grow up I want to be Mockingbird.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

:D Thats just scary... Hehe.. but I like it.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Poet
Just Passing Through

Post by Poet »

So Travis's truck is a robot in disguise?
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Origins' joke ending totally should've involved Optimus Prime.
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

Doesn't the woman in the Grand Hotel having something to do with the various notes you find lying around, about how the hotel manager's wife was sleeping around while the manager was ill, or something to that effect?

So ya, she's a slut. :P
MMY wrote:I'd totally penis her.
She and Maggie Holloway in the three-way.

DeMarcus
Just Passing Through

Post by DeMarcus »

When playing this game and coming up to that part, I became obsessed with who this mysterious woman was also. The first thing I thought of was Mary Shepherd-Sunderland and heres why;

* When we approach the woman in the Hotel she gives us her first hint, saying "No one comes to visit anymore", James didn't visit Mary in the hospital because the terminal disease she had altered her skin tone and made her seem less beautiful.
Next, she tells Alex its "hard to watch something die", possibly referencing to James murderering Mary (everyones played SH2, right?), and the guilt that followed (she was his wife, he still loved her and it was hard for him).
"You have a kind voice" then the almost sarcastic laugh follows. James was a kind person deep down, eventhough he killed his wife.

* The postcards;

Alchemilla - I long for the days before my illness overtook me. From my window I can see a large oak. The leaves are ablaze - yellow and red - and with each day more of them fall. When the sun is low, the shadows from its branches trail across my walls, but soon after the darkness fills the room. Please come and see me soon, I want to share one more memory with you, while I still can. Love always.

Tolcua Lake - I have some sad news to share, yesterday I took out a boat - as far as I could row - and I dipped my face into the cold, clear water. As I leaned over the side of the rowboat, my necklace caught on the oar and the chain snapped. I saw your precious gift slip into the blackness, I wanted to dive in after it, but the water was so icy so deep. Please forgive me, I miss you.

Lakeside Amusment Park - What a wonderful day, the smell of cotton candy and the sound of laughter filled the air. Days like this make me appreciate what it was like to be young and carefree. Family is the most important thing - and our children are the future. I only wish I could feel that innocent again. See you soon.

Alchemilla references Mary's stay at the hospital and her longing to see her husband, James, who never visited her as her condition seperated the two (she'd lash out at him) but she obviously still loved him and wanted to see him one more time before she left this world.
Tolcua references the lake the two would row out to together, it could also reference the "In Water" ending, eitherway its something James and Mary were connected to in their special place of Silent Hill. Also, Tolcua Lake was the same lake Josh drowned in.
Lakeside Amusment talks about being innocent and children, Mary obviously longed for a child as she wanted to adopt Laura (the little girl from SH2).

*The lullaby the woman sings could very well be a reference for Mary's longing to adopt Laura if things had turned out differently. Her longing for a child of her own; not to mention the theme for SHH is children.

*Alexs' last name is Shepherd, Mary's surname before she married James Sunderland was Shepherd as well. Maybe the two are connected somehow thats not been mentioned by either developers, but the fact the two share the same surname shouldn't be ignored or classed as a coincidence, likewise their meeting. Maybe the fact they share the same names is another strong reference for the identity of this mysterious woman.

*When Alex returns to give the woman the postcards, or her "memories" as she put it, theres a trail of bugs leading to her door. When a body has decomposed, flies are attracted to the smell, these bugs appear to have wings, whoever is behind that door could very well be dead and for how long...3 years?

My conclusion is that this mysterious woman IS in fact Mary from Silent Hill 2, all the points just scream this. But if this is Mary then it just raises another question; is Mary's soul still trapped inside Silent Hill or is it just a manifestation made up from the town itself? Guess we'll never really know.

Thoughts?
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

I love that theory! I wish it wasn't true, though. Mary wouldn't cheat on James, and her soul is at rest.
Dream_Demon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Dream_Demon »

The first time I played through this, I didn't tihnk anything of it. But during my second play through I paid attention to her words and her voice. She sounds like Alex's mother. It just seems more likely to me then Mary; although I wish Mary was somehow in this game. You talk to Alex's father in the confession, why not his mother as well?

The Alchemilla post card does make me think of Mary. But, you must remember what kind of state his mother is in. She could have very well become ill due to the lose of her son, the overall beginning stress dealing with Alex and the town. She misses Josh terribly, to the point where I can see her becoming ill to the point of bed ridden. While Alex's father is against going to Silent Hill, it could've turned to the point she had become so ill they were in need of a hospital.

The Toluca Lake one is pretty much self explanitory. It's the memory of the death of Josh. While she wasn't there to witness it, she knew what occured and happened. She knew Josh had the necklace, and knew that because of it he drowned in the Lake. It could also be part of Alex saying he didn't want to jump in, which we know he didn't. Nobody did, it looked like he was fished up with a net.

The Lakeside Amusement Park one is the only one that is hard to come up with a theory. It's possible she could've taken her children here. But if it's in Silent Hill, which I believe it is, it was probably something that was not allowed. And it isn't in Alex's memories, although he did lose many of his. Without any indication other then the postcard it makes it a weak theory.

I still feel that this was, in some way, his mother is communicating to Alex the way his father does in he confessional.

Also, DeMarcus, those bugs are everywhere. If you follow them, they actually lead your way throughout the hotel. If you trace their trail back, before you search for the post cards, the bugs spawn and crawl out from a bed in the room next to the woman's. After you get the postcards, the trail changes to lead you from the broken wall to the Woman's door. This can still go with your theory, but I found it neat that it's a kind of 'follow the spiders' thing from Harry Potter occuring. =P!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The woman's name is Carol, so no, it's not Mary.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

^ ... and that fact too <_<

I knew that....
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>You talk to Alex's father in the confession, why not his mother as well?
Mary isn't Alex's mother.

The entire point of this sequence was to allude to Mary. The simple fact, however, is Mary is entirely absent from the game, and no amount of theorizing will suddenly manifest her.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

MMY wrote: Mary isn't Alex's mother.
She was saying she finds it more likely to be Alex's mother than to be Mary.
HappySiam
Just Passing Through

Post by HappySiam »

i totally thought that something HUGE would happen once i gave her the stuff like "FUCK YOU THIS ISNT WHAT I WANTED RRRRAAAARRRRRR" and then she ripps off yer balls but no. she was polite and gave me my key.

BUT SERIOUSly she had the most soothing voice i have ever heard.

Does any one else think that may have been Judge Halloway?
hi