PH (a different take)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

wonderland kitten
Just Passing Through

PH (a different take)

Post by wonderland kitten »

**i could not find anything like this out there with the search, sorry if i missed it**

I see lots of people berating PH in homecoming for just being fan fair for the movie and at first look i agreed but after finishing the game twice i started to notice something: except the dream sequence PH never actually attacks Alex, on the contrary on many places he protects Alex. I don't see the punisher from 2 (origins or the movie) i see an ally (spelling?). That makes more sense during the Boogyman ending too because he then becomes his own protector. For that reason i cant see another monster helping him bring down the order

...thoughts?
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Well, you can't really deny that after the movie he got very popular (not that he wasn't a pretty popular monster to begin with) and so instead of designing a new Pyramid Head/Valtiel/that thing from Origins-esque monster they just changed a few things about Pyramid Head and recycled him. Sure, he wasn't really much of an antagonist- in fact, he didn't even need to be in the game. Am I angry that he was in the game? Nah. I can make sense of him being there simply because Alex does have something in common with James, and that is
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
They both killed someone.
James killed his wife but didn't remember, he went to look for her, and saw Pyramid Head in Silent Hill. Pyramid Head represent Jame's guilt and punishment. Alex killed his brother (accidentally) and didn't remember, went to look for him, and saw Pyramid Head in Silent Hill.

You can see the pattern, and it at least gives some legitimacy to why Pyramid Head is there. I'm not denying the theory of him being an "ally", I didn't really notice that, though.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

How is he an ally when pretty all he does is wave hi to the camera and cut a man in half. He never 'protects' Alex, he doesn't even kinda help him in his journey like he did for James. He's just another monster they implemented because they could. Call him a 'punisher' all you want but seriously, after how amazingly deep and interesting his character was in SH2, his role in Homecoming is bullshit.
Your weaboo is showing
Unique Rachel
Just Passing Through

Post by Unique Rachel »

Falconv1.0 wrote:How is he an ally when pretty all he does is wave hi to the camera and cut a man in half.
lol

I think they put him in the game for the fans and made him musculer :?, In my opinion PH should've stayed in sh2 only that's where he belongs.
I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing.~Col Hans Landa <3
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I think they put him in the game for the fans and made him musculer
Oh baby oh baby unf unf unf yea stick that Great Knife in me.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
wonderland kitten
Just Passing Through

AuraTwilight wrote:Oh baby oh baby unf unf unf yea stick that Great Knife in me.
WTF!?!?! :shock: oh god noooooooooooooo!!!
"But i don't want to go among mad people!"
OH you can't help that we're ALL mad here...
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Im pretty sure one of the gods takes on the form of the past executioners to actually punish someone. So basically, Pyramid Head may not ONLY belong to James.
Arachnid1
Just Passing Through

Re: PH (a different take)

Post by Arachnid1 »

wonderland kitten wrote:**i could not find anything like this out there with the search, sorry if i missed it**

I see lots of people berating PH in homecoming for just being fan fair for the movie and at first look i agreed but after finishing the game twice i started to notice something: except the dream sequence PH never actually attacks Alex, on the contrary on many places he protects Alex. I don't see the punisher from 2 (origins or the movie) i see an ally (spelling?). That makes more sense during the Boogyman ending too because he then becomes his own protector. For that reason i cant see another monster helping him bring down the order

...thoughts?
He's no Ally of Alex's in this game. In fact, he has nothing to do with Alex. His reason for being there was to punish Alex's dad and that's all. Sure, Alex ran into him a few times, but Pyramid Head didn't really give a shit. He just went about his business.
wonderland kitten
Just Passing Through

my problem with that is its a very singular world, all the "monsters" and environments are based on alex's perceptions so if he is going after Alex's dad why can alex see him? Further more why is he dressed in the fashion of Alex's psyche?
"But i don't want to go among mad people!"
OH you can't help that we're ALL mad here...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's a communal Otherworld. Everyone involved seems to be contributing. Alex, the parents, Josh, maybe even Elle and Wheeler, who can say? Monsters can take one thing, like meaning, from one person, and take shape from another.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
martin27
Just Passing Through

Post by martin27 »

I think pyramid heads main purpose was to punish Alex's dad like he was to punish James. Why we see him in the hotel is never made clear. PH appearance is based on the individuals perception. James perception was based on the painting he saw in silent hill when he was with Mary, Travis’s perception was based on the costume he saw in a play when he was a child in silent hill. And Alex’s dad perception follows James because he must know a fair bit out the religion like the other three founders must know.

[quote]
As for the bogeyman ending Alex in turn punished the entire town with the death of his brother and is no doubt released for the hospital to punish the remaining few, which is why his ending only happens after allowing his mother to be killed and refusing to forgive his father.

As for the bogeyman ending Alex in turn punished the entire town with the death of his brother and is no doubt released for the hospital to punish the remaining few, which is why his ending only happens after allowing his mother to be killed and refusing to forgive his father.
OsirisZero
Just Passing Through

Post by OsirisZero »

I'm pretty sure they only put him in there because everyone thinks Pyramid Head when they think of Silent Hill.

Doesn't really make it fit, even though a lot of people seem to think it makes perfect sense.

Thinking about the previous games (which frankly I consider more "real" than this one) it seems as if the town tells its story through the stories of the people traveling there. James' path led him through some of the darker aspects of Silent Hill the town so some particular figures that "fit the story" or fit the situation or were able to take the proper shape accordingly to what was presented to the dark mirror that is now Silent Hill, thanks to the various rituals and events and such that were done by the actual cult of the games--which acted in conjunction with the already dark spiritual aspects/disturbances of this particular location.

