Double Helix synonymous with quality

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Double Helix synonymous with quality

Post by ginjajacob »

Does anybody here think Double Helix try their hand at another Silent Hill game?
I was interested to see what Double Helix did after their pillaging of the Silent Hill franchise. The answer... G.I.Joe: Rise of the Cobra.

Double Helix can't help themselves when it comes to quality game production. G.I. was greeted with rave reviews. It is nice to see Double Helix have a high level of consistancy to their work.

Edge Magazine

If there's a benefit to the game's focus on local co-op multiplayer, it's that players can stand suicide watch over each other for when the awfulness of it all finally overwhelms them. [Oct 2009, p.97]

Official Xbox Magazine UK

A boring, brain-dead waste of time. [Oct 2009, p.82]

Gaming Nexus

There's no reason to buy G.I. Joe as long as there is at least one other game on the store shelf.

GameSpot

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is full of things that make you go "hmm." Why do midlevel checkpoints update your score but not save your game, forcing you to restart from the beginning if both characters die? If you're going to steal from Gears of War, why steal the slow-walking, earpiece-cradling mission updates?

MEGamers

With annoying camera, repetitive gameplay, and brain-dead AI team mates, this is the perfect Christmas gift for someone you dislike.
Dark-Dx
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark-Dx »

I'm still expecting a new japanese silent hill : /
heavensnightsh
Historical Society Historian

Post by heavensnightsh »

At least with Silent Hill they had a guideline to kind of follow. I don't know about GI Joe games and stuff, but they were probably not restricted to anything really, which could mean they're bad with coming up with new ideas on their own. They need to work alongside Team Silent or something.
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
Szyxis
Just Passing Through

Post by Szyxis »

I'm still not certain if ginjajacob is being sarcastic or not...that was a pretty confusing post. I don't doubt that the GI Joe game is bad, it's a movie tie-in, and those are notoriously bad. Homecoming however IS a good game. It has better control than the older games, and despite it having a slightly different "vibe" (which is perfectly allowed...) it's a pretty good game with a VERY silent hill-ish story if you're willing to pay attention and not judge it right away...
[img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/Szyxis/dark-alessa-sig.gif[/img]
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

yes, i was been sarcastic. :lol:
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

I wonder what the point of this topic is since I think it has already been covered that if people want Double Helix to try another SH-game. Is this to only bash Double Helix? I dunno, I liked Earthworm Jims, MDK, Matrix: The Path Of Neo (that was epic) and Homecoming too. Who knows, maybe they learned from their (minor to some, larger to others) mistakes with Homecoming and could pull it off better with another SH release. Doubt it, though.
Mantorok Narokath Redgormor
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I'm sure the exact same team, in fact, every single member who worked on Homecoming worked on the G.I. Joe videogame.

What bullshit. Ginjajacob once again makes another feeble attempt to fuel the flames but doesn't really bring anything of value to the table. I'm noticing a trend here.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

Nillin wrote:I'm sure the exact same team, in fact, every single member who worked on Homecoming worked on the G.I. Joe videogame.

What bullshit. Ginjajacob once again makes another feeble attempt to fuel the flames but doesn't really bring anything of value to the table. I'm noticing a trend here.
Nillian, I thought you would have something to say :roll: . I'm not sure where I said "every single member who worked on Homecoming worked on G.I. Joe videogame" . Again, how can you critize the substance of my posts or threads without actually reading them. You did the same before on the "Homecoming a complete disappointment" thread. If you don't like this thread simply don't respond. Go back to making shallow arguements for why Homecoming is amazing.

