The Source of 206

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

The Source of 206

Post by The Adversary »

"They tell me you've lost two drivers."
"Yes. One killed and the fellow that brought you."
"What rotten luck. Would you like us to take the cars?"
"That's what I wanted to ask you."
"We'd take quite good care of them and return them to the villa. 206 aren't you?"
"Yes."

In Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell To Arms, Tenente Frederic Henry is an American serving in the Italian army as an ambulance driver during the Great War. His residence at the above villa is 206.

I believe this is the source of Alex Shepherd's recurring number. The fantasy he created is reminiscent of Hemingway's novel, and the author has been previously alluded to in the Silent Hill series.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

A very simple theory-yet also very accurate and correct. I can't believe I missed this one, since I've read most of Hemingway's books.
Sirea
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Sirea »

Very neat discovery, MMY. :D
"Remember how people look in "The Ring" after Samara gets 'em? SH2 does something similar, only you get fat, sweaty and belligerent." - pianotheme @ livejournal
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Whew, good find... That makes a lot of sense.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

This is interesting... but would you mind elaborating a bit, MMY? Hemingway previously being alluded to in the series doesn't quite prove anything as far as Homecoming is concerned, and some of us haven't read the novel of which you speak, so it's difficult to fully believe you unless you give some convincing details showing how Homecoming is reminiscent of the novel, other than the number 206 and a soldier being involved.
SHF

Post by SHF »

i figured it meant the time josh died or his autopsy report time of death.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It does. He's talking about where Double Helix got the idea to use the number.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

:D Leave it to MMY to connect teh dots! Nice, but where else was there references to A Farewell to Arms in the SH series?

:S Maybe I dont know because thats the only book of his I read?
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
Daisukenojo
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Daisukenojo »

I wish I was as smart as MMY :?
[quote="Catch22"]Wait, wasn't the guy in the trailer wearing a shirt? You know who else wore a shirt? Hitler.

Hitler confirmed as SH6 protagonist.[/quote]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's not so much being smart so much as well-read and really, really, really scrutinizing.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

And also incredibly smart.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

So why don't you answer my post? :( Is there nothing to elaborate on?
Basically, I just wanted you to back up the statement "the fantasy he [Alex] created is reminiscent of Hemingway's novel." (Spoilers for the novel are okay, because I'm not likely to be reading it anytime very soon.) From what you included in your post, I just don't understand how it's so convincing that the book inspired the number 206. The fact that a soldier and the number 206 are involved in both stories may be a nice thing for a fan of both to notice, but if that's all they have in common, I'm left scratching my head as to why everyone's so convinced.

If I've missed something, do enlighten me!
Just Passing Through

Post by 206 »

Weird...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

phantomess wrote:So why don't you answer my post? :( Is there nothing to elaborate on?
Basically, I just wanted you to back up the statement "the fantasy he [Alex] created is reminiscent of Hemingway's novel." (Spoilers for the novel are okay, because I'm not likely to be reading it anytime very soon.) From what you included in your post, I just don't understand how it's so convincing that the book inspired the number 206. The fact that a soldier and the number 206 are involved in both stories may be a nice thing for a fan of both to notice, but if that's all they have in common, I'm left scratching my head as to why everyone's so convinced.

If I've missed something, do enlighten me!
I can't say much, since I've not read the novel, but considering a lot of stuff in the Silent Hill games is literary references, not to mention it's this exact number... it seems odd to be a coincidence.
Laxamentum
Just Passing Through

Post by Laxamentum »

Sirea wrote:Very neat discovery, MMY. :D
-Gasp- I was wondering where he went, I had no idea.

But yeah, it seems very fitting. That is very neat!
It's a damn shame the way people mistreat such nice things...
-Curtis