Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Dec 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Feb 2010
Notes left: 504
Last seen at: Birmingham
DistantJ wrote:
Actually that describes my experience with SH4 as well, though I got to a point where Walter Sullivan was constantly chasing me with a gun and it drove me insane and I gave up... XD

I haven't made it that far, but thanks! j/j

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
:lol: Sorry. There are some amazing moments in the game though. As you go further into it it gets more and more like Silent Hill and less like something with the SH name tagged on. Particularly the apartment building, turn the lights down and give Henry a torch and you have a true Silent Hill game right there, heheh. Great stuff. There were a few genuinely memorable and psychologically frightening moments in there too which actually didn't involve tough monsters. While Homecoming and Origins had you frightened of being killed a lot of the time, SH4 has a lot of parts where you're just frightened of what you might see, haha, particularly one moment in the hospital which really quite shocked me.

As for Homecoming... YES!!! I BEAT THE SCHIZMS!!! At least the five which ambush you after cutting the boards down in the police station anyway. I wasted the first two with the four shotgun shells you get and the others I knifed to pieces, I got quite good at dodging them though they did still cause me to use up a couple of my health drinks. I've heard there are a couple more before I can feel safe. I'm just praying for a save point somewhere near.

EDIT: Through the Police Station but OH MY GOD WHERE IS THAT SAVE POINT!!! I need health items... :(

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

DistantJ wrote:
:lol: Sorry. There are some amazing moments in the game though. As you go further into it it gets more and more like Silent Hill and less like something with the SH name tagged on. Particularly the apartment building, turn the lights down and give Henry a torch and you have a true Silent Hill game right there, heheh. Great stuff. There were a few genuinely memorable and psychologically frightening moments in there too which actually didn't involve tough monsters. While Homecoming and Origins had you frightened of being killed a lot of the time, SH4 has a lot of parts where you're just frightened of what you might see, haha, particularly one moment in the hospital which really quite shocked me.

As for Homecoming... YES!!! I BEAT THE SCHIZMS!!! At least the five which ambush you after cutting the boards down in the police station anyway. I wasted the first two with the four shotgun shells you get and the others I knifed to pieces, I got quite good at dodging them though they did still cause me to use up a couple of my health drinks. I've heard there are a couple more before I can feel safe. I'm just praying for a save point somewhere near.

EDIT: Through the Police Station but OH MY GOD WHERE IS THAT SAVE POINT!!! I need health items... :(

The same thing happened to me when I first played Homecoming...that being said, I had restart the game. :( But finding out that Alex is Cheryl's brother at the end made restarting worth it! :o

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

I sure hope you're joking with that one because that would be a spoiler. :P

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Homecoming's okay.

The combat is fun as all hell and there are some really good moments. I enjoyed myself, even if it was about the most derivative Cult-Demon-Wheelchair Town game I could've asked for. At least I'm willing to replay it, unlike Origins (at this rate, by the time I finally finish it, I'll never look at it again) or The Room (I could replay it before, but not anymore; now I can't even bear to drag myself through the Subway World). As the gameplay isn't crippled like SH4's, I expect Homecoming will age more gracefully over the years.

Shattered Memories changed things for me. Up until that game met and exceeded my expectations, I was much more accommodating toward what I consider the "lesser" games of the series on the grounds that maybe I'm just a jaded series veteran who has been so thoroughly conditioned that I can never expect a new SH game to affect me like the first ones. Now that a new entry has gone and done that, I feel there's less excuse for the entries that didn't. I no longer feel any need to give them a pass for being unsatisfactory, since it is possible to satisfy my expectations.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Okay, using that was a bit harsh... :P

Last edited by Kenji on 19 Feb 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

DistantJ wrote:
I sure hope you're joking with that one because that would be a spoiler. :P

Hehe, I kid I kid. I'm not that mean! :P

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

One question... Does this game ever let up? I only just made it past those evil Schizm things, have like 3 Health drinks and it's put me in a room with three needlers all coming at me at once. This is close to being tedious.

EDIT: Wasted 'em with pistol bullets, now a little concerned about ammunition, heh. I'll tell you what, a game hasn't made me feel this on edge in terms of ammo conservation and enemies able to pwn you quite easily if you slip up since the original Resident Evil, heh. I guess that's a good thing but I am worried that it may become frustrating later.

EDIT EDIT: Made it to Hell Descent, they really need more save points in this thing (it has little checkpoints to restart you from when you die anyway so it's not too much of a problem, but it can be a pain when you want to switch off and carry on later!), but oh BOY, now THIS is something! I love this area! It's like the stuff you saw in the background in SH3 but actually being able to walk around in it. Also it reminds me of a particularly scary level in DOOM 3 in that there aren't monsters jumping out at you, but there are just a couple here and there, just enough to make you feel uneasy and jump at every sound. This is what I had been hoping for from a next-gen Silent Hill way back when I originally got stuck at the police station. Kick ass!!!

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
^^
Hell yeah man!
That's how I was in Hell's Descent. Well I had a bit more health and stuff than you because I gave up on fighting smogs all togerther. LOL! Just keep going, even if you don't have much stuff.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
I recommend angelofroom302's tactic as well, that's what I did.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Aha, I have been running from smogs, just a few are in narrow enclosures so I had to waste 'em with my bullets, there was a serum in the fans just before the save point though so I think I'm pretty much sorted with health, 4 health drinks, 1 first aid kit and 2 serums should keep me going nicely, provided I'm not swarmed by Needlers or Schizms any time soon, especially since serums increase your max health.

