Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Post by Droo »

Indianapolis and St. Louis are major major cities. It makes sense to direct motorists to them.

Unless Ashfield is a significant American city in the Silent Hill universe, I still don't buy it.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

It could be. Who knows? I certainly don't. I'm just trying to speculate logically.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Droo

Post by Droo »

Given how much time Henry apparently spent sightseeing in Silent Hill, it seems odd to suggest it's that far away. Furthermore, the radio in SH4 refers to bodies being found in Silent Hill in the 21 Sacraments ending. Why would a different state be reporting on a couple unidentified bodies in a resort town there?
Lives in the mirror"
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Droo wrote:If Ashfield is in a different state entirely, why is there a sign depicting its distance in Downpour? Why would they bother naming such a distant city on a sign in Silent Hill? Wouldn't it make more sense to direct people to places in the state?
A police report in Downpour confirms that Ashfield is in another state.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Droo wrote:My mistake re: identity.

If Ashfield is in a different state entirely, why is there a sign depicting its distance in Downpour? Why would they bother naming such a distant city on a sign in Silent Hill? Wouldn't it make more sense to direct people to places in the state?
If I go onto Interstate 95, I will see signs right where I live which depict distance to Washington, DC and Rocky Mount, NC. Neither of these are in my state, and Rocky Mount is not a major city.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Kenji wrote:
Droo wrote:If Ashfield is in a different state entirely, why is there a sign depicting its distance in Downpour? Why would they bother naming such a distant city on a sign in Silent Hill? Wouldn't it make more sense to direct people to places in the state?
A police report in Downpour confirms that Ashfield is in another state.
Really? Which one?

Ryan: Interesting. Admittedly, I am speaking from my own experience in Canada, where there's fewer provinces for signs to direct us to cities therein.
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I can provide another example based on my area. The Wisconsin Dells. People from Illinois and other states flock there, and it's not really that big of a town. It's just a smallish tourist town, just like Silent Hill.
And, if bodies were found in the Dells, because of its popularity as a vacation spot for Chicagoans and many others, you bet your ass that would be on our news.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Droo

Post by Droo »

Fair enough. Kind of neat when you think about Walter's little adventure fucking things up in an entirely different state.

In any event, back to Overlook, the retcon still poses significant problems.
Lives in the mirror"
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Droo wrote:Really? Which one?
The one about the stolen police cruiser.

At 0820 on 2/26, the suspect crosses the state line into Ashfield, where he's apprehended.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Ah. Well, we still have the same problem then. If it only takes 9 hours to drive from Thompson to Winnipeg, how could a city "just over the state line" into Ashfield be a whole day's drive away from anywhere in Maine?
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Droo wrote:Fair enough. Kind of neat when you think about Walter's little adventure fucking things up in an entirely different state.
Never thought about it before, but that is neat.

As for Overlook. If the issue is why wasn't Walter sent there, it could have to do with the nature of his crime. Here in the Chicago area, depending on what a person is convicted of, they either get sent to Cook County Penitentiary or to Statesville Penitentiary (Al Capone was once held there), which is in a different county. It just really depends on the way their institutions are set up. There's any number of reasons as to why Overlook appears in two buildings, and to why Walter never went there. Like I said, I don't know, but one could find an explanation that makes sense I'm sure.

As for Ashfield. All I know is that it's said to be a "day's drive away" in SH4. I don't recall the info from Downpour, but It makes sense I suppose.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Do American highways have significantly lower speed limits than Canada? I still am grappling with how anything in Maine to a city just over the state line could be the same driving time away as Thompson is to Winnipeg.
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I'm as baffled as you are there, Droo. We can only work with the information given us, and unfortunately I think the developers are thinking with more drama and gameplay oriented intentions than realistic distances or the setup of fictional correctional institutions.
Droo

Post by Droo »

They should have just given the Downpour prison a different name. Or;

Spoilers for Downpour:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Since Murphy just magically teleports there after Anne shoots him in the boat, and we never see his approach to the prison, they should have just not depicted a prison island at all and just implied he was in the prison in the location it was in Homecoming.

It would completely have avoided this unnecessary and easily bypassed continuity issue. That's why this one irks me so much.
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I agree, they should have given it a different name.
Unfortunately, I will not read that spoiler, so I cannot comment on that.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

The police report in question is from the Boston PD. Murphy stole the cruiser in Boston, then drove over a state line into Ashfield.
Droo

Post by Droo »

KiramidHead wrote:The police report in question is from the Boston PD. Murphy stole the cruiser in Boston, then drove over a state line into Ashfield.
Hmm. That means Ashfield is either in:

New Hampshire
Vermont
Rhode Island
New York
Connecticut

I am thinking New Hampshire or Vermont makes the most sense. Probably New Hampshire as Boston is farther away from the Vermont border than NH.
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

This is all great speculation. See the information is there, we just have to look for it and consider it when we find it.

I just thought of something not connected to Ashfield or Overlook but that also connects Homecoming to the canon:

Travis Grady.
He appears in Homecoming, giving Alex a lift. His earlier appearance in Origins connects him to the Main series via Alessa's involvement. This means Homecoming takes place in the same SH continuity as Alessa and Travis, i.e. Homecoming is canon.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Unless Hospital or In Water are the true ending of Homecoming. In which case, how the sweet zombie Jesus did Alex know who Travis is?
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

It's another mystery!
I suppose, in the case of those endings, he could have been some sort of SH ghost-thing, like Lisa and Maria.