Originally...!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Originally...!

Post by Biccard »

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I didn't find anything on it, so here goes!

Check the very first teaser trailer for Homecoming here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_nYn59Beg , it seems quite far from the final game even though only a few sentences are heard. Also, the game was orignally going to be called "Silent Hill: Shadows of the Past", and the Otherworld was gonna be the concept of "fear in daylight" and "a sunny environment gone wrong" (stated by Konami). How many of you like these ideas? And what do you think about them, in contrast to the final game?
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: Originally...!

Post by Kenji »

"Shadows of the Past" was the rumored name for the project the Japanese team was working on, which was only defined by the vague phrases "fear in daylight" and "a sunny environment gone wrong." There's no evidence that development ever went beyond those phrases.

The teaser, meanwhile, is for the Homecoming we got, though at the time that teaser was released, Double Helix was known as The Collective.
trai has cake
Just Passing Through

Post by trai has cake »

oh `never knew any of this ! Plus I rather dislike Alex's(?) voice in that trailer I'm guessing it was before the VA was set in stone
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

It's not really "Alex's voice." It's just William Oertel (producer) reading a script.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Yeah, that teaser didn't really give anything away.... no indication of fear in daylight, sunny town gone wrong etc....
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

At the time they were trying to counter RE5 when they showed early screens of RE5 displaying daytime gameplay screens....there was an article that i remember reading that they wasn't going to try to mimic true daylight, but to make it like what was seen in SH3. In that game there were quite a few sections (mainly in the mall) where you could look outside and there was like a reddish haze...it looked like you were in the depths of hell itself.

I think homecoming actually had a small section where it had like a reddish sky...i think it was right before you entered the church level of the game. I think that is just about all of the daylight we're going to experience in a SH game, and honestly that's how it should be...i don't want SH to take the route RE5 did, because the only factor that saved RE5 was that those daylight effects were superbly done and the visuals were strong.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

The "fear in daylight" concept was first mentioned in this interview with "Team Silent". It was conducted after the release of The Room, when it was still assumed that "Team Silent" would be making "Silent Hill 5":

GW- Ok, anything you can tell us about SH-Next?

Y- Unfortunately not at this time, but very soon. We also can't tell you the
system or systems it will be on, but we can say it will be on the next
generation platforms.

I- Maybe I'll get in trouble for this, so Konami Japan don't fire me, but we
are interested in playing with the idea of 'light'... as in 'daylight' and
shadows. Ever since the pre-production of SH2, we wanted to start a SH in a
normal environment- daylight, people going about their business, just
normality. What happens when you make that normality rot all around you? It
is possible to make a normal sunny day really creepy. Just look at films
like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or even one of our favorites,
Jacobs Ladder.

GW- A significant hint to SH5? No more 'otherworld'?

I- I'm not saying that. In fact, the lack of a more dramatic 'otherworld' in
SH4 bothered a lot of fans, so we intend to have a very impressive
'otherworld' with the next generation power. I'm just saying a possibility
in how a game could start. That's all I can say.

The "Silent Hill: Shadows of the Past" thing was an oooold (untrue) rumor. It was mentioned in an interview with Masashi Tsuboyama:

"A fifth game is being planned but it will not be for this generation, although we do not know for what formats exactly. We have seen the rumors that the next game will be called Silent Hill 5: Shadows [of the Past], but we can say that this is not true, we have no idea where this rumor came from! "
nobody is anybody
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

Oh wow, I never knew about this interview. So they had plans for a Silent Hill 5, and then disbanded, and Konami then asked Double Helix make an all new Silent Hill 5?
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

They didn't disband--Konami fired key original members from the first four games to seek something new. (source- source 2)