The part with the drill

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Whispered-Rain
Just Passing Through

Post by Whispered-Rain »

To be honest, I was so disgusted with Judge Holloway by that point that I was pretty satisfied seeing her getting drilled in the face. Granted I'm sure I still had a "holy shit" look on my face.
The terribly unrealistic part is that when you go back in that room to save your progress after you rescue Elle, she will follow you back in the room but never comments about her dead mother.
Yea, I was kind of disappointed by that too. If they weren't going to take the time to have her react then at least have her not enter the room.
However, I've seen far worse unrealistic\idiotic things in games to let that slip. Although I don't buy that they just assumed you weren't going to go back in the room.
How are you supposed to know you wont get your ass kicked when you turn the corner?
The sensible thing to do is save of course! ;p Especially if you're a paranoid saver, like me!
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

For all of you dissing Saw, watch the first one again. If you pay attention, there's far less gore than you would expect, given the sequels. It focuses on mystery and suspense more than anything.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

The first and second saw aren't half bad(I always found the concept really interesting) but now its at the point where that series is a franchise and it seems like each new installment gets worse and worse.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I haven't seen 5 or 6, and I felt that 3 and 4 seriously overcompicated the series. My main gripe is that it's become purely about the spectacle at this point. The first is the only one to actually scare me, especially the dark apartment camera flashing scene.
TEARO
Just Passing Through

Post by TEARO »

Wow.. People are really saying they hated it because it was Cheap gore?

Well, first of all I appreciated it and enjoyed it a lot.

The judge using the drill showed how messed up she was, and when a person uses a drill to kill you, and you are able to defend yourself. I don't think you're just going to restrain them. Especially when you were in a position where your surest way of escaping is turning that drill around the other end.

It had nothing to do with being hardcore or what ever. I think it was more like "We can show how messed up she is by giving her a drill".. And then they thought.. How can we kill her? .. Well the drill is already there.
Just Passing Through

Post by 206 »

I agree with you TEARO. It must have been much too convenient for them to just not use it.
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

Post by PyrmidHeadPwner »

Amazing scene. Just played it. The moment when I first saw Judge Holoway, I was thinking, "Man, I really want to ram a drill into her face..."
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

The quick-time events in that scene make me think of heavy rain, now that I've played it.
Bluebolt77
Just Passing Through

Post by Bluebolt77 »

I thought the drill scene was cool except that while you are breaking free from the restraints Judge H just kinda pays no attention to Alex at all. @_@
Let Silent Hill purify you.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

I thought it was an interesting way to kill her. Wasn't my favorite moment or anything, but I did think it was a pretty new idea rather than just shooting her over and over again in some boss fight.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Harlequin wrote:I thought it was an interesting way to kill her. Wasn't my favorite moment or anything, but I did think it was a pretty new idea rather than just shooting her over and over again in some boss fight.

^^^This....and i'm nit-picking a bit, but after that drill scene, they probably could've made alex limp for the rest of the game....she drilled his leg to what looks to be down to the bone....i get that alex fights other monsters and gets injured along the way, but for that small section until the ending of the game it might've worked, or least have his leg bandaged....overall tho i had no problems with this scene...
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

^ I agree. I'm a stickler for details and I always thought it remarkable that Alex wasn't injured after that. Maybe he thinks he's Superman and the pain won't bother him.

Hell, I'd be crying like a baby, let alone limping my ass off.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

That's the only thing that really bugs me about that scene. I mean did they really expect no one to question why he's totally fine after getting a fricken drill in the leg?
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Daisukenojo
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Daisukenojo »

What are you guys talking about? I get my leg drilled almost daily and do combat rolls and hit crazy cult members with my knife.

I to find that it was pretty ridiculous.
Last edited by Daisukenojo on 14 Jun 2010, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Catch22"]Wait, wasn't the guy in the trailer wearing a shirt? You know who else wore a shirt? Hitler.

Hitler confirmed as SH6 protagonist.[/quote]
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Actually, they could have had no real enemies from there to the end of the game (except Curtis) and it would have worked, or only one or two for him to overpower in cutscenes or sommat, then he unlocks the final door and is perfectly healthy again, demonstrating that this room is his "Nowhere" and he's not hurt because he doesn't need to be. Kill Amnion, and he's limping again. I'd have found that to have more.. continuity.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

As much as I enjoy realism, it would've been way too hard to put down Curtis, possibly Amnion, and 12 Order soldiers, with a limp. :mrgreen:
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Didn't have to move to put down Curtis. POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP DONE.
He doesn't get back up.
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

Didn't have to move to put down Curtis. POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP DONE.
He doesn't get back up.
Though that may be correct, I like to conserve my ammo, since he really isn't that hard of a boss. He thinks he's so tough with that giant saw. I'll show him... Plus it gets out my anger.
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

PyrmidHeadPwner wrote:As much as I enjoy realism, it would've been way too hard to put down Curtis, possibly Amnion, and 12 Order soldiers, with a limp. :mrgreen:
All the more reason to keep the Hostel crap out in the first place.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

I'm too lazy at this time of day to go poking around through pages to find quotes of things that have been brought up multiple times. Sooo...

Alex should be strong enough to easily overpower Holloway, except for the fact he was hit in the head, hard enough to knock him about for an unknown amount of time. Aside from being extremely painful, something like that could possibly cause decreased motor skills, dizziness, nausea, etc. Not to mention the sheer shock of someone you grew up around, someone you trusted, someone who was nice to you when few others were suddenly go batshit crazy and try to kill you. His physical capacity is going to be diminished.

I play on xbox360, and Elle won't go in that room for me either. However, it's obvious that she knows at least some of what her mother is up to. After all, Elle is suffering the consequences of failing to convert when Alex finds her, and the first words out of her mouth are "my mother!" to which Alex replies "Elle, I'm sorry." She probably has some idea that her mother's dead, and she'd be suffering from the same aforementioned shock as Alex.

As for Alex not limping, it doesn't bother me. Characters get hurt in games all the time and pop right back up like nothing happened, this time it just happened during a quick-time event rather than regular gameplay. Besides, his focus shifts to Elle. People suffering from extremely painful injuries have been known not to feel the pain in high adrenaline situations- of course its an exaggerated effect, but it's a game.

It's not my favorite part of the game, but I think it works. She displays a whole new level of hatred and insanity. Bitch needed to die, and it wouldn't have really worked to have her go down in a typical battle. It also doesn't come off as a calculated attack. No matter how awful she is, there's a certain foulness to killing a maternal figure. The moment's desperation excuses it somewhat. Furthermore, it's not supposed be a scary moment, but rather one of shock and disgust- which it is.