Alex's "war"

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

shfreak235
Just Passing Through

Alex's "war"

Post by shfreak235 »

for you who don't know,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Alex never went to war but went to a mental hospital.
if this is true how is it even posible that alex imagend it?
i don't know about you but in my opinion it is very hard to imagine something as big as an expierince as going to war.
i mean delutions can be pretty real but it would be pretty hard imagining going to war as you are sitting in a straight jacket.

im still a noob so if this is a weak theory just let me know. theres just not much to talk about that hasn't already been done.

just trowing it out there.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

Well, daddy was a soldier and all that. He could've been telling Alex stories about whatever war he was in, and it's not that hard to fill in the gaps with movies like Saving Private Ryan and the like.

Let's remember that James had a very similar delusion in that
he believed his wife had been dead for three years and that he didn't, you know, kill her. He only had three days to come up with that delusion, too. Alex probably had a few months.
Silent Hill can easily convince a person that they were somewhere for however long it needs them to be convinced. It's not like between manifesting the deepest, darkest part of your guilt and dragging you into another dimension it couldn't conjure up a few hazy memories.

...Also, am I the only one who finds it a little redundant to spoiler things in a forum marked 'spoilers'? ._.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
shfreak235
Just Passing Through

Post by shfreak235 »

Hannah wrote: Let's remember that James had a very similar delusion in that
he believed his wife had been dead for three years and that he didn't, you know, kill her. He only had three days to come up with that delusion, too. Alex probably had a few months.
...Also, am I the only one who finds it a little redundant to spoiler things in a forum marked 'spoilers'? ._.
yes but that was just a represed momory of a few seconds. alex on teh other hand was in the hospital for 4 years before the opening nightmare.

and no you are not but one of the admins gets realy pissed if you dont so im just trying to avoid 4 and a half pages of arguing if you should mark spoilers for people who havn't beat the game but for some reason are in the spoiler section.
Pisses me off 2! :evil:
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

Well, if Alex was truly in a state of shock (I think a memo said he was unresponsive for the most part?) or out of his mind, he wouldn't actually have much to repress*. Or he could have just been making up the entire thing while he was out. Or a wizard did it. Whichever.

James had to only repress a few key moments, sure, but
he had to make up an entire three years in a span of a few days. Granted, I don't think he ever actually specifically mentions any defining moments in those years, so he could just have - oh lord, my head hurts - been under the impression that it had been three years, and not had the memories to back it up. Kind of like when you're drunk and you black out. You know time has passed, you just don't quite remember what happened in that time.
The moment Josh died, and however long it took him to get his father and fish the corpse out. After that it could just be super happy 'I'm goin' to war now!' time.

I kind of thought it was pretty common knowledge that Alex never went to war now.
Oh well, I'll still mark the spoilers until someone comes and tells me I'm an idiot and to stop doing that. :B
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

When people become delusional and create false memories for themselves, they use something called an imagination, which lets the mind create false experiences no matter how outlandish, significant, or divorced from reality. Imagination is how the Silent Hill series was made, you know. Except for 0rigins.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

AuraTwilight wrote:When people become delusional and create false memories for themselves, they use something called an imagination, which lets the mind create false experiences no matter how outlandish, significant, or divorced from reality. Imagination is how the Silent Hill series was made, you know. Except for 0rigins.
when i read your post, i couldn't help but say imagination like spongebob, "imaaginaaaationnn"

sorry, bit of a dork :)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Is it bad that I was thinking of Spongebob too?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
shfreak235
Just Passing Through

Post by shfreak235 »

AuraTwilight wrote:When people become delusional and create false memories for themselves, they use something called an imagination, which lets the mind create false experiences no matter how outlandish, significant, or divorced from reality. Imagination is how the Silent Hill series was made, you know. Except for 0rigins.
ha ha. :roll:
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

You two should gtfo of my head. Right now.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

AuraTwilight wrote:Is it bad that I was thinking of Spongebob too?
Ah, Robot Pirate Island. Classic.
nobody is anybody
cedar grove
Just Passing Through

Post by cedar grove »

also in the cutscence where josh dies, you can hear alex whipering soming like "no no i can fix this" so his mind could already be creating the false reality that josh is alive. Also to help make him think he was in the war(the hospital probly thought that they were helping) hospital was probaly giving him strong drugs.

