The part with the drill

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Re: The part with the drill

Post by SPRINGS02 »

It's the style of violence. I have no problem with violence but it's how it's used. The first 4 were more creative with violence. But technically they weren't as violent as some people think. You usually saw bloody rooms and things in the environment(allowing your imagination to mess with you), you didn't often see somebody violently killed. SH4's victims weren't even that violent, i mean one guy got electrocuted but other than that you don't really SEE violent deaths. You just see the aftermath which leaves your mind to wonder. SHH's drill scene felt out of place and corny for a silent hill game IMO. It's not even scary, it's a lady with a power tool. Silent hill to me has never been about things like that.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

but i think it fit into this game perfectly fine i dont see the problem with it

i mean nobody complained when you saw dahlia fryed in silent hill 1

also what is the difference between shooting Eddie or beating Walter Sullivan
you are still committing violent acts
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Dahlia getting fried by the god was justice.
Killing Eddie was self defense.
Beating Walter was self defense.

It would've been one thing to kill her in normal combat, but the power drill was a little hostel feeling for some people. It was like they put it in there just for the shock factor.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think Marathon Man is a more apt comparison than Hostel. At the very least, it's a far superior film. But really, who are we to say what belongs in a Silent Hill game? Sure, we pay up to own the games, but the developers put way more time and money into it than we do. I say that gives them a certain amount of leeway.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

They have to keep us happy so we'll keep buying the games. So they can stay in business. That's good enough for me.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

SPRINGS02 wrote:It's the style of violence. I have no problem with violence but it's how it's used. The first 4 were more creative with violence. But technically they weren't as violent as some people think. You usually saw bloody rooms and things in the environment(allowing your imagination to mess with you), you didn't often see somebody violently killed. SH4's victims weren't even that violent, i mean one guy got electrocuted but other than that you don't really SEE violent deaths. You just see the aftermath which leaves your mind to wonder. SHH's drill scene felt out of place and corny for a silent hill game IMO. It's not even scary, it's a lady with a power tool. Silent hill to me has never been about things like that.
That's my thoughts on the drill scene exactly. Sure, the other games just had the aftermath of violence, but it was more disturbing because it allowed the player's imagination to run wild with possible scenarios. It had the ability to put the player on edge even more because we didn't know exactly what happened, or what might still be lurking around, waiting for us to drop our guard. The drill part was just too in your face (no pun intended), and needlessly violent for violence sake. Still, it didn't prevent me from enjoying the game any less. As a SH game I think Homecoming is crap, but as a stand alone title it's not bad (I liked it).
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i thought it was a fine silent hill game

was it the best no.....

and also the part with the drill is self defense
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

I love that scene. :D Made me laugh when Alex said "BITCH!"
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^It was especially funny for me because the subtitle popped up way ahead of the actual line. BITCH. Okay, wait for it... "BITCH!"
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by BlackRose »

Hannah wrote:I hated it. It was such a cheap gore scene.

You know, both Claudia and Dahlia were quite a bit more insane than Holloway and we didn't quite have to drill them in the face. It was completely unnecessary and just used to show you how 'hardcore' the game was. It wasn't a satisfying end for her, either (she killed the whole town and died in a relatively hilarious fashion? Are you kidding me? Make her suffer. Even Alex's dad got worse and he wasn't as bad as she was.). It was the cheesiest, stupidest death in the whole series.

Though I have a beef with Holloway as an antagonist anyway.
I agree 100%. Then again Homecoming didn't feel like a Silent hill game to me anyway. A lot of stuff in that game just seemed tacked on. The story was dire and the ending so blindingly obvious that you would have to have been in a coma not to see it coming.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

Nope, don't like it. Also don't like the introscene of Homecoming. That looked a lot like the environment of Hostel. But I guess thats what you could expect.

Didn't really found it gruesome btw, I just found it lame.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The intro scene was one of the most well-done parts of the game. It foreshadows the events of the game in a way that you'll only notice on replayed games. I thought that was a nice touch and showed that Double Helix at least put in a little effort.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

The intro technically was put together well, but i found it to be pretty cliche.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Was I the only person who got the Jacob's Ladder vibe from that intro?

SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^No a lot of people did, actually i think double helix said something about paying homage to jacobs ladder. I still haven't seen that movie though so i couldn't tell if they were or not.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

It did remind me of the hospital scene in Jacob's Ladder.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

leftshoe18 wrote:The intro scene was one of the most well-done parts of the game. It foreshadows the events of the game in a way that you'll only notice on replayed games. I thought that was a nice touch and showed that Double Helix at least put in a little effort.

Hmm, I didnt say they did not put effort in it. On contrary I think they did put a lot of effort to satisfy the fans. They just seem to miss 'the touch'. I have to admit that the intro was slightly frightening but it really reminded me more to Hostel then Jacob's Ladder (people being tortured, since when is that a part of Silent Hill?).

The inclusion of the Order and all the other characters were the factor that really killed the atmosphere the most in my humble opinion. I never felled any despair.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

leftshoe18 wrote:The intro scene was one of the most well-done parts of the game. It foreshadows the events of the game in a way that you'll only notice on replayed games. I thought that was a nice touch and showed that Double Helix at least put in a little effort.
Silent hill 3 did the same thing. Theme park, anyone?
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

BlackRose wrote:
Silent hill 3 did the same thing. Theme park, anyone?
If you're referring to the theme park dream at the beginning, then that's a premonition, which is not the same as foreshadowing. If that's not what you're talking about then apologies for misunderstanding.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

leftshoe18 wrote:It did remind me of the hospital scene in Jacob's Ladder.

Remind? It was almost shot-for-shot like the Hospital scene. I has kind of doing this the whole time:

It is the exact same... WHAT?! I mean, usually they draw inspiration from movies and TV shows, but not shot-for-damn-shot. Sad.

It could've been worse. : /