I tell you what, I jumped out of my freaking skin when I bumped into a Schizm walking around in the streets. Those monsters are so evil, and so cool! I've gotten the hang of fighting them and dodging them but there's still the knowledge that they can absolutely slaughter you if they get a hit in at the right time and it makes them terrifying. I love how they have the pendulum/blade shaped head which swings as they walk.

This game is so cool.

It's not psychologically disturbing me like Silent Hill 2, but it's really putting me on edge while playing it, much like a good Resident Evil would, and I'm finding I feel a lot more connected to the game world since the oddness is a little toned down. The only thing I am finding it is missing is some of the really weird things you used to see in the previous games which didn't harm you in any way just freaked you out. This one's more about fearing for your life than being traumatised by imagery, heh, but man I love it.

Also, sounds odd but I love the addition of freelook. At first I didn't like the idea of a Silent Hill controlling like an FPS, but now I realise just how much being able to move the camera so freely adds to it, I mean I think this is the first Silent Hill in which you're actually able to look up and see the ominous tall buildings, flagpoles, etc. It really brings Silent Hill to life and makes you feel like you're right in it.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
ehh its hard for games to grow on me if i hate it the first time i play it. this is the case with homecoming. But with music its a different story.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
You should have two Serums by the time you reach Sepulchre. If not, I hope you used one against the needlers. ;)

Also, Schisms and the knife don't go well together for me unless there's only one. The axe works best for me in the Police station. The axe keeps them at a distance so they can't hit me when they attack.

=====================================================

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
Here is what I do for Schims and Needlers (my combo might be wrong since I haven't played SH;H in a bit). Take that dagger and Slice, slice, dodge. Then repeat that over and over! :)

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7988
Another tip is to grab the knife and only use heavy attacks. Square if on PS3 or A if on X360 and dodge, same again, and dodge. . . This will leave the Schism "dizzy" then press the Square/A button near it to do a finisher.

Now, if you like the axe just do 2 normal attacks followed by 1 heavy attack, that's what I do often. Or 1 normal attack followed by 1 heavy. Don't forget to dodge.

Also, I have a thread here in the first page that shows how to kill a Needler with 1 hit. Take a look.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Needler in one hit? Sweet!

I actually don't find needlers so hard when there's just one of them, it's when there's multiple ones, because dodging one just sends you into the claws of another.

As for Schizms, I have great fun fighting those, and they scare the shit out of me because they can kick my ass with one wrong move, lol, but with good slash, slash, slash, heavy attack combos followed by dodging their attacks I've been able to hold my ground.

With Serums, I can't remember how many I had (or had taken) by the time I reached Sepulchre, though I think it may have only been one, which I found in a bathroom in the hotel. Was there one I missed, then?

I've found plenty of serums since, and the increased health bar has made me much less reliant on health drinks, which is nice. I was actually able to do a bit of trial and error on the big doll boss fight after Hell Descent since her attacks didn't take as much health off as attacks had been doing before (man, when you start the game a hit from even the most common of enemies takes a 3rd out of your health bar, heh) without panicking over not having any health items and getting stuck later.

Up to the otherworld Sheperd House now, is this the first time a character has been in the otherworld version of their own home? Aside from perhaps Henry's apartment in SH4 I suppose... Or was heather in SH3? I can't remember.

Post subject:

Quote:
With Serums, I can't remember how many I had (or had taken) by the time I reached Sepulchre, though I think it may have only been one, which I found in a bathroom in the hotel. Was there one I missed, then?

You missed one, it's inside the Townhall. When you first meet Judge Holloway, remember?

Now, talking about the Hell's Descent boss (Scarlet) did you got the crowbar? It's much easier to kill her using that weapon. Though the 2nd round she's a bitch, jsut blast a few shotgun shells in her head when she's near (In the 2nd round).

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Nov 2009
Notes left: 791
Last seen at: Lakeview hotel, Observation room
DistantJ wrote:
With Serums, I can't remember how many I had (or had taken) by the time I reached Sepulchre, though I think it may have only been one, which I found in a bathroom in the hotel. Was there one I missed, then?/

Did you pick up the serum in the underground Order hideout area?

Post subject:

^I think you go trough that area way later, he was talking about the time he reached the Hotel. You can only get like 2 serums or so in this part.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Nov 2009
Notes left: 791
Last seen at: Lakeview hotel, Observation room
^ Oh I see. I guess I didnt fully understand the question as I am a fool :mrgreen:

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Mephisto wrote:
You missed one, it's inside the Townhall. When you first meet Judge Holloway, remember?

Ahh right, I don't know if I even went inside there back then, d'oh. Oh well, I seem to be doing okay for health. I will remember that for future replays.

Mephisto wrote:
Now, talking about the Hell's Descent boss (Scarlet) did you got the crowbar? It's much easier to kill her using that weapon. Though the 2nd round she's a bitch, jsut blast a few shotgun shells in her head when she's near (In the 2nd round).

Yeah I did. :) It's a really good weapon too. I've gotten an upgrade on all of my weapons except the axe now, I got the ceremonial dagger, the better pistol and the military style shotgun, looking forward to using them!

I actually found Scarlet much easier in the second half of the battle, she kept managing to hit me when she was all tall but once she was crawling around I pulled out my knife and she couldn't get a single swing in between my combos, except for an occasional lunge attack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next