Is the combat system in Homecoming as fun as it looks?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

The combat system is stupidly easy once you get the hang of it. The hack and slash aspect isn't all that fun (nor is it in the other games), but using the dodge button to not get massacred by every monster you come across seems to be. :D
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

Oh, the game combat system is fun as hell, finally some control!!! (+ the camera thing where im not scared if i walk somewhere it will turn on me and i will not see a thing)

Its just awesome how you can aim the guns to monsters head, so f*ing fun ... couldnt be more pleased!

Its not SH alike, but we had that all too much.

Althou - SH5 didnt have those interesting angles that SH was famous for, i dont remember if it had but couple of them.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Well, I thought that the combat system was great. Damn fun, you know. With the knife not really, only if you did that 4 or 5 combo stuff. But since I only unlocked 2 weapons I'd say that my favorite weapon in the game is the Pipe :lol:
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Eraserhead wrote:button mashing.
It was way too complicated.
If I wanted button mashing I'd play street fighter, thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOxY_nH ... re=related

My eyes are bleeding profusely right now.

I'm going to admit I kinda liked the boss fights, everything else was lol.
Your weaboo is showing
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

hAhahahaha cooool. Too funny!

Yeah, maybe they should of made an option for one button "action" (XD) for those that find it complicated! Lolz
MooseFlanagan
Just Passing Through

Post by MooseFlanagan »

I loved Homecoming's combat system. The enemies needed to be stronger, and I wish you didn't get the best weapon in the entire game at the very beginning, but nevertheless it was a nice change from "*THWACK* *THWACK* THWACK*...Is it dead yet? Oh shit, it got back up. *THWACK*"
"So what if the world hands me a pile of shit? I'll comb through it for the corn. I'll dodge enemy bullets by a hair's breadth. I'll slaughter Mimics with a single blow. If Rita Vrataski is a goddess on the battlefield, I'll watch and learn until I can match her kill for kill. I have all the time in the world. Nothing better to do. Who knows? Maybe something will change. Or maybe I'll find a way to take this fucking world and piss in its eye. Only time will tell."
Zigana
Just Passing Through

Post by Zigana »

mortmortmorty wrote:
Severeth wrote:I loved it. Fun stuff. However, I didn't like that you had to aim the gun yourself this time... I like having Silent Hill aim for me. :P
AGH OMG MOST FRUSTRATING THING FOR ME HAS BEEN THE SHOOTING. i totally agree. it takes the emphasis off the psychological horror. D:
*possible spoilers*

Well, I think it works very well. It's annoying to us, but Alex believes he was a soldier in the war. His mentality is completely different than any other character because he is under the impression that he fought in battles. With this, he would look at a monster completely different to lets say..Heather who would basically just beat/shoot things until they died. He would look and find a strategy to what would be best to destroy the monster, so the game makes you experience that as well.
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/Raito_Yagami/alice-1.gif[/img]
Lobsel Vith
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lobsel Vith »

Since there is a short supply of ammo, you need to learn early on to fight more strategically than normal, such as using tables, chairs, doorways, etc. to stall enemies.

However, I did enjoy the boss fights in this game much more than the previous SH games.
Baker
Just Passing Through

Post by Baker »

MMY wrote:At first, sure, albeit slightly tedious. Then it just becomes tedious & routine, always.
:lol: Those are my thoughts exactly. The part where you fight like 5 needlers before the boss fight is really tedious.
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/Urahara7/SilentHill3ilogySig.jpg[/img]
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

Personally, I don't like the combat system. It felt like I was playing one of those wwf games where you're in an arena and you have to beat the enemy into a submission.
The whole dodge and roll thing was probably good in concept, but I don't think it was keyed right, still way to easy to be hit.
It was just annoying to me. I miss the Silent Hill that was driven by story, characters, scenery, puzzles and combat didn't get in the way.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

I thought it was sweet when I got used to it. They key thing is timing your blocks (especially when fighting needlers).
SHF

Post by SHF »

I thought the combat and stuff was a step up with the silent hill series. Aiming the gun yourself was an awesome idea, cause it gives a surreal feeling to it.
The dodging is a little slow, but it makes you learn how to time it. Above all, i was/am highly impressed by the game.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I only hope that more SH games like Homecoming comes. No running away, fight for your life damn it.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Mephisto wrote:I only hope that more SH games like Homecoming comes. No running away, fight for your life damn it.
Yeah, I actually would love a new game like homecoming. Just a bit more original. Although Homecoming's atmosphere was awesome
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Sirea
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Sirea »

Falconv1.0 wrote:
Eraserhead wrote:button mashing.
It was way too complicated.
If I wanted button mashing I'd play street fighter, thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOxY_nH ... re=related
Oh my god, that is THE GREATEST response to that comment that could've ever been made by anyone anywhere. I nearly just wet myself laughing and had to show a few of my friends. lmfao A+++++ man. xD

Anyway, uh. To address the original poster, it takes some getting used to. The first time I played through Homecoming, I actually restarted the game completely from the beginning because I had reached the sewers and for some reason hadn't figured out that the dodge button had practical use yet. Once you get the dodge down, the game is hella fun. Needlers are actually my favorite enemy to fight now, even though everyone else seems to have problems with them. And my greatest accomplishment was when I killed Asphyxia without getting hit once. :D
"Remember how people look in "The Ring" after Samara gets 'em? SH2 does something similar, only you get fat, sweaty and belligerent." - pianotheme @ livejournal
Dante
Just Passing Through

Post by Dante »

For me,the combat system kills the suspense of being chased by the monsters.

And it got really boring because this SH always forces you to fight the monsters.

And because of that I finished it only twice,with the normal and Water ending.
[img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/811/renadelusions.jpg[/img]
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I felt it added suspense since you do have to fight the monsters.

I didn't find anything suspenseful about being able to dance away from most of the enemies in the old games, to be honest.
SHF

Post by SHF »

It had more of a survival taste to it. Instead of being the prey that uses evasion, Alex actually was fearless. Plus the fact that you could only hold limited ammo made the game more of a challenge and therefore more suspenseful.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]