I'm actually liking it this time...

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Siam is pretty easy with melee too. Just got to time your dodging right. Now I just need to finish meleeing the Smogs and I shall never need for a firearm in this game.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

I'm saving it at the sewer and I'm going to take a break.

Incidentally, I'm looking at 7 health drinks, a first aid kit and a serum. A lot better than when I remember being at this point in the game last year.

Btw, one on one, those schisms are pretty easy, I just needed to develope a strategy for them.
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^Knife and the Axe are your best friends: A, A, A and X on the knife or A, A and X. With the axe is the same thing: A, A and X or A and X.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

The Axe is perfect if you get them cornered against a wall. As long as they can't back up, your axe keeps you at the PERFECT range to mess them up SERIOUSLY. In open spaces, they ph34r mah knife.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Melee for Smogs? I can't see that happening... Unless you master that obscure trick which was posted on here not long ago.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Smogs are what I save my handgun ammo for, two shots and they're down.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Smogs. Dash in, Smash them to the ground, and charge an attack to kill. They're actually getting easier to kill when you manage a routine (2 or more, shotgun or chrome-hammer time).
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

I just made it past scarlet, but I'm low on health. I have one serum and one first aid kit (I do have a health drink, but I was going to use that since I only have a third of health left).

So question, should I attempt Scarlet again and try to get good against her to conserve my health drinks (my last save before her I had at least 4 health drinks).

BTW, Hell's Decent...wow. There may not have been that many monsters to contend with, but the atmosphere of the level gave me the chills.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I loved Hell Descent as well, my favourite part of the game, actually. One of my favourite parts in any SH game.

I'm the same as you with Smogs, I hold onto my handgun ammo to kill them if they get in the way, or run past them wherever possible. Had a little trouble in the town hall because I had no ammo left but it wasn't too much of a problem to run past them.

I gave some advice about Scarlet/health drinks in your other thread in 'daddy help me' :)
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Just got to the streets of Silent Hill. I think it's really neat how they stayed pretty true to the town map from the original game...even though you can't explore as much as you could in that game. I suppose since it was a different development team for some reason I thought they'd redo the entire map...which is why it's so cool they didn't.

As for the story, I really like where it's going. And yes, I've been spoiled here and there (on accident...mostly from venturing around these forums :wink: ) but that hasnt ruined any of the revelations in the game so far.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Be prepared for the stuff towards the end to be much more American and much less subtle, haha, not necessarily a bad thing though.

I also like how the maps resemble each other in the games. I was similarly pleased in 0rigins how it featured the same map from SH1. SH2 and 3 share the same map, which is believed to be just above the map of SH1/0/5. It's really clever because we keep the consistency of Silent Hill and start to know the layout and yet you can have a completely different experience due to different doors being open/closed and different barricades and collapsed streets. If I remember rightly, between SH1, 2 and 3 there were even some of the same buildings using the same map (correct me if I'm wrong), like the Hospital, just with different doors broken or fixed, creating a completely different experience.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

SH 2 and 3 share the same hospital layouts true (Brookhaven), but not the first one, that's Alchemilla hospital. What I find fascinating about the town, and I realize this is going off topic a tad...is how it has a "Old" Silent Hill and a "New" Silent Hill area. Like the town expanded itself as it expanded as the population grew.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Is Alchemilla hospital the same in SH1 and 0rigins? I only briefly played the original, I'm basing what I know of SH1's map to what my friend kept saying when I was playing 0rigins in front of him 'there should be a hospital just there' etc.

D'you reckon perhaps while Silent Hill 2 did a completely new map and SH3 followed it, they then had the idea to work SH1's map into it in that way? I can't remember if you get glimpses of any of those areas in the previous games up until 0rigins or not.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

I've never played the first one (I know, it's a sin), but I did a lot of research after playing parts 2 and 3, and both of them take place in the area called "Old Silent Hill." I suppose they created a whole new map for the second game because they didnt want fans to feel cheated playing through the same areas, then they explained it away by saying it was just another part of Silent Hill. The part you don't see in the first game.

Looking at this map it shows that Sanford Street (which is the street that goes by the Hotel from SH2 and the Amusement Park from SH3) is the road that leads into "New" Silent Hill.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I don't blame you, the first game is so horribly dated now, which is why I never got round to it (Silent Hill 2 was my first), but I have a friend who basically filled in all the blanks for me - basically I saw the movie and he just told me what was different between the movie and the game, heh. I was slightly disappointed when they full revealed Shattered Memories for that reason, at first I was starting to think I could fill in the blanks by playing the original without the ancient controls!

That's really cool about Sanford Street, so it was intended all along!

I basically know the original map from 0rigins, my friend sat there pointing everything out and making fanboy squee noises every time he saw an upgraded version of the landmarks he knows. So it was even cooler to see the same town recreated in next-gen, high definition.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Yeah I had a friend fill me in on the story of the first game as I played the third. Kinda makes me wish I bought a PS3 instead of a 360 since the original game is available on the Playstation store, lol. Too bad Konami never put it up for download on Xbox live, but I guess they would have never done that since it's a PSX game.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Sadly for me you can't get it on the PSN store here in the UK. But yeah the PS3 has a PS1 emulator built in (you can play PS1 disks on it too) so the games go on it pretty easy. I find Silent Hill 1 to be horribly dated though, every time I try to play it I get frustrated, but I'm happy watching the movie, I love it :D

Gutted about backwards compatibility though, I have no way of replaying 2, 3 or 4 (I love all three) due to the PS3 not actually playing PS2 games for some bizarre reason. The Xbox 360 (I don't have one, I just mean in your interest) plays the Xbox versions but both SH 2 and 4 have major errors, 4's isn't too bad, but cracks appear all over the characters' faces in the cut-scenes, 2, however, is pretty much unacceptable as compatible in that the textures completely disappear after a while and you're just walking around in a world of white...
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Well, I do have a PS2 along with SH2-4, and Origins. I don't however have my memory card for it, I have no idea where it went. So if I ever want to replay those games I can, just have to plow through them in one sitting ;)
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I need to get me another one o' them PS2's one day if they don't sort out some backwards compatibility. :P
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

The PS2 looks horrible on HD televisions, unfortunately. And I will never forgive Sony for removing BC--in my case, I got the PS3 early on but bought the version without BC from the get-go. Oh, lucky me! Assholes.

And can't you just make a U.S. account and download PS1 games off of that? I download and play stuff off of the Euro store all the time. Although maybe it's different if you have to pay.
Last edited by Catch22 on 03 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.