Just got the game last week (Spoilers?)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Sirea
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Sirea »

pj, you're right, we were having two completely different discussions somehow. xD Because, yes, I was under the impression that you guys were saying that you could just take it out and nothing would be wrong or different.

And believe me, I was pretty close to insanity last night haha xD I was sitting in my freezing cold basement at like 3am, struggling to get an article of clothing sewn together and praying to god I didn't run out of thread, all the while arguing with you two jokers. I wanted to rip all of my hair out.
"Remember how people look in "The Ring" after Samara gets 'em? SH2 does something similar, only you get fat, sweaty and belligerent." - pianotheme @ livejournal
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I was previously under the impression that the events of Silent Hill 2 took place one week after James killed Mary because Laura reveals that she just turned eight the week before, but whatever

I don't see the connection.

There's a rather large thread in the Silent Hill 2 section devoted to this topic in which I explain the course of these events. But essentially: James picks Mary up at Brookhaven Hospital, takes her somewhere (probably home to Ashfield), drinks, kills her, finds and reads the letter, probably drinks some more, takes Mary immediately to Silent Hill, and the game begins w/ James' drunk-ass self washing the foul taste of cheap scotch and Michelob Ultras from his face.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Er, are you sure you aren't inserting some self-effacing remarks there, Tom?
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
JOKE ALERT JOKE ALERT

But seriously 8|
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I hate scotch.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

pj wrote:
Sirea wrote:I'm not saying you can't think that it's weak, but to say that you could take it out completely and it would do nothing to change the story is, quite frankly, not true. It creates a giant hole in the story that would need to be filled in another way, and doing it in another way would, in fact, change the story. You can think that it's weak, and that's fine-- Hell, like I said, I think the plot twist in SH2 is weak and am in the very tiny minority in doing so. But the argument that seems to have been presented to me, in terms of Homecoming, is that the insanity plot twist is about as important as the cracks in the wall, and to that, I must say otherwise. And if I have to repeat the explanation of the giant gaping hole that would be torn in the story if it was taken out one more time I'm going to go crazy myself.
(I'm only going to address a few points which lead me to believe you may have misread some of the things I said, because I'm really not trying to force you to agree with me or anything, but I do want to make sure my POV is clear)

I don't think anyone said Alex's insanity wasn't important, we've just been saying the revelation that he was never a soldier isn't holding its narrative weight.

And either way, I never said you could just take it away, I said it was interchangeable. The fact that Alex is somehow crazy and forgot what he did is important and covers a plot hole, yes, but the fact that he wasn't a soldier can be switched out with a number of other things that, in my opinion, would have made the story stronger. I've already given one example of PTSD, which would have made the entire story more topical and relevant.

Besides, while I'm sure there's some thread on this forum that attempts to cover this up somehow, if you ask me revealing that he was never a soldier immediately opens up a gaping plot hole under his insane ass-kicking skills. That's another can of worms, so feel free to just link me to the thread addressing this topic if you'd like.

Regardless, the story does not hinge on Alex not being a solider in the way that SH2 hinges on James killing Mary. Couple that with its piss-poor execution of the revelation, and you get mine and Aura's point from the beginning which is simply that we don't like it.

I must admit I'm pretty curious about where this conversation would steer if we did manage to push you to the brink of insanity, though :wink:
I just got the feeling that the entire "Alex being a soldier" thing was meant to cleverly double as a homage to Jacob's Ladder and as a half-assed excuse for Double Helix to experiment with more advanced combat.

Which reminds me, I have to watch that movie again some time.
MMY wrote:>I was previously under the impression that the events of Silent Hill 2 took place one week after James killed Mary because Laura reveals that she just turned eight the week before, but whatever

I don't see the connection.

There's a rather large thread in the Silent Hill 2 section devoted to this topic in which I explain the course of these events. But essentially: James picks Mary up at Brookhaven Hospital, takes her somewhere (probably home to Ashfield), drinks, kills her, finds and reads the letter, probably drinks some more, takes Mary immediately to Silent Hill, and the game begins w/ James' drunk-ass self washing the foul taste of cheap scotch and Michelob Ultras from his face.
I happened to be sleepy at the time when I was watching the cutscene where James asked Laura how old she was in the hotel, so I probably muddled up some key clues.

I guess you learn something new every day. :P

One question though, when and where was it revealed to the player that Mary's corpse was in James's car?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

One question though, when and where was it revealed to the player that Mary's corpse was in James's car?
He had to get her body somewhere for the Rebirth ending, and it's implied in official publications.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

AuraTwilight wrote:
He had to get her body somewhere for the Rebirth ending, and it's implied in official publications.
That's pretty macabre. :shock:

But then again, it is Silent Hill.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

This also isn't in the game, and it's also just promotional shit, but in some promo image you see Mary's body in the boat James uses to get to the island for the Rebirth ending.

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:

>"Alex being a soldier" thing was meant to cleverly double as a homage to Jacob's Ladder and as a half-assed excuse for Double Helix to experiment with more advanced combat.

How is that half-assed? Not asking to attack you, just wondering how that could be construed as half-assed, and if you would consider the lack of combat (also experimental) in Shattered Memories to be likewise since that was pretty much based on Harry being some normal shmuck.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.