All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 28 Nov 2020

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Location of silent hill POSSIBLE SPOILER

Missing since: 15 Dec 2009
Notes left: 16
Last seen at: The Abbey of Thelema
During one of the nightmare sequences
[spoiler]when Alex is walking through the otherworld Hospital right before fighting the Porcelain monster[/spoiler]
I noticed a few interesting signs on the walls. I can't remember all of the signs at the moment but one of them stuck out in my mind. it was saying something about how the current state of employment was a right-to-work state. Now I pretty much had my mind made up as to the location of Silent Hill being in New England but now Im not so sure. considering how most if not all states in new england are forced union states. the Closest state I can think of is Virginia, but then the accents don't match up. Maybe I am mistaken by the location and silent hill lies somewhere more out west. what do y'all think?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2195
Last seen at: Koholint island
What I think is that there are already two different threads that discuss speculation of where the town is located.

Post subject: Re: Location of silent hill POSSIBLE SPOILER

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11058
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Q The Muse wrote:
During one of the nightmare sequences
[spoiler]when Alex is walking through the otherworld Hospital right before fighting the Porcelain monster[/spoiler]
I noticed a few interesting signs on the walls. I can't remember all of the signs at the moment but one of them stuck out in my mind. it was saying something about how the current state of employment was a right-to-work state. Now I pretty much had my mind made up as to the location of Silent Hill being in New England but now Im not so sure. considering how most if not all states in new england are forced union states. the Closest state I can think of is Virginia, but then the accents don't match up. Maybe I am mistaken by the location and silent hill lies somewhere more out west. what do y'all think?

Virginia had only one major prison used to house Civil War POWs (the original function of Toluca Prison Camp), that being Libby Prison in Richmond, and I'm fairly certain that I don't live in Silent Hill.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1119
Last seen at: In your fridge
the town's location is a little sketchy
i'm pretty sure Silent Hill 1-4 and origins take place in Maine
it seems that's not the case with homecoming and i wouldn't be surprised if they placed it in virginia because isn't that where the movie says silent hill is located (or west virginia or something)?
silent hill shattered memories places the town in new york (there's a road sign near the beginning of the game that places you in between two new york cities [rochester and i can't remember the other right now])

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Right behind you
Yeah. Pretty sure Richmond is not SH, nor is there a lake even closely resembling Toluca here. :P We do however sport the James River and the Chesapeake bay.

EDIT: About the road signs, take it with a grain of salt. Myself and others have pointed out inconsistencies in roadsigns dating back to the beginning of SH2, before you enter the forest from the rest stop.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 12264
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Isn't Maine a little....removed from the front lines during the Civil War for them to be holding prisoners there?

Granted, I know next to nothing about American History, but I always found it very strange that they would drag prisoners all the way up to Maine.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Right behind you
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Facts in a fictional environment are only as solid as the writers NEED them to be, and are always subject to change or inaccuracy. Therefore I take ANY fact in SH with a grain of salt, unlike a lot here who will fight tooth and nail that something MUST be, simply because it's not a real entity, and perhaps there are things that get read into WAY more deeply than was ever intended.

=====================================================

Post subject:

Droo wrote:
Isn't Maine a little....removed from the front lines during the Civil War for them to be holding prisoners there?

Granted, I know next to nothing about American History, but I always found it very strange that they would drag prisoners all the way up to Maine.

Most Civil War prison camps were located hundreds of miles from the front. Major institutions such as Fort Douglas (near Chicago) and Andersonville (Georgia) were more than 500 miles away from any major combat theater.

Keeping prisoners far from the front served two purposes. First, a prison camp near the fighting front was in danger of being overrun, and second, prisoners were more likely to attempt escape if potential safety were so close.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 12264
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Still, isn't Georgia and Chicago much closer than Maine? I can't see them carting load after load of prisoners by wagon all the way to Maine.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Chicago's not really all that close, I should think. Georgia is, for a certainty, but... Chicago I think is a bit far. Not as far as Maine, however. Though I don't think Maine's distance should disqualify SH from being based there. I always assumed that Silent Hill maintained features of small towns all across America and many of the Maine nods were indicative of an homage.

I also find it amusing how there's contradicting pinpointed/exact locales of Silent Hill in the later games, but that's just a tangent.

Post subject:

Droo wrote:
Still, isn't Georgia and Chicago much closer than Maine? I can't see them carting load after load of prisoners by wagon all the way to Maine.

From where I'm at (and, most of the Civil War was fought in my neighborhood), western Maine is about a hundred miles closer than Chicago, and that's using the convenient modern highways. Andersonville, GA, is only 50 miles less distant.

They would, of course, be transported by train.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Dec 2009
Notes left: 16
Last seen at: The Abbey of Thelema
I can't find any real information about any civil war prisons or detention camps in Maine. mostly about forts containing supplies or bases for border protection and soldiers to train. although for the sake of argument I can see the state be a good remote place to hold high ranking POW's to keep them as far displaced from the war and their allies as possible. also to pull as much information from them as possible without the prying attention of the public...kind of like a 19th century Guantanamo Bay. I can only imagine how removed Maine was during the 1800's