pyramid head or boogeyman? should he have been there?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: pyramid head or boogeyman? should he have been there?

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

You never know. If PH does appear in the next movie he might actually have a good reason for being there. Of course, I'm giving the new director the benefit of the doubt... >_>
Either way, it would be nice if PH were allowed to fade away into creepy fan-fiction so developers and directors and whatnot could come up with newer, better monsters.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:You never know. If PH does appear in the next movie he might actually have a good reason for being there. Of course, I'm giving the new director the benefit of the doubt... >_>
Either way, it would be nice if PH were allowed to fade away into creepy fan-fiction so developers and directors and whatnot could come up with newer, better monsters.
I personally think PH has been used enough and, like you say, it's time for some fresh ideas.

When he appeared in HC it felt lazy on the part of the developers, and he looked so much like the movie version it was obvious who they were trying to appeal to. I think they should have respected the people who have played the games from the begining not cash in on the movie.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

PH works better when he belongs to jame's storyline only...and that's regardless to what the writer's say and konami. They could've came up with a completly different creature and call it the boogeyman. I understand the need to try and introduce new fans to the series, but for me PH felt out of place, and his introduction felt cheesy.

Double Helix are not the only folks to blame here tho....Konami has a heavy hand in here too....and to be quite honest konami was the culprit that was and i want to believe is currently "whoring" out PH. I'm not sure if it was this site or another, but there was a thread created that linked to a japanese konami site....and this site showed how PH was being marketed in japan....and trust....he was everywhere....they had PH dolls, candy, i think he was a character in cart game that i had seen...he was in some type of fighting game...etc....the list went on and on.

At the end of the day the dev's still have to listen to what konami wants, but i also understand the need to try and cultivate this generation's band of gamers, who at the moment are hooked on the Call of Duty/FPS craze....(just look at the latest Dead Space2 trailer)....it's a far departure from the brilliant creepy children's lulliby chants we use to hear.....the smashing pumpkins song....totally gave the trailer a completely different feeling in terms of atmosphere and mood......but i understand why they did it....they were trying to snag the action horror fans and a portion of that call of duty crowd.
BrookhavenFiend
Just Passing Through

Post by BrookhavenFiend »

Silent Hill should be left to the Japanese. NO ONE ELSEEEEE
I color the world with the hues of my madness
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Dude, i love the team silent(they made the best silent hill games to me), but are you serious? I'm serious i can't tell if you're serious or just joking around.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

BrookhavenFiend wrote:Silent Hill should be left to the Japanese.
It's not that Silent Hill should be left to the Japanese, it's just that the newer games haven't been as well received. (Mostly)
I can appreciate the old school vibe, but I promise you that this sort of mindset doesn't help anyone. Just stick to the 1-4 threads. Maybe Downpour will change your mind. Who knows?
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

SilentWren wrote:
BrookhavenFiend wrote:Silent Hill should be left to the Japanese.
It's not that Silent Hill should be left to the Japanese, it's just that the newer games haven't been as well received. (Mostly)
I can appreciate the old school vibe, but I promise you that this sort of mindset doesn't help anyone. Just stick to the 1-4 threads. Maybe Downpour will change your mind. Who knows?
Dare i say, downpour looks pretty promising.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re:

Post by redrum »

AuraTwilight wrote:Because American developers are NEVER CREATIVE OR INNOVAT-oh wait Shattered Memories lol.
Last time I checked Climax UK made SHSM in their Portsmouth HQ :mrgreen:
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

Portsmouth, a town far more horrific than Silent Hill, take one step inside Matalan and you'll know what I mean.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

BrookhavenFiend wrote:Silent Hill should be left to the Japanese. NO ONE ELSEEEEE
I hate to admit that the japanese developers did a great job adapting so many AMERICAN works in these games...
SHF

Post by SHF »

I believe she was joking....
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
BrookhavenFiend
Just Passing Through

Post by BrookhavenFiend »

helldescent wrote:I believe she was joking....

yes thx
I color the world with the hues of my madness
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Oops. Sorries. I'm normally better at catching those.

And continuing....
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
SHF

Post by SHF »

Don't worry about it silentwren :)
I think they beat it to death, you know with the pyramid head shit
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

I really don't get the whole "he's supposed to be exclusive to James" argument. Nothing in any of the games outright confirms that Pyramid Head is supposed to be exclusive to only his storyline.

I mean this is Silent Hill we're talking about. Has Silent Hill ever limited its insanity to JUST one person? The main fuel for this fire is simply because Homecoming wasn't made by Team Silent so they get a lot of flak for it. Was his appearance in the game fan service? No shit it was.