I think after the mess they made of Homecoming and now G.I.Joe I doubt Konami will let them anywhere near Silent Hill...Thank God
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

ginjajacob wrote:I'm not sure where I said "every single member who worked on Homecoming worked on G.I. Joe videogame" .
ginjajacob wrote:It is nice to see Double Helix have a high level of consistancy to their work.
Are you not talking about the same team then? Also, how was SH5 a mess, could you elaborate?
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Ha, I get it. Obviously their terrible G.I. Joe movie-tie-in means that Silent Hill: Homecoming must also be terrible. I mean, come on, G.I. Joe had universally negative reviews and so did Homecoming, right?
Destructoid wrote:In the end, Double Helix did a fantastic job of adding to the Silent Hill universe with Homecoming. It's quite obvious that the team behind this title are fellow fans of the series. We expected the worst, but in the end, we were pleasantly surprised by the authenticity of the game's world and the depth of its story. We're glad to say that the little lakeside resort town of Silent Hill continues to be just as messed up as it always was.

Score: 9.0 - Superb (9s are a hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme title.)
Team Xbox wrote:Silent Hill: Homecoming proves to be a welcome step forward in the series without breaking the foundation that has made it a success. By staying true to the series’ roots and not trying to rely on unnecessary mechanics or gimmicks, Double Helix has created yet another unsettling gaming experience that is sure to stick in the minds of players long after the end credits roll.
Kotaku wrote:Thematically Strong: Silent Hill: Homecoming delivers on a solid, exciting storyline, one peppered with dense themes: child abuse, infanticide, religious fanaticism, mental illness. It's far more straightforward in comparison to other Silent Hill games, ones which often needed the aide of a plot guide to disassemble, but it's administered with finesse. Double Helix supports their storytelling with brilliant symbolism, little of which rarely detours into the obvious.
AtomicGamer wrote:Homecoming shows a significant improvement over the franchise’s last console outing, but there’s still work to be done. Combat is much improved despite being nerfed by screwy balancing, the new camera hits the right balance between controllable and cinematic, and the story—supported by super creepy audio and visual work—is outstanding
Playstation Universe wrote:Overall, Silent Hill: Homecoming is a solid outing in the franchise and should please the majority of horror fanatics and long time followers alike. While it has its flaws and lacks the polish of its predecessors, Homecoming simply oozes atmosphere and is guaranteed to grip you with intrigue in blood-soaked hands until the end. Just remember – if you think you saw something in the fog, you probably did.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

I imagine that alot of the team were similar as this game is developed not too long after Homecoming, In addition, I don't think their a big enough devolpment team to overhall all of the staff. I wouldn't be naiive enough to think they are exactly the same.

As for SH5 been a mess, how bug ridden the game is, flawed combat, lack of origanlity it terms of both design (the SH movie, saw, hostel) and story (think it takes alot from Silent hill 1 and 2), the way (i thought) the end was rushed, lack of depth to support characters, the pointless use of Phead......etc.

If you want more "elaboration" feel free to cycle my previous posts. Ive gone through most of these points before, as much as I would love to repeat myself over and over again. I have classes to plan for and a Japanese exam to revise for.

I know everyone has different opinions, people take different experiences and themes from silent hill and like the whole experience for different reasons it's not for me to say what someone should or shouldn't like. I thought the thread was pretty funny as the reviews of G.I. Joe made me laugh.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

Homecoming was fine. Stop expecting every new title to one up all the previous titles and rate it on it's own merits. :roll:
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Ha, I get it. Obviously their terrible G.I. Joe movie-tie-in means that Silent Hill: Homecoming must also be terrible. I mean, come on, G.I. Joe had universally negative reviews and so did Homecoming, right?
Destructoid wrote:In the end, Double Helix did a fantastic job of adding to the Silent Hill universe with Homecoming. It's quite obvious that the team behind this title are fellow fans of the series. We expected the worst, but in the end, we were pleasantly surprised by the authenticity of the game's world and the depth of its story. We're glad to say that the little lakeside resort town of Silent Hill continues to be just as messed up as it always was.

