This or Origins?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Never played origins, so i can't really reccomend it
Therefore i say Homecoming with i enjoyed quite a lot.
Diabolic Dreams
Just Passing Through

Post by Diabolic Dreams »

Both games are great in their own right, Id personally get Origins first then Homecoming but if you can afford both, then go for it, there really is no wrong answer!
The best of nothing left...
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Out of the two I'm finding Homecoming more replayable. I'm not sure why, but I find it's areas/'levels', boss fights, controls, etc. more welcoming to pick up and enjoy multiple times. Most of Origins' excitement was first time only for me.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Badass Cyborg
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Badass Cyborg »

My vote goes to 'Origins'.

'Homecoming' wasn't bad, but I feel that it had a deeply flawed combat system which made for a frustrating playthrough. The story got interesting towards the end, but I agree with what was said earlier in the thread about there being too many characters
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
many of whom were killed off after one or two encounters.
Truthfully, the whole game just felt too "different" for me to fully enjoy...and this is coming from someone who absolutely adored 'Shattered Memories'. Go figure.

'Origins', on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise, as I really wasn't expecting much from a PSP port. I found Travis to be a more likable protagonist than Alex (c'mon, who doesn't love a guy that can wield a drip stand whilst carrying portable TVs and toasters in his inventory?), and I enjoyed seeing some familiar faces in familiar places. I was also more immersed with Travis' story, despite it being a tad predictable.

It's kind of difficult for me to explain the "why?" for these games, but...yeah, something just sat better with me when I played 'Origins'.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: This or Origins?

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Like has been said, depends on what you're looking for.

Origins:
Some of the best level design since the first game.
Horrible combat controls.
Worse graphic quality, better graphic design
Good personal story
Bad cult story
Some good puzzles
Too many weapons
Scary otherworld transitions

Homecoming:
Looks good on an HDTV
Way too dark
Somewhat interesting boss fights
Excellently paced first hour
Great melee combat, for some enemies
More linear than it seems
Good acting
Too many characters not fleshed out enough
More gory than other games
Some enemies are just fun to kill

Personally, I definently like Origins better. I would take atmosphere and level design over combat anyday.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

Yeah, Homecoming is better, I think. Origins was okay, but the graphics were kind of shotty. Plus, Homecoming has a better plot. Plus... Alex is cooler than Travis ;D
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i say homecoming if you can only get one

both if you can
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Miette wrote:Homecoming has a better plot.
Not as far as I'm conserned.
The plot had too many influences from various sources.

0rigins, while being based around the story of Silent Hill 1, it definately managed to add new emotions to the series.
I don't want to give any plot points away, but for me (as I've stated in the past) 0rigins felt like a classic SH game. Homecoming did not.
We are still here...
RestlessxDreams3
Just Passing Through

Post by RestlessxDreams3 »

It's hard for me to pick one out of the two. Both of them have their good and bad moments.
Personally, I think Homecoming is better. It held my attention longer than Origins. Origins annoyed me the whole time I was playing it, I didn't really appreciate it until after I beat it.

Annnd, as Miette said, Alex is cooler than Travis. :lol:
[img]http://i12.tinypic.com/4l75lk3.jpg[/img]
Wolfus
Just Passing Through

Post by Wolfus »

I vote for Origins. It is really more Silent Hill-ish than Homecoming. It's also more about survival (weapon breaking), monsters are more challenging and town is more creepy. But Homecoming is very good game too.
Damp mud burning in my eyes...
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

alex is def cooler
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Why does everyone say the graphics on Origins are terrible? It was developed for the PSP, what do you expect, PS3 graphics? lol

There both not that great if I'm honest. But I think it would be Origins for me. I like Homecoming, but felt it was missing alot of what made SH great. Where as at least Origins had some atmosphere.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I like the graphics in Origins better than Homecoming. The flashlight in Homecoming sucked and I didn't like the Otherworlds as much. The people looked better though.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Remember... 0rigins looks great for a PSP game; Homecoming looks bad for a PS3/360 game...

0rigins shows us the Silent Hill Town like a normal town with a dark aspect; Homecoming shows us Silent Hill like an evil corporation tjhat wants to take over the world... The final level in 0rigins is shorter but a lot cooler; the final level in Homecoming is bland and boring... 0rigins has better puzzles but Homecoming has better bosses... 0rigins has a lot more exploration than Homecoming, also the alternate layer is a lot better...

0rigins just has action icons when you are struggling with a creature, Homecoming has those annoyings messages Jump, Open, Pick, Shit (Really Sherlock?? We survived 5 SH games without annoying mesages telling us what to do)... In 0rigins you mark your next destination in your map after a specific event; in Homecoming you have lame Objectives because the developers think that you are too dumb and can't think by youself... You can pause the cinemas in 0rigins (One of the better ideas in a videogame); you also open your menu screen with the select button and there you choose your desired screen (Items, Weapons and accolades I think), in Homecoming you have 3 different menus that open with 3 different buttons and this can get really annoying when you keeps opening the wrong menu...

Play 0rigins if you like thinking more; play Homecoming if you just like fight without think...
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

KageReneko wrote:Remember... 0rigins looks great for a PSP game; Homecoming looks bad for a PS3/360 game...

0rigins shows us the Silent Hill Town like a normal town with a dark aspect; Homecoming shows us Silent Hill like an evil corporation tjhat wants to take over the world... The final level in 0rigins is shorter but a lot cooler; the final level in Homecoming is bland and boring... 0rigins has better puzzles but Homecoming has better bosses... 0rigins has a lot more exploration than Homecoming, also the alternate layer is a lot better...

0rigins just has action icons when you are struggling with a creature, Homecoming has those annoyings messages Jump, Open, Pick, Shit (Really Sherlock?? We survived 5 SH games without annoying mesages telling us what to do)... In 0rigins you mark your next destination in your map after a specific event; in Homecoming you have lame Objectives because the developers think that you are too dumb and can't think by youself... You can pause the cinemas in 0rigins (One of the better ideas in a videogame); you also open your menu screen with the select button and there you choose your desired screen (Items, Weapons and accolades I think), in Homecoming you have 3 different menus that open with 3 different buttons and this can get really annoying when you keeps opening the wrong menu...

Play 0rigins if you like thinking more; play Homecoming if you just like fight without think...
Finally, someone who has relised that Origins was a PSP game, and actually looked good for the format it was on!
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

Origins had ALOT of potential. If done right it could have been the best in the series. But it felt to rushed and didn't feel complete. I'd still get it though its really fun. And besides Travis is awesome.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I'm not sure how Origins could have been the best in the series without better enviromental detail, a more memorable soundtrack, about four times as much dialouge, an ending that makes sense, and a better connection between the personal and cult story. I think the game had potential to be better, but to be the best in the series it would have to be a completely different game IMO, one hardly recognizable with Origins, it was set up finely for goodness, but not greatness.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

The only thing origins had goin' for it was that it was the only game that came close to looking as good as the older games in terms of atmosphere and imagery,...but i still feel this entry for the franchise wasn't needed....the story wasn't the greatest, the hand-to hand combat with the nurses was laughable and at times the game felt like a slog fest or just felt like you were going thru the motions.

SH1 explained everything you needed to know without having the need to create an "origins" game...i'd have to say homecoming is better...i've got quite a few complaints against that game as well...(combat/ some questionable level design/SH2 similarities/PH)...but the experience is more enjoyable than what was seen in origins...and homecoming does have it's moments....and i actually liked Alex's character and how he reacted to what was going on around him.