pyramid head or boogeyman? should he have been there?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

shadowvalentine
Just Passing Through

pyramid head or boogeyman? should he have been there?

Post by shadowvalentine »

i personally think that pyramid head, or boogey man as they call him in this game, should have been kept to silent hill 2. any opinions?
Last edited by shadowvalentine on 05 Oct 2009, edited 1 time in total.
"The Enrichment Center is committed to the well being of all participants. Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all."
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I think his presence made sense but was used awfully. Two scenes, three if you count the 'nightmare', only one of which he does anything of importance. It really felt more like SH2 fanservice than anything else.
Your weaboo is showing
HeathersVincentFangirlBFF
Just Passing Through

Post by HeathersVincentFangirlBFF »

Yeah,I looooooooooooove Pyramid Head, but I think it was just wrong for him to be thrown in there because they ran out of ideas to make the game popular.Along with the nurses. :(
Father Vincent <33333333333333
Pyramid Head<3333333333
Heather's mah BFF!!
LISA RULEZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
shadowvalentine
Just Passing Through

Post by shadowvalentine »

yea. i think the american developers totally missed the purpose behind pyramid head in silent hill 2 and thought they should just throw him in because he was so popular. DH treated him as if he was just some super scary monster there to make everyone shit themselves. instead an important part of the plot like he was in SH2
"The Enrichment Center is committed to the well being of all participants. Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all."
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Yeah, those damn American developers.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

They're the same shit!!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I love how you guys instantly focus on the American Developers as being at fault, even though Double Helix doesn't have nearly as much creative control as you seem to think they have.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

Falconv1.0 wrote:I think his presence made sense but was used awfully. Two scenes, three if you count the 'nightmare', only one of which he does anything of importance. It really felt more like SH2 fanservice than anything else.
Agreed completely. It definitely made sense but excluding
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the scene with Adam
it felt like complete fanservice.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Especially the Boogeyman ending. I was really kind of grumpy with it because it screamed fanservice way too much, and I'm not a diehard PH fan so it just annoyed me.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Double Helix doesn't have nearly as much creative control as you seem to think
So, tell me: Exactly how much control do the producers, writers and developers have. . . ?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

MMY wrote:>Double Helix doesn't have nearly as much creative control as you seem to think
So, tell me: Exactly how much control do the producers, writers and developers have. . . ?
That depends on how long a leash their masters (Konami) gave them.
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

MMY wrote:>Double Helix doesn't have nearly as much creative control as you seem to think
You make it seem like marketability, executives, past precedent, etc., are completely null in the creative process. I wouldn't be surprised if Double Helix was straddled with the responsibility of making good on Konami's promises/hints/considerations of bringing the movie into canon.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Problem with Pyramid head was that in SH2 while he was a punisher, he also helped guide James along his path so he'd come to terms with what he did. When James finally understood this he said "I don't need you anymore and the two Pyramid Heads committed self pwnage. In Homecoming, he walks by, waves at the camera, then owns the crap out of your dad. Yeah, I don't think I'm wrong when I say it could've been done better.

Little note though, some things I can see as influence from Western design, but don't just take every little thing and say "FUCK THOSE AMERICAN DEVELOPERS". I've said that like, once, and with good reason. In this case, it's not just because of a differing style, it's just that the people writing the game just didn't know how to effectively use him.
Your weaboo is showing
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

In all fairness, the Bogeyman wasn't conjured by Alex, and has no relevance to his personal journey, so in that sense his lack of involvement makes sense, but then why bother putting him in?
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Fan service. I think they justified his appearance in the game, but that's really what it comes down to.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Fan service is supposed to be a good thing but they even did that wrong.
We are still here...
pisces9397
Just Passing Through

Post by pisces9397 »

HeathersVincentFangirlBFF wrote:Yeah,I looooooooooooove Pyramid Head, but I think it was just wrong for him to be thrown in there because they ran out of ideas to make the game popular.Along with the nurses. :(
Agreed
I have a chainsaw in my pocket. -Owl_Waxer
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

he could've been incorporated a bit better.
Si/ens.Cae/um
Just Passing Through

Post by Si/ens.Cae/um »

He had no place in the game. Fan service isn't so bad when it's done right. Like someone mentioned before, it is as if he was just thrown in the game to wave at the camera, much like his appearance in the film. How about instead of re-using Pyramid Head, they come up with something new and innovative? Oh, wait we've got American developers now, they don't understand the concept of "innovative"
[img]http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss237/SilensCaelum/SilensCaelumSig.jpg[/img]
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

I'd edit my post if I were you, Si/ens.Cae/um, before the "You're racist if you don't like American games" brigade comes by (by the way, everyone - according to those guys, I'm a racist).

Unless you were being sarcastic.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Si/ens.Cae/um wrote:Oh, wait we've got American developers now, they don't understand the concept of "innovative"
The fuck did I just say about that in my point about why he sucked.

But no, keep on trolling, let's talk about how American devs are shit while we clamor over how innovative the camera and terrible design in some parts of the past games were 'innovative'.

Everyone fucks up, SH4 taught me that REALLY WELL, stop trolling about how America sucks ass.
Your weaboo is showing