Missing Persons board in Shepherd's Glen

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

19pack
Just Passing Through

Missing Persons board in Shepherd's Glen

Post by 19pack »

Does anyone recognise any names/faces or make out any of the text from the posters on the missing persons board in Shepherd's Glen?

The developers appear to have used low-res photographs of real people for some of the posters. Are they real missing persons? It would be kind of cool but creepy if they were. A nice touch. Or (and this may be more likely) could any of the people in the pictures be members of Double Helix? Or members of Team Silent posted as an in-joke that for some backfired in its irony?

The main one I can make out is one for a man called John Waterfall. His age is obscured but it could be something like 28, 30, 50, 53, 58 or 59 depending on how you look at it. The man in the corresponding picture looks to be about 30 though. His eyes are blue/green and he was last seen on 2pm Tuesday 22nd August 2006 (just over a year after Silent Hill Homecoming is set?) in perhaps South Bank, West Sussex? That sounds like England. It also looks like he was last seen on or with a bicycle judging by the picture.

Other people I can make out is a man (to the bottom left of Elle's position) wearing glasses with the initials JL and with some illegible text due to the low resolution.

To the right of that one is a wanted poster for what looks to be a man possibly called 'Seymour Shepp' and there's a $100'000 reward. There are two pictures of him, or maybe it's for two different people. There's a D.O.B. on there as well but I can't make it out from the angle.

Above them is another one for a Laura ______ with a highly pixellated set of 5 pictures of the woman. ...at a stretch, maybe Laura from Silent Hill 2?

There's another intriguing one on the floor to the bottom left of the board. It looks like it was hand-written and has a colour photograph affixed in the middle of two men side by side with a grey/blue back ground. The man on the left wears a beige jacket and the man on the right wears a white t-shirt. The man on the right has an arrow poiting to him and looks to maybe be younger than the man on the left. I thought for a second it may have been a picture of Alex and his Dad, or Alex and Josh. Possibly.

...They're all the ones I can make out for now...does anybody know more about these posters ie. their creation or if they can make out some more names dates etc etc? There may be some deliberate 'planting' of information/easter eggs in there for future Silent Hill games/characters!

EDIT: Oh Dear!
Chy-Fi
Just Passing Through

Post by Chy-Fi »

hmm...interesting. im gonna have to play again(for, like, the millionth time:/)and look at the posters. i glanced at them once, but i didn't pay that much attention. good find!
I am the very model of a scientist salarian. I've studied species turian, asari and batarian. I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology). My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian. I am the very model of a scientist salarian.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>at a stretch, maybe Laura from Silent Hill 2?
Maybe. She would be 21 at the time of Silent Hill: Homecoming.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Arachnid1
Just Passing Through

Post by Arachnid1 »

MMY wrote:>at a stretch, maybe Laura from Silent Hill 2?
Maybe. She would be 21 at the time of Silent Hill: Homecoming.
I hope its not Laura. I dont want Laura dead.
Weyoun
Just Passing Through

Post by Weyoun »

^I'm sure there are a lot of people here that disagree with you. :P
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

Hmmm. I found this.

It makes me wonder - are games developers/film makers/anybody allowed to commandeer the details of someone's life or death for the purposes of entertainment? I know that journalists are allowed to write basically what they want about a deceased person as some libel laws don't apply anymore, but for entertainment purposes?
Another thing I discovered is that the poster for John Waterfall on the billboard in Shepherd's Glen is virtually identical to one of the original missing persons flyers for his disappearence (you can see it halfway down the page). The low resolution version of the poster used in the game has all the same layout and details including the small picture of a bike. The only difference is the photograph.
It seems a bit insensitive considering it happened less than 3 years ago and indeed, less than 2 years before Silent Hill Homecoming was originally released in the US.
So would DH have had to have sought some sort of permission to use the name and details of a real life missing person who also wound up dead? So relatively close to the release of the game? I wonder if John Waterfall's family are aware of this... I it can hardly be called a coincidence if it's the exact same details and only the picture is different. It makes me wonder of any of the other missing persons posters in Shepherd's Glen are based off real missing persons cases!!!
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Arachnid1 wrote:I hope its not Laura. I dont want Laura dead.
Do keep in mind that missing ≠ dead. She ran away to find Mary, hence missing, but (depending on which ending you believe) may simply have gone off to live with James in the end.

Does someone have a clear(ish) picture of the board?
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

It would be cool if somebody kind with access to the image files of the PC version could possibly post them. Then lots more people could have their say about what the text is and it would be a lot easier to identify the people in the photographs.

so, anyone....?
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

not it.

interesting though
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Image Image Image
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

[X X X]

Never mind. I found it.

http://someoneismissing.com/uk/fliers/j ... erfall.jpg
Different photograph, same details.

The middle photograph—from the above—has the phone number 608-270-4390: Fitchburg, Wisconsin's Police Department.

I found the original poster, too: From the above link, click on "MIssing Person" in the left tab. Some of the details were slightly changed in this one—notably the photographs, "RACE: Caucasian" was added, the weight went from 130 to 135, and the details at the bottom were altered.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Miasma
Just Passing Through

Post by Miasma »

Klimat wrote:Image Image Image
Have they tried to censor the names? As you can see, John is perfectly visible, but Waterfall is very smudged.

That is quite cool. Though it is also kinda wrong.
Behind you.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The names were deliberately blurred.

I'd like more pictures of the posters on this board if at all possible.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

MMY
Here they are:

Image Image
Image Image
lain of the wired

Nice shots, Klimat!

Funny, I could have sworn there were more pictures on that board... Some of those people look very out of place in Shepard's Glen. I'm guessing most of those pictures are programmers from Double Helix.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

19pack wrote:Hmmm. I found this.
Fascinating. What a great (if disturbing) find. Can't believed they used John Waterfall's actual missing persons poster as the base for the one on SHH.

What do people think about the ethics of doing something such as this? Personally, it makes me really uncomfortable. I bet whoever did it didn't expect a bunch of Silent Hill dorks (I say that with love!) to find it ...
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
lain of the wired

^Or maybe they did think we'd find it. After all, you're not going to recognize someone if you don't know about them, and the more people see those missing posters, the more likely it is the person will be found... it's a bit desperate to rely on gamers, though... so it's more likely they were just lazy and used the first poster they got when they googled.