**This was a mod edit, brought to you by Krist. OP: please take a look in the SH2 section for the answer to your question. Thank you!
what does no man want, but dosent want to lose either?
a lawsuit.
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

I still think Alex's delusion is unrealistic. I mean, James's only lasted for a day, and he didn't really re-invent three years, he just deleted Mary from them. He's suffering from a temporary nervous break down or PTSD. Alex is just plain batshit. He lived out his delusion for four years, not only deleting Josh's death, but inventing events, letters and people and apparently interacting with them. His delusions seem unrealistic, even more so considering that upon returning from Shepherds Glenn he abandons his imaginary friends, and isn't suddenly transported to war, and upon finding out he's crazy, all of his memories come back and he ends up automatically cured.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Though the "Automatically cured" thing is kind of bogus, there really ARE people who make up entire delusionary worlds and interact with them the way Alex did in real life, often lasting much longer than four years.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

MMY wrote:IMAGINATION!
This wins
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Aura's right.

Study the human mind, it's a pretty complex thing. I studied psychology for a while in college; not a great deal, but enough to learn about how the mind can work in instances like these. Some people have been reported to have erased and rewritten years of their past in order to escape a trauamatic event.

Take some rape victims for instance. Some of them are so disgusted with what has happened to them that they'll convince themselves and others that it never happened; effectively erasing it.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

AuraTwilight wrote:Is it bad that I was thinking of Spongebob too?
not at all. im glad i wasn't the only one.

yeah Vivi, classic!
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

there really ARE people who make up entire delusionary worlds and interact with them the way Alex did in real life, often lasting much longer than four years.
The thing is, all of those people probably had a severe mental illness, which they were battling most of their lives, like schizophrenia.

But there are no evidence to suggest that Alex was mentally ill before the accident. And I never heard of a case where a previously healthy person went batshit after a trauma and lived in an imaginary world, with imaginary people for years.

They get PTSD, repressed memories or phobias, they get depressed or turn to addictions. But what Alex has done, goes beyond simply denying it happened or developing a fear of water or getting flash-backs. Alex went to "war" during which time he got imaginary letters from Margaret and Elle, befriended an imaginary merchant kid, Sgt. Nash and had a whole platoon of imaginary buddies. There, he was doing all sorts of war related activities including watching the said imaginary buddies getting blown-up and, apparently imagining an injury which made him loose the use of his legs.

If Alex had issues with mental illness all of his life I would have bought it, but he didn't. In fact, Alex was portrayed as a perfectly balanced, healthy individual before the accident, and with that in mind you can see that his delusions were simply too complex and long-lasting to be caused by one trauma. No matter how horrible that trauma was.
Take some rape victims for instance. Some of them are so disgusted with what has happened to them that they'll convince themselves and others that it never happened; effectively erasing it.
Erasing one traumatic event =/= living in an imaginary land for four years, with imaginary people and having imaginary injuries, with out any acknowledgment of the reality.
Study the human mind, it's a pretty complex thing.
I did, that's how I know Alex's crazies are a plot-device that has little to no basis in reality.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The thing is, all of those people probably had a severe mental illness, which they were battling most of their lives, like schizophrenia.

But there are no evidence to suggest that Alex was mentally ill before the accident. And I never heard of a case where a previously healthy person went batshit after a trauma and lived in an imaginary world, with imaginary people for years.
Adam does imply that something was wrong with Alex ever since he was a kid. Either way, it's not THAT rare for an otherwise normal person to snap so hard they create a new world for themselves. I have a cousin who unfortunately did a similar thing, living in a world where she was a fairy tale princess and refused to acknowledge that her puberty ever happened.
They get PTSD, repressed memories or phobias, they get depressed or turn to addictions. But what Alex has done, goes beyond simply denying it happened or developing a fear of water or getting flash-backs. Alex went to "war" during which time he got imaginary letters from Margaret and Elle, befriended an imaginary merchant kid, Sgt. Nash and had a whole platoon of imaginary buddies. There, he was doing all sorts of war related activities including watching the said imaginary buddies getting blown-up and, apparently imagining an injury which made him loose the use of his legs.

If Alex had issues with mental illness all of his life I would have bought it, but he didn't. In fact, Alex was portrayed as a perfectly balanced, healthy individual before the accident, and with that in mind you can see that his delusions were simply too complex and long-lasting to be caused by one trauma. No matter how horrible that trauma was.
He was still playing toy army games when he was like...17. Boy's not right.
Revolverhawk
Just Passing Through

Post by Revolverhawk »

AuraTwilight wrote:

Adam does imply that something was wrong with Alex ever since he was a kid. Either way, it's not THAT rare for an otherwise normal person to snap so hard they create a new world for themselves. I have a cousin who unfortunately did a similar thing, living in a world where she was a fairy tale princess and refused to acknowledge that her puberty ever happened.

He was still playing toy army games when he was like...17. Boy's not right.
Refused to acknowledge she passed through puberty? That must have been rough. Hard to believe anyone snapping like that. Was she put in a mental institution, or did she still go to school and everything.