Score: 9.0 - Superb (9s are a hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme title.)
Team Xbox wrote:Silent Hill: Homecoming proves to be a welcome step forward in the series without breaking the foundation that has made it a success. By staying true to the series’ roots and not trying to rely on unnecessary mechanics or gimmicks, Double Helix has created yet another unsettling gaming experience that is sure to stick in the minds of players long after the end credits roll.
Kotaku wrote:Thematically Strong: Silent Hill: Homecoming delivers on a solid, exciting storyline, one peppered with dense themes: child abuse, infanticide, religious fanaticism, mental illness. It's far more straightforward in comparison to other Silent Hill games, ones which often needed the aide of a plot guide to disassemble, but it's administered with finesse. Double Helix supports their storytelling with brilliant symbolism, little of which rarely detours into the obvious.
AtomicGamer wrote:Homecoming shows a significant improvement over the franchise’s last console outing, but there’s still work to be done. Combat is much improved despite being nerfed by screwy balancing, the new camera hits the right balance between controllable and cinematic, and the story—supported by super creepy audio and visual work—is outstanding
Playstation Universe wrote:Overall, Silent Hill: Homecoming is a solid outing in the franchise and should please the majority of horror fanatics and long time followers alike. While it has its flaws and lacks the polish of its predecessors, Homecoming simply oozes atmosphere and is guaranteed to grip you with intrigue in blood-soaked hands until the end. Just remember – if you think you saw something in the fog, you probably did.
It all depends on which websites/magazines hold the most crediblity, no?

I think IGN, Gamespot, Electronic Gamer monthly, Official PS magazine, Edge hold alot more legitamacy then "Atomic Gamer" or "Destructoid". Thats my opinion though. Those reviews don't think it is as bad as I do, and it is a slighty better game then G.I.Joe :wink: but if you compare those reviews to those of previous SH games then you can clearly see a gulf in class.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

Silent One wrote:Homecoming was fine. Stop expecting every new title to one up all the previous titles and rate it on it's own merits. :roll:
:D the thread was pretty tongue and cheek, it's no secret I'm not in love with the game. The funny thing about SH:H is that it sparks mass debate. Some people can't stand it and others love it. Thats all good, but it divides the Silent Hill community more than any other game. I thought the thread would be pretty funny.......just funny. :lol:
Last edited by ginjajacob on 25 Nov 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

They're all on the same level to me.

Also, do you honestly want to even compare a major game like Homecoming to a cheap licensed title such as G.I. Joe? If anything, Double Helix had more focus on their larger game "Front Mission: Evolved" and didn't have many resources to put into a game they knew wouldn't go anywhere.

the thread was pretty tongue and cheek, it's no secret I'm not in love with the game. The funny thing about SH:H is that it sparks mass debate. Some people can't stand it and others love it. Thats all good, but it divides the Silent Hill community more than any other game. I thought the thread would be pretty funny as one group of people would get upset and the other would find it funny.
So you're trolling. Not very well, at that.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
They're all on the same level to me.

Also, do you honestly want to even compare a major game like Homecoming to a cheap licensed title such as G.I. Joe? If anything, Double Helix had more focus on their larger game "Front Mission: Evolved" and didn't have many resources to put into a game they knew wouldn't go anywhere.

the thread was pretty tongue and cheek, it's no secret I'm not in love with the game. The funny thing about SH:H is that it sparks mass debate. Some people can't stand it and others love it. Thats all good, but it divides the Silent Hill community more than any other game. I thought the thread would be pretty funny as one group of people would get upset and the other would find it funny.
So you're trolling. Not very well, at that.
how can you assume how they distributed their resources and how much time is spent on one game and not another?
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

ginjajacob wrote:how can you assume how they distributed their resources and how much time is spent on one game and not another?
Common sense suggests the reading of interviews and public reports about such things. I may be completely wrong though, just a guess.
Szyxis
Just Passing Through

Post by Szyxis »

ginjajacob wrote:I imagine that alot of the team were similar as this game is developed not too long after Homecoming, In addition, I don't think their a big enough devolpment team to overhall all of the staff. I wouldn't be naiive enough to think they are exactly the same.

