Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

How did you like Homecoming

FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING
8%
That was pretty cool!
16%
It was okay, sure.
36%
Meh.
17%
Please don't make me play it again!
7%
KILL IT WITH FIRE
15%

Total votes: 107

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Post by Kenji »

Lawlzy wrote:Though the construction of a good story is pretty universal (conflict/resolution etc), I'd say the story should be generally unpredictable, captivating and have heart. As in, I want to genuinely sit there thinking "OH MAN what's gonna happen next?"

By atmosphere I just mean the general, unnerving Silent Hill atmosphere, if it's intact and working in Homecoming.
Oh, my... you're probably not gonna like it too much, then. :|

It's far from unpredictable, and the atmosphere (barring one chapter) is a step down from past installments. I'm not saying you're guaranteed not to enjoy it, since you're the determiner of your own tastes, but I would suggest getting it at a low price to cut down on any potential disappointment.
Lawlzy
Just Passing Through

Post by Lawlzy »

Kenji wrote:
Lawlzy wrote:Though the construction of a good story is pretty universal (conflict/resolution etc), I'd say the story should be generally unpredictable, captivating and have heart. As in, I want to genuinely sit there thinking "OH MAN what's gonna happen next?"

By atmosphere I just mean the general, unnerving Silent Hill atmosphere, if it's intact and working in Homecoming.
Oh, my... you're probably not gonna like it too much, then. :|

It's far from unpredictable, and the atmosphere (barring one chapter) is a step down from past installments. I'm not saying you're guaranteed not to enjoy it, since you're the determiner of your own tastes, but I would suggest getting it at a low price to cut down on any potential disappointment.
Thanks for the info. Just read that the PC version isn't any good (can someone verify this?) so I won't be playing this anyway since I don't own a PS3 or Xbox...
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

The PC version is very, very broken. I highly recommend going with console if you intend to play.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I don't have a PS3 or 360 either. The PC version is a bit unoptimized but with the right hardware and... Windows XP it runs fine.

On Vista or 7 there're a lot of hitches at checkpoints and some issues with the dodging after a couple of loading screens.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Does it not still have the broken part in the game after a certain boss?
I could swear most people being unable to track down a save after the boss in order to continue because it constantly errored.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I've never even had that problem, I'm not sure.

The only time the game ever crashed on me is when I would minimize the window.
SHF

Post by SHF »

I was disappointed with one small thing about the plot.
The fact that we see Josh's ghost ( or hallucination if you will) leading/running from Alex.
It was too cliche. There should of just been the flashbacks of him and that's it. It would of added more mistery and depth to the storyline.
Everything else about the game was great. Awesome monster design, a completely new and interesting plot ( except for the aformentioned part).
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Completely new and interesting plot? Sure, if you've never played Silent Hill 2.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mace63
Just Passing Through

Post by Mace63 »

I came through the PC version of the game twice without any errors or even slight glitches whatsoever.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I snatched up Homecoming as soon as I could and it was one of the first PS3 games I played, after beating MGS4. I played it for about 2 days and beat it (2 days including stops for eating, bathroom, sleeping and socializing as well as derping around in game, dying, navigating, puzzles, first go arounds usually take me a while). I enjoyed playing it, though combat was kind of clunky (I found dodging a bit unresponsive and it became extremely difficult to fight back or defend in very cramped spaces; the hardest boss to me is Asphyxia because her room is just 1/4 bigger than herself) and I hate Smogs. Smogs are probably the worst normal enemy in the game to me because I am horrible at aiming a gun and nothing else will suffice while fighting them. The ending I got first go around also disappointed me but that was my own fault (I actually picked a choice I didn't want to lead into the decision I made but I hadn't realized it was a bad choice until it was too late) but, while I wasn't blown away by Homecoming by any stretch of the imagination, I did enjoy playing through it.

What disappoints me now is that I find it very difficult to replay. I have started countless new games but I always slow down or stop entirely when I hit the graveyard or the first Smog and I can't really pin point why. I know the game gets better from that point, it gets a lot better once you get to Sepulcher and on (I thought the climax of the game in the Otherworld church was really awesome) but I just can't seem to will myself further even to get to Scarlet and she was my favorite boss. Hell, minus the dolls (oh god dolls why), Hell Descent was probably my favorite part of the entire game.

I liked the characters, I liked the look, it played smoothly except for the combat (but what Silent Hill has a fluid combat system?) and the only other real complaint I had was that each monster got an introductory cutscene. That made them sort of lose their intimidating qualities even if their designs were really interesting (for the most part) because they just came out in your face and there was no real mystery to them whereas, in past titles, a new monster just shows up as you're playing and you're like "WTF IS THAAAAT?!"

Over all, I wasn't disappointed by Homecoming but it's far from the best and could have been better. I still enjoyed it, though, and would like to replay it properly in the future.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
SHF

Post by SHF »

AuraTwilight wrote:Completely new and interesting plot? Sure, if you've never played Silent Hill 2.
You really don't like me do you?
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Aura does have a point. The plot wasn't anything special, and it was predictable. Hell even a lot of people that like homecoming admit this. My friend predicted the plot twist about a few hours into the game the first time he played.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

SHF wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Completely new and interesting plot? Sure, if you've never played Silent Hill 2.
You really don't like me do you?
HAHA, that was funny.

Homecoming's plot felt new and interesting . . . for about the first hour. After that it fell flat on it's face.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

People are just bitter and can't get the hell over it. Might as well not even express your likes about the game or you'll just get snarky, smart ass replies.