If James didn't "fit the bill" so to speak, the town might never have called him in the first place. OR, if James fit a different bill, he likely would've been led down a different path that would've shown a different aspect of the town's own overall story.

In other words, James only saw Pyramid Head because he was the perfect archetype for 'punishing the guilty', AND it was a chance for the town to tell more of its own dark past. James only went to the prison in the first place because he was in his own personal prison.

In this case, it feels a lot more like they wanted particular things in the game, and fleshed the story out from there in those instances, but knew they had to make it "deep" or else everyone would be pissed, and so left things randomly cryptic just because.

Sure, if you really think about it, you could pretty much come up with a few different ways you can justify his appearance. Or, you could say that it's just more likely--which it is--that they just thought, "Hey Pyramid Head is so cool? I know right? Let's just...Let's just go ahead a put him in here somewhere. You know what? Fucking DONE."
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

OsirisZero wrote:
In this case, it feels a lot more like they wanted particular things in the game, and fleshed the story out from there in those instances, but knew they had to make it "deep" or else everyone would be pissed, and so left things randomly cryptic just because.

Sure, if you really think about it, you could pretty much come up with a few different ways you can justify his appearance. Or, you could say that it's just more likely--which it is--that they just thought, "Hey Pyramid Head is so cool? I know right? Let's just...Let's just go ahead a put him in here somewhere. You know what? Fucking DONE."
I agree, I mean, PH doesnt really do anything other than go after the dad. But it may be because Allex feels his dad needed to be punished for abandoning him in favor of Josh? Just my thought. But I think they did just toss him in there because hes awesome. Im sure there could have been other ways of making Allex have his "own" demon for his fathers "punishment".
JordymidHead
Just Passing Through

Post by JordymidHead »

Agreed. I hate to sound like another opinionated fan but I feel like the team who created this completely americanized and butchered the idea of silent hill.

I always enjoyed silent hill because of the new creepy monsters in each game that made me analyze the designers choices for creating their appearance. The "cameo" of PH in this game just made me feel a little bored, it almost seems like a lazy design choice when they could've created a whole new "big boss" monster.

Also, didn't enjoy the standard monsters much either. It seems like there's no story behind them, they're just stupid spider-type things and hammerhead shark teeth heads.

Sorry for the rant. :wink:
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

JordymidHead wrote:Agreed. I hate to sound like another opinionated fan but I feel like the team who created this completely americanized and butchered the idea of silent hill.

I always enjoyed silent hill because of the new creepy monsters in each game that made me analyze the designers choices for creating their appearance. The "cameo" of PH in this game just made me feel a little bored, it almost seems like a lazy design choice when they could've created a whole new "big boss" monster.

Also, didn't enjoy the standard monsters much either. It seems like there's no story behind them, they're just stupid spider-type things and hammerhead shark teeth heads.

Sorry for the rant. :wink:
It's not the designers fault that you've decided not to see the symbolism in this games monsters. There's a whole thread somewhere discussing various theories of what each monster symbolises.

I don't think the devs can be accused of laziness because they used PH, they already have created four "big boss" monsters, and Scarlet and Amnion are quite probably the best bosses in the entire SH series. Also, whilst The Boogeyman could be seen merely as fanservice, evidence in the game, as well as the theories posited by people on this site, show that it was actually a very well thought out sort of fanservice, and as such I'm quite prepared to let it slide.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
JordymidHead
Just Passing Through

Post by JordymidHead »

Those are some good points, ill look into some more and see what I think. I sold my copy after 3 play throughs, maybe ill give it another shot and see what I think.

There was just something that didn't seem right about this game though, maybe its because it was passed to another company whose vision is slightly different than team silent. Ill give it another try after I do some research.
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

I don't really see why, just because it was Americans that made it, that makes it 'bad'. They just did the game as best they could, and the original Silent Hill games have big shoes that are hard to fill. It doesnt mean they didnt do their best.

But as for PH, I don't think it was a 'bad' idea to toss him in the game, but his roll could have been more than it was. From what i have seen, at least in SH2, PH is some sort of projection of James(I hope this is the right character), when he rapes the mannequin in that one level, (POSSIBLE SPOILER)and when the 2 kill themselves at the end when James accepts what has happened or whatever. I didnt see a need for him with HC, since you only see him once or twice, and you dont learn anything about him.I agree that the bosses were great. The team did a pretty good job, in my opinion.
korbandallas
Just Passing Through

Post by korbandallas »

But PH just wasn't for James as a lot of people think. His image is a big part of the towns history. Even in SH2 he is mentioned to have been around long before James arrived. In Homecoming he is called the boogeyman because that is what Joshua calls him, most likely because that is what he was told it was called. I highly doubt that the Order mambers or founding families would refer to him as the boogeyman when talking amongst themselves. I don't get why people think of this game as a lesser SH title. I personally like the whole explaination and insight into PH's role through the use of the child drawings.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

I've always sort of view PH as a piece of wet clay to be molded by the individual. The being itself has little genuine form, it's usually only made physical by someone entering into Silent hill and creating it, but the creature tends to take on different forms, (James' PH, Travis' Butcher, Alex's PH, etc.)

My point is that having an overbearing monster figure that is molded to the individuals particular messed up state is the way I've always taken it.

Of course as far as the developers are concerned yeah they probably threw him in for people that love him, which I do! Very much! :D Just wish he'd been more involved. :|
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

Silent One wrote:Of course as far as the developers are concerned yeah they probably threw him in for people that love him, which I do! Very much! :D Just wish he'd been more involved. :|
I agree, I like PH very much too^^