I need some things cleared (spoilers, of course)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

I need some things cleared (spoilers, of course)

Post by Silent Milance »

Okay... So... I didn't really get some things about the story... And I'm not sure whether there is a topic about this already... If there is, direct me to it. I apologize in advance.

As Curtis tells us, all of the clocks in Shepard's Glen have stopped at 2:06. That only makes sense to me if you get the hospital ending.
But if you don't, what's the point of the clocks stopping? Does that mean that the time has stopped in Shepard's Glen the day Alex had gone to the mental institution?

When Alex asks judge Holloway at the Town Hall about a banner or a sign (or something else) hanging outside the building, she tells him about the 150th anniversary being celebrated in the town. He then says something about the celebration being held before he went "to the army". And she says that he is right and that they should probably remove the sign (or whatever they were talking about).
Now, why would she say that? If there were barely any people left in town, who cares about the banner, sign (or whatever...)? The fact that it is still there kinda goes with time stopping when Alex leaves town... And the way the judge says it sounds almost like she knows that the time has stopped, but doesn't want Alex to know...

But time hasn't stopped, as we know it... I mean, we read Elle's and Wheeler's diaries... And if the time hasn't stoped, then what moment did the clocks stop at 2:06 at? After Alex has arrived back home? They couldn't have been like that for weeks...

So I'm wondering if I had missed something...

Again, if there is a topic about this, direct me to it, please...
You've seen that horrible world, as well...
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

But if you don't, what's the point of the clocks stopping?
2:06 is the approximate time of Joshua's death and the exact time of Joshua's watch malfunction. In the boat scene with Alex, Adam and dead Josh you can see this watch pretty clear in one shot.
Does that mean that the time has stopped in Shepard's Glen the day Alex had gone to the mental institution?
Yes.
But time hasn't stopped, as we know it...
Time hasn't stopped but clocks and watches have.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

As Curtis tells us, all of the clocks in Shepard's Glen have stopped at 2:06. That only makes sense to me if you get the hospital ending.
But if you don't, what's the point of the clocks stopping? Does that mean that the time has stopped in Shepard's Glen the day Alex had gone to the mental institution?
2:06 AM is when Josh died, not when Alex was taken to the hospital. It's the time Alex witnessed his world (Josh) come to a halt, and he could no longer go forward. It's the time when the future for the town (the sacrifice) was ruined, and so they could not go forward.
When Alex asks judge Holloway at the Town Hall about a banner or a sign (or something else) hanging outside the building, she tells him about the 150th anniversary being celebrated in the town. He then says something about the celebration being held before he went "to the army". And she says that he is right and that they should probably remove the sign (or whatever they were talking about).
Now, why would she say that? If there were barely any people left in town, who cares about the banner, sign (or whatever...)? The fact that it is still there kinda goes with time stopping when Alex leaves town... And the way the judge says it sounds almost like she knows that the time has stopped, but doesn't want Alex to know...
She's trying to sound normal.
But time hasn't stopped, as we know it... I mean, we read Elle's and Wheeler's diaries... And if the time hasn't stoped, then what moment did the clocks stop at 2:06 at? After Alex has arrived back home? They couldn't have been like that for weeks...
They were like that ever since Josh's death. Curtis has been trying to fix them, but no luck. Time didn't literally stop, just it's metaphorical passing.
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

Okay... I know that is the time of Joshua's death... But...
I've thought the clocks had stopped for one of the two following reasons:
1. It was the time Alex had lost his mind.
2. It was the time the Pact was broken.

If the first reason is the correct one, then it goes with time stopping in Alex's mind, which coincides with the Hospital ending. But it doesn't explain why the clocks have stopped in the whole town if, for example, you get the Happy ending. Alex went away, life moved on without him. He couldn't have stopped all the clocks.

If the second one is correct, then it pretty much explains the things that are going on...

Also, is Alex's room number being 206 merely a coincidence? Again, it perfectly fits the Hospital ending, but it is pretty pointless for any other...
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Also, is Alex's room number being 206 merely a coincidence? Again, it perfectly fits the Hospital ending, but it is pretty pointless for any other...
Or Alex have made this number up.
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

That makes no sense to me... And it didn't make anything clearer... :(
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

Okay... I know that is the time of Joshua's death... But...
I've thought the clocks had stopped for one of the two following reasons:
1. It was the time Alex had lost his mind.
2. It was the time the Pact was broken.
It's all three reasons. Josh Died, Alex Went Crazy, The Pact Was Broken. They're synonymous.
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

Okay... That makes sense, then... I guess...

And one more thing... When Josh died, why was the Pact automatically broken? I mean, couldn't they still have sacrificed Alex? (I know it sounds terrible when I say it, but I'm just curious...)
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

They could but they decided two dead sons is just too much to bear for them. They was too weak from religious perspective.
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

That's what I thought... But that means that the Pact wasn't broken at the time of Joshua's death...
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Well, with Josh dead Adam have firmly decided not to sacrifice Alex. So it was all over that day and not some other day.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

It was more complicated than that. They still need a son to carry on the next generation so the sacrifices can keep going. If they killed Alex, then they'd be screwed. Plus, there's speculation that Josh's death marks him as an "incorrect sacrifice."
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

Now that makes perfect sense... Thanks a lot.

Just one more thing... How much time has passed between Joshua's death and the events of the game?
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

I believe Joshua died 02:06, September 22, 2003.
The events of the game took place October 15, 2007 or not for a long time after this date.
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

And the weird things have been happening in Sheperd's Glen during the entire period?

Hahaha... I keep saying "just one more thing" but every question leads to another... XD
pisces9397
Just Passing Through

Post by pisces9397 »

Silent Milance wrote:And the weird things have been happening in Sheperd's Glen during the entire period?

Hahaha... I keep saying "just one more thing" but every question leads to another... XD
Yeah, from that day forward is when the monsters started appearing and the population of the town started to decrease. That is, if all of this wasn't in Alex's mind to begin with.
I have a chainsaw in my pocket. -Owl_Waxer
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

I don't remember reading about the monsters in Elle's and Wheeler's diaries, though... (I could be wrong, since I read them a long time ago).
And how, in God's name, did they tell time for nearly four years?!?
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

Since they were in the Otherworld, it's not certain that they actually experienced four years. Time might have slowed for them.

Though most likely it's just a plot hole. Homecoming is full of them.
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Well, I don't think there was a lot of monsters before Alex returned.
The best explanation of what was really happening for that four years is Elle & Wheeler's diaries from the official site and Wheeler's unused monologue: "You've been gone a while. So I'll assume you don't know squat. This all started a few years back. Probably just around the time you left. This damn fog rolled in, and the town started to fall apart. The clocks stopped, people starting disappearing... Your brother was one of the first to go missing. It took quite a toll on your mother, I'm afraid. But a lot of other kids disappeared too. Dr. Fitch's daughter and... *huff* there's been a lot."
There was a fog, strange disappearances, stopped clocks and depressed authorities unwilling to do anything about the situation at hand. Then there was a strange noises, people started feeling as they were watched by someone unknown, then all communication with the world outside was cut off. Then Alex returned and monsters showed up.
Since they were in the Otherworld, it's not certain that they actually experienced four years. Time might have slowed for them.
No, they was aware about the chronology.
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

I guess we can't know for sure...

But if I were in a town where clocks have stopped and where people start disappearing I would probably leave it... Not wait for four years... XD