As for SH5 been a mess, how bug ridden the game is, flawed combat, lack of origanlity it terms of both design (the SH movie, saw, hostel) and story (think it takes alot from Silent hill 1 and 2), the way (i thought) the end was rushed, lack of depth to support characters, the pointless use of Phead......etc.

If you want more "elaboration" feel free to cycle my previous posts. Ive gone through most of these points before, as much as I would love to repeat myself over and over again. I have classes to plan for and a Japanese exam to revise for.

I know everyone has different opinions, people take different experiences and themes from silent hill and like the whole experience for different reasons it's not for me to say what someone should or shouldn't like. I thought the thread was pretty funny as the reviews of G.I. Joe made me laugh.

1. It is NOT bug-ridden. That makes no sense. I hear the PC version is, but it's a port and a shoddy one at that.

2. The combat is far superior (sorry guys but it's true) to the first 3...it just is. Don't say the combat is 'flawed' just because you can't figure it out.

3. Lack of originality? You mean like the SH series borrowing from other horror movies/novels since the beginning? How is borrowing from saw or hostel any different than borrowing from the mist or jacob's ladder? I know I know...most will say they're not psychological horror...even though they really are. You gripe about the lack of originality but also criticize it straying from the beaten path, which is quite contradictory.

4. The pacing of the game was pretty similar to the others...well it is if you take 1-3 off the damn pedestal and look at them subjectively that is. The end seems to pop up fairly quickly without a ton of lead-in, but really does EVERY single story need to have a super drawn-out pre-ending?

5. Pyramid Head was there for the very same reason he was in SH2. I have no idea why people don't see it. He is there to punish people who refuse to live up to their mortal crimes and face judgment. Besides the fact that he is a popular and iconic character, his presence really doesn't scream "pointless" in the least. To me this is like saying "aw geez that cool and iconic character everyone likes is back again...&$@# that guy I swear if I see another thing I recognize I'm never playing this series again!" :roll:

But yeah...gotta hate Homecoming to be cool, so...
[img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/Szyxis/dark-alessa-sig.gif[/img]
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

1. It is NOT bug-ridden. That makes no sense. I hear the PC version is, but it's a port and a shoddy one at that.
True

2. The combat is far superior (sorry guys but it's true) to the first 3...it just is. Don't say the combat is 'flawed' just because you can't figure it out.

Agreed the combat system isn't what really messed the game up

3. Lack of originality? You mean like the SH series borrowing from other horror movies/novels since the beginning? How is borrowing from saw or hostel any different than borrowing from the mist or jacob's ladder? I know I know...most will say they're not psychological horror...even though they really are. You gripe about the lack of originality but also criticize it straying from the beaten path, which is quite contradictory.

Wait you think saw and hostel are psychological horror? Ur kidding right And just because the sh series was inspired by jacobs ladder doesn't mean they borrowed concepts from it those are 2 different things.

4. The pacing of the game was pretty similar to the others...well it is if you take 1-3 off the damn pedestal and look at them subjectively that is. The end seems to pop up fairly quickly without a ton of lead-in, but really does EVERY single story need to have a super drawn-out pre-ending?

5. Pyramid Head was there for the very same reason he was in SH2. I have no idea why people don't see it. He is there to punish people who refuse to live up to their mortal crimes and face judgment. Besides the fact that he is a popular and iconic character, his presence really doesn't scream "pointless" in the least. To me this is like saying "aw geez that cool and iconic character everyone likes is back again...&$@# that guy I swear if I see another thing I recognize I'm never playing this series again!" :roll:

lol even fans of homecoming admit pyramid head was there for fanservice so your wrong about this. also i could of swore one of the team members who worked on sh2 said that pyramid head was james personal demon and only existed for sh2.

But yeah...gotta hate Homecoming to be cool, so...
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

heh, I thought you were serious for a second there

but yeah, why the hell would they give a franchise as deep and brilliant as Silent Hill to a developer mostly known for bland or even bad licensed games?

oh cuz they turned in a playable demo to Konami, ooooooooooooooooooooh :roll: