"Mom, your dress is...." ????

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Post by Droo »

I have a feeling that if Lillian really BELIEVED that the gun would work, it would work.

The entire point of Homecoming was to show the town's power is to make people's beliefs real.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I wouldn't say it's the ENTIRE point, but sure.

Though it is telling that Alex finds the gun to be broken. Under this idea, could he have subconsciously jammed it in a "She wouldn't, she can't" sort of thing?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

Could have, I suppose. I think it was more likely that it truly WAS jammed but that Lillian could have willed it to operation for the purposes of committing suicide.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That's absolutely absurd.

Why doesn't she just, you know, wish Josh back to life? Oh, b/c this isn't the land of Oz. You can't just close your eyes, click your heels three times and make a wish.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Because it's not that simple, Adversary. Maybe she didn't know the old gun was broken. She knows her son is dead. It's not "Wishing makes it so". Believing does though. That's what causes the Otherworld in Homecoming to begin with, is the mass belief that they're all fucked good and proper for not appeasing some imaginary god. She knows in her heart that Josh is dead. She may or may not know the revolver is broken.

But I figured it was a memento of the only person left in her life, Adam. Josh is dead, Alex never really was allowed to be her son, and he's been off at Alchemilla. And now, after all that, Adam has gone off to try to fix what Alex and he broke, facing dangerous monsters and only god knows what else. So she was keeping the revolver close to remind her of Adam.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I have to side with Adversary on this one. I myself was never really convinced of the "Alex could kickass because he thinks he's a Soldier" thing. The Otherworld's never had this sort of effect before.
Oh, b/c this isn't the land of Oz. You can't just close your eyes, click your heels three times and make a wish.
OZ DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY YOU STUPID N00B OH MY GOD HAVEN'T YOU READ THE BOOKS YOU IGNORANT MORON? GAWWWWD

Teehee, that was fun.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Otherworld never had that kind of power before, but maybe it's because the Order of the Holy Way members are even more batshit insane than the other sects.

Besides, Josh IS alive in Homecoming. A form of him at least is made real by the town.

I'm not saying you can just WISH for anything. I'm saying that if you are so disconnected from reality, the town can do pretty much anything to reflect your insane delusions. Be that making an idealized version of your wife, conjuring schoolyard bullies for you to shoot, making your abusive father real to haunt you, or making a seemingly broken gun operable.

When you compare what the town has already done, making a broken gun work doesn't seem so outlandish.
Lives in the mirror"
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

AuraTwilight wrote:I myself was never really convinced of the "Alex could kickass because he thinks he's a Soldier" thing. The Otherworld's never had this sort of effect before.
That is one of my biggest problems with the story, if you don't buy the super Alex theory then it might mess up the game for you. It fucked it up for me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The Otherworld never had that kind of power before, but maybe it's because the Order of the Holy Way members are even more batshit insane than the other sects.
Even more batshit insane than Dahlia "burn-my-daughter-for-evulz" Gillespie and her group? Yea right.
Besides, Josh IS alive in Homecoming. A form of him at least is made real by the town.
I wouldn't really argue that. It's not like it's actually him or anything, and even then it doesn't make him alive.
That is one of my biggest problems with the story, if you don't buy the super Alex theory then it might mess up the game for you. It fucked it up for me.
I just assumed he learned it the good old fashioned way. He finds pamphlets on how to whoop ass throughout the game. Maybe he's seen them before? He's wanted to be a soldier ever since he was a kid.
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

AuraTwilight wrote: I just assumed he learned it the good old fashioned way. He finds pamphlets on how to whoop ass throughout the game. Maybe he's seen them before? He's wanted to be a soldier ever since he was a kid.
I read those pamphlets too and I'm not some badass monster slaying schitzo...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Did you practice every day since you were like eight or whatever?
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

AuraTwilight wrote:Did you practice every day since you were like eight or whatever?
I did take Karate, if that counts. I hear the old "Adam taught him to fight" reason a lot too but that doesn't quite hold water for me either. Who would spend 20+ years distancing themselves from someone that they plan on murdering yet still teach them to fight? I always figured that he would have taught Josh some combat stuff but never Alex.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It didn't necessarily have to be Adam teaching him how to fight.

Though bear in mind that Adam and Lillian ultimately failed to break off their attachments to Alex, and didn't actually start neglecting him until Josh was born. Josh was born when Alex was about...12, I think?
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Placebo.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Oh shit. Did you just use a real world example of mind over matter? Not exactly the same as "I think I'm a bad ass so I am" but meh. It works.

I'm of the school that the "Combat manuals" were Adam's. Alex was ALWAYS in Adam's stuff, and Adam was always getting on him for it. So he's reading these combat manuals and practicing them every day, playing soldier (BTW, they don't actually contain what they do in the game, but rather real combat information.. Game mechanics FTL?).

However that doesn't change that the only reason the town of Shepherd's Glen is sucked into the Silent Hill Madness is their mass hysteria and belief that they will be punished for Adam's failure as a member of a founding family.
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
SHF

Post by SHF »

also keep in mind that some people are naturally good at fighting/ defending themselves.
alex may be one of those people.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Droo

Post by Droo »

AuraTwilight wrote:Even more batshit insane than Dahlia "burn-my-daughter-for-evulz" Gillespie and her group? Yea right.
Dahlia's sect believed that God could be manifested in a child. Dahlia herself was the only one in that sect who believe she could torture it out of Alessa.

The entire Holy Way sect was devoted to ritual child murder/sacrifice and believed God would punish them all for deviating from the path. Not even Dahlia was that fire and brimstone. The Holy Way's God is a bloodthirsty petty lunatic.
Lives in the mirror"
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

helldescent wrote:also keep in mind that some people are naturally good at fighting/ defending themselves.
This! And placebo.
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

helldescent wrote:also keep in mind that some people are naturally good at fighting/ defending themselves.
But still, combat rolls and handsprings? This game, IMHO, just asks too much of me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Dahlia's sect believed that God could be manifested in a child. Dahlia herself was the only one in that sect who believe she could torture it out of Alessa.
By "her group" I meant the group of people that supported her, not her entire sect.
The entire Holy Way sect was devoted to ritual child murder/sacrifice and believed God would punish them all for deviating from the path. Not even Dahlia was that fire and brimstone. The Holy Way's God is a bloodthirsty petty lunatic.
Kill 21 people, put God in rock or equivalent. Derp. /AdviceMira