possible to win the game without shooting much?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

mortmortmorty
Just Passing Through

possible to win the game without shooting much?

Post by mortmortmorty »

okay, i'm going to be honest.

i suck at first-person-shooters. one of the reasons why i loved Silent Hill in the past is because it was auto-aim, and i could focus more on the game than on my thumb-shooting skills. the most disappointing thing for me about Homecoming is the fact that you have to aim.

is it possible for me to get through the entire game without shooting or shooting very much? i'm in the 'Missing Persons' level right now.
Weyoun
Just Passing Through

Post by Weyoun »

Yes, I believe you can get through this game using mainly melee attacks, however there are a few enemies that you'll need to shoot (mainly the smoke-spewing Smogs and the large, intimidating Siams - plus the final boss). I know there are some people here that use melee attacks on those guys. Personally I think they're freakin' nuts. Or awesome. Take your pick. :P
However, I suggest you get good at using the dodge button. You'll definitely need it when facing off with other enemies with which ever weapon you choose.
(I suck at first-person-shooters too).
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Just suck it up like I did and you'll make it through! :mrgreen:
You honestly don't need, or want to shoot everything. You've got to save ammo for boss fights and bigger monsters, so if you're trying to blast smogs away, I'd say don't even bother with that. You're not gonna find much ammo around here and health at all. So I'd rather beat them with melee is you're most comfortable with that, than wasting time and bullets because you can't shoot well. If one is in your way and driving you crazy, then go for it. I personally hated killing the smogs because they took too much time and too many bullets for me.
If you just use reccomended strategy for monters, then you should be okay.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I just use the guns for the Siams and the smokes... if you find a melee tecnique for those creatures tou will be fine without bullets...
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

You really only need the gun for the smogs. I also only found guns useful for the last boss. For most of the game melee is the way to go.
Leviathanapsu
Just Passing Through

Post by Leviathanapsu »

There is a HD walkthrough on youtube where the person playing through uses melee items almost exclusively, only using the guns to show how they work and play out, then returning to melee weapons. So... with that said, I will have to say yes it is possible.
Weyoun
Just Passing Through

Post by Weyoun »

angelofROOM302 wrote:if you're trying to blast smogs away, I'd say don't even bother with that. You're not gonna find much ammo around here and health at all. So I'd rather beat them with melee is you're most comfortable with that, than wasting time and bullets because you can't shoot well. If one is in your way and driving you crazy, then go for it. I personally hated killing the smogs because they took too much time and too many bullets for me.
Do you wait until the Smogs expose their (weak point) lungs then shoot? They're more vulnerable that way and it takes less ammo. That's pretty cool if you can take one down with melee attacks without taking too much damage. I wouldn't even try.
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

^^
I try to, but usually when I shoot it misses the target completely, or I wait too long and shoot them right when they close. Lol!
And smogs and melee weapons= a long time of killing! and tons of health lost. :lol:
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I can beat the game without using any guns. Siams monsters are still tough to beat with melee weapons.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

I used the guns on the Siam, but was able to kill the last boss with that stupid knife.
Must not be much of a boss if it can be killed by a knife ...

I just thought it was kind of silly that each boss can be taken out with the knife. Why even put guns in? The guns, I found, even with Alex's training, were useless!
Only some of my posts are serious.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I don't even use guns for the Smogs, their so retardedly easy to read. The game doesn't even give you enough ammo so just use your bullets on Siams and occasional moments where there a few too many enemies. Like *spoooooiillaaar* that moment in Dr.Fitch's office when all the nurses appear out of nowhere.
Your weaboo is showing
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

I'd say it's definately possible. Maybe a little harder, I relied on the gun for a portion of it, but the enemies are certainly possible without ever touching a gun. Also, aiming was difficult for me at first. If you want to practice with the gun, practice getting used to the controls on enemies that are far away and it'll begin to come naturally.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Silent Hill isn't a first-person-shooter, it's a third-person-shooter.
Anyway, like many others have said, it is possible to beat the game w/o the use of guns. I too went through the majority of the game switching between melee weapons. The key is to learn which weapon is right for which monster.
I would suggest practicing with the guns a bit, though. They can be helpful against the more powerful monsters, and bosses.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

The bosses and siams are all you really would 'need' them, everything else really is not hard. Schisms are easy to read, smogs are SUPER easy to read, nurses can be exploited in so many ways, ferals are kinda annoying but if you can get one clean pipe combo on them it's over, lurkers are just plain stupid easy, and needlers are block bullets anyways. I've read headshots kill them, I've found ones standing still, aimed at their head and the still blocked it, blargh.
Your weaboo is showing
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

I only used guns on Smogs, everything else can be taken down melee style as long as you get used to the combos and dodging.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I only use guns for the final boss.

Take that as you will.
I once was lost, but am now profound.