Double Helix synonymous with quality

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Szyxis wrote:Ah yeah that makes more sense. Still though what's wrong with a little variety in the play style?
Nothing really but when you start changing some of the core elements of silent hill like the atmosphere not being scary, then you have a problem.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

While Wheeler and Curtis are shallow characters. I felt the others were handled well, especially Lillian.

And generally the creatures seem to represent the situation overall rather than being tied solely to Alex.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

Nyarlathotep wrote:While Wheeler and Curtis are shallow characters. I felt the others were handled well, especially Lillian.

And generally the creatures seem to represent the situation overall rather than being tied solely to Alex.
like Pyramidhead...sorry boogeyman :? (edited :wink: )
Last edited by ginjajacob on 27 Nov 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Bogeyman*

And yes, sarcasm aside, that would be an example.
Nothing really but when you start changing some of the core elements of silent hill like the atmosphere not being scary, then you have a problem.
I would also say Silent Hill 2 wasn't nearly as terrifying as the original (Or 3... or 4). It doesn't make it bad, though.

I found Homecoming to have excellent atmosphere even while not being as "scary" as the first four entries. It takes a more surreal approach, I often felt lost and disoriented despite being on a rather linear path.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on 27 Nov 2009, edited 1 time in total.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

yeah but being a psychological horror (or survival horror whatever you wanna call it) i expect it to actually be, uh you know scary. and i haven't played all the way through sh1 but i will say sh2 was still a scary game in general. The alternate worlds weren't as over the top but it still was pretty damn creepy. I mean it introduced pyramid head one of the scariest monsters ever made IMO. But yeah i need to try to get through sh1 its the only one i haven't beaten.
Szyxis
Just Passing Through

Post by Szyxis »

ginjajacob wrote:
Szyxis wrote: And honestly, if the game really was "slapped together" it wouldn't resemble a SH game nearly as much...the story of this game is more similar to SH2 than any others, and that's considered the pinnacle of the series by many people...what do you want?
So if the story resembles the "pinnacle" of the series it must be good... :? I don't understand. So based on that logic if you copy something amazing it must be good??? ( I'm honestly not being sarcastic I dont understand your point)
No what I meant was that if everyone loves SH2's story so much, then how is Homecoming's story "terrible" or whatever and made out to be utterly stupid? It's a similar idea and it doesn't make sense to praise one idea for the same thing you discredit another.

And Springs...ever consider that it might just not be scary because you've been playing the series for a while now? It's gonna be pretty hard to be genuinely scared by something you're so accustomed to. I didn't find it to be particularly scary either, but it still seemed to have the same old feel to it even if it didn't scare me. I remember playing Homecoming with a few friends watching who were new to SH and it sure creeped them out more, likely due to the fact that they weren't all accustomed to it already. I remember when SH4 came out the same stuff was said, but eventually many people who said those things later appreciated it, and now it's kinda grouped with 1-3 as one of the "Homecoming is too different from (SH1, 2, 3, 4)" arguments. Just give it some time and an open mind.
[img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/Szyxis/dark-alessa-sig.gif[/img]
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

SPRINGS02 wrote:yeah but being a psychological horror (or survival horror whatever you wanna call it) i expect it to actually be, uh you know scary. and i haven't played all the way through sh1 but i will say sh2 was still a scary game in general. The alternate worlds weren't as over the top but it still was pretty damn creepy. I mean it introduced pyramid head one of the scariest monsters ever made IMO. But yeah i need to try to get through sh1 its the only one i haven't beaten.
You should get on that--it's the best and scariest of the bunch.

And I agree with Szyxis on how people hate on Homecoming because of the similar story arc of the Alex/Josh twist, although it still happens quite differently and people fail to give credit to the story that actually takes up 90% percent of the game (which is the whole cult arc, much more important and interesting than Alex's story ever could be.)
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

SPRINGS02 wrote:yeah but being a psychological horror (or survival horror whatever you wanna call it) i expect it to actually be, uh you know scary. and i haven't played all the way through sh1 but i will say sh2 was still a scary game in general. The alternate worlds weren't as over the top but it still was pretty damn creepy. I mean it introduced pyramid head one of the scariest monsters ever made IMO. But yeah i need to try to get through sh1 its the only one i haven't beaten.
Definately. SH1 has marked a period in my life where I first realized that a videogame could scare the fuckin' shit out of me. And, it still gets me. Every time.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

dammit i really need to find my sh1 disc.