Was it enough to ruin the game, his character, and James' storyline? Hell no. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination for him to appear outside of James' story. I mean hell nurses have appeared in numerous installments as have the dogs and strait jackets. He only had 3 brief appearances in the game (including his ending). It's only an issue for Team Silent nutriders and those who like to nitpick over nothing.

So why should PH get an exception? The only argument I'm seeing for why he should only remain in SH2 simply boils down to people wanting him to be. Nothing more. Chances are Team Silent never intended for him to make another appearance, but it really doesn't matter anymore what they intended him to be as they are gone.

That being said he's appeared enough times already.
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Shacknasty wrote:I really don't get the whole "he's supposed to be exclusive to James" argument. Nothing in any of the games outright confirms that Pyramid Head is supposed to be exclusive to only his storyline.

I mean this is Silent Hill we're talking about. Has Silent Hill ever limited its insanity to JUST one person? The main fuel for this fire is simply because Homecoming wasn't made by Team Silent so they get a lot of flak for it. Was his appearance in the game fan service? No shit it was.

Was it enough to ruin the game, his character, and James' storyline? Hell no. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination for him to appear outside of James' story. I mean hell nurses have appeared in numerous installments as have the dogs and strait jackets. He only had 3 brief appearances in the game (including his ending). It's only an issue for Team Silent nutriders and those who like to nitpick over nothing.

So why should PH get an exception? The only argument I'm seeing for why he should only remain in SH2 simply boils down to people wanting him to be. Nothing more. Chances are Team Silent never intended for him to make another appearance, but it really doesn't matter anymore what they intended him to be as they are gone.

While I think the fact Homecoming PH looks like Movie PH is fan service, I also think PH in general can be more than simply James' creation. James created PH based on a painting he saw in the Silent Hill Historical Society. The painting itself was apparently based on the executioners who used to work in Silent Hill. So, clearly PH, or his inspiration, is tied closely to the town and possibly the cult. Seeing as how Shepard's Glen originally broke off from the SH Cult, I think it's reasonable to assume that they still kept some things from their old religion, including their executioners (or at the very least stories of them). So I think Homecoming's version of Pyramid Head is also simply based on the cult's executioners. At least, I think that is what we were supposed to figure out. This is simply clouded by the fact he looks like the Movie PH.
clips

Post by clips »

Shacknasty wrote:I really don't get the whole "he's supposed to be exclusive to James" argument. Nothing in any of the games outright confirms that Pyramid Head is supposed to be exclusive to only his storyline.

I just feel the overall storyline works better when PH is exclusive to james....SH3 used Valtiel as that games unique monster it had a purpose and it was original...PH in homecoming even tho he had a reason to be there was incredibly weak and fan-service...if dev's use PH the way he was intending then we'd see him in EVERY SH game since he is the punisher of sins and we all know every character that comes thru SH has some type of dark past.

His character made such a huge impact on prt2 that it just should've stayed there to give the game an unique feel. Instead his appearance in homecoming was watered-down and didn't have nearly the impact he had in part 2. They just should've came up with an original monster.

As far as the nurses appearing in the series? Well they are like the series staple...kinda like how the tyrant monsters are a series staple for the RE series, the thing is that the nurses for the most part have a reason for being there, because the characters themselves have been either at the hospital or hospitalized themselves, so it made sense for them to be in the game.

Now i don't feel that every SH game needs a unique boss type monster (SH1 did fine without it) but if you're going to have one at least be creative about it, and stop riding the jockstrap of the earlier games,...which is another reason why i hated the BUTCHER in origins..he too was just another clone of PH....pathetic...
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

I know the nurses are the traditional enemies and all, but at the same time it kind of defeats the purpose of the Silent Hill games: I'd like them to have new enemies that can actually intimidate you and go "WTF?". Some that are actually disturbing and original. Having traditional enemies goes against that premise.

I mean when you see nurses you pretty know how to deal with them.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

It's a lot easier to accept the boogeyman in this game when you realise that it isn't Pyramid Head. RPT is entirely James's creation, only James has ever seen him, and only James ever will.

The boogeyman on the other hand comes from a tale of a monster (based on the order's executioners) told to the children of Shepherds Glen by their parents (the members of the SG cult) as a deterrent for misbehaviour. When they are old enough to be informed of the cult and the pact and all of that they learn the truth behind the tale of the boogeyman. There literally is no more appropriate being to bring about the punishment of the SG cult than this.

It makes way more sense that the people of SG would come up with such a manifestation given how ingrained it is into the collective subconscious of the founding families than James, who once saw a picture of it.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

Pyramid Head appearing in Homecoming shows he isn't confined to just one person and how is it so hard to believe and does it really screw up James' story as much as people overblow as such?