Hell, people don't even discuss the game. This whole section is just the same crap over and over again about how much HC sucks. Le sigh.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Oh brother not this "people are just mean when it comes to homecoming don't bother trying to defend why you like the game because they won't understand" stuff again.

To quote myself in another homecoming thread where a homecoming fan said a similar thing
maybe you're argument just wasn't that solid? Yeah we get it you guys like homecoming but saying things like "don't bother you'll never understand" makes it look like you're just upset that a lot of people don't feel the same way you guys do and you can't make a good argument to defend the game you like.
Seriously, what is with people using this logic on homecoming. If you like the game just defend it, but don't do this thing where you try to make homecoming look like some kind of amazing game that's a victim of "mean" fans that won't give things a chance :roll: . There is a reason it is considered the worst silent hill game in the series. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking it even if i don't, but keep in mind it got the lowest rating out of all the silent hill games on metacritc, this is fact. Are they being snarky because they rated it the lowest in the series? And yeah i know reviews don't mean everything, but it's something to take into account when most reviewers rate it lower than any other silent hill game.

Hell i consider silent hill 3 the best sh game in the franchise, better than 2. And i consider sh4 to be way better than shattered memories and almost tied with sh2. There are plenty of people who disagree with me but i don't resort to saying they're bitter or something. If anything from what i've seen some homecoming fans seem bitter that a lot of people don't like it as much as they do.

Also who is being snarky? Seriously?
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

^^^Haha...this....i don't get why folks get so upset over people complaining over homecoming either...i thought it was a decent game, i just hated the awkward combat. I respect homecoming tho...it really did try to please everybody...it had the somewhat SH2 storyline, it had the infamous PH, it had elements from the movie to draw folks in who actually saw the movie and it tried to expand on the combat that everybody complained about earlier in the series.

Again i thought the Helldescent levels and the otherworld house levels were done impressingly well....but the combat and the huge crossfire target for the guns was just plain ugly,....and i kinda didn't like the whole blu-ish gray themes....well at least when you got to the graveyard, i thought that should've been a terrorfying experience....instead it was a bit lackluster.... It was weird for me tho, when i came upon the graveyard i started to lose some interest in the title at that point.

It wasn't a bad game by any means, but some of the criticisms against it are valid....
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Yeah, I don't think Homceoming was a "bad" game either, but... it scares me. It was kinda close to bad in some ways and it feels like the series is just looming closer and closer to it. Every time a new SH game comes out and it isn't "bad" these days I feel like a bullet was dodged and it's becoming a closer shave with time. I honestly don't want to see a bad SH game, I'd prefer the series to end before that happens. For me, more SH doesn't just automatically equal more awesome.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

^Oh brother not this "people are just mean when it comes to homecoming don't bother trying to defend why you like the game because they won't understand" stuff again.

To quote myself in another homecoming thread where a homecoming fan said a similar thing

Quote:
maybe you're argument just wasn't that solid? Yeah we get it you guys like homecoming but saying things like "don't bother you'll never understand" makes it look like you're just upset that a lot of people don't feel the same way you guys do and you can't make a good argument to defend the game you like.

Seriously, what is with people using this logic on homecoming. If you like the game just defend it, but don't do this thing where you try to make homecoming look like some kind of amazing game that's a victim of "mean" fans that won't give things a chance . There is a reason it is considered the worst silent hill game in the series. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking it even if i don't, but keep in mind it got the lowest rating out of all the silent hill games on metacritc, this is fact. Are they being snarky because they rated it the lowest in the series? And yeah i know reviews don't mean everything, but it's something to take into account when most reviewers rate it lower than any other silent hill game.

Hell i consider silent hill 3 the best sh game in the franchise, better than 2. And i consider sh4 to be way better than shattered memories and almost tied with sh2. There are plenty of people who disagree with me but i don't resort to saying they're bitter or something. If anything from what i've seen some homecoming fans seem bitter that a lot of people don't like it as much as they do.

Also who is being snarky? Seriously?

Oh please, I could begin my post the same way. I never said anything about being mean or anything like that. Don't put words into people's mouths; it's really tasteless.

And I've seen the defences before, but people like you just like to ignore it and move on with your inane and redundant comments. Yeah, we get it, you don't like it. Move in with your lives already.

I also really have to question your ability to read if you seriously haven't seen some of this comments. Or perhaps you're willingly ignoring them again. I mean, there's one only a few post above my other one. Surely I don't have to point it out for you.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:Yeah, I don't think Homceoming was a "bad" game either, but... it scares me. It was kinda close to bad in some ways and it feels like the series is just looming closer and closer to it. Every time a new SH game comes out and it isn't "bad" these days I feel like a bullet was dodged and it's becoming a closer shave with time. I honestly don't want to see a bad SH game, I'd prefer the series to end before that happens. For me, more SH doesn't just automatically equal more awesome.

I absolutely agree with this....This series always has me waiting with nervous anticipation every time a game is released. And i hate to say it, but i was confident that when the Team Silent crew was doing this, i wasn't worried about what i was going to expect...

Even tho some feel that prt4 was the weakest in the series...i myself thought the game had a strong storyline and the overall concept of being locked up in your apt was great. It also kept the creepy and disturbing atmosphere that the series was known for.

Homecoming and Shattered Memories were both decent Silent hill games, but both just felt like watered down versions of the originals...
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

@ Fevered Dream I'm not putting words in your mouth, as far as the whole mean thing, im just saying that's how some homecoming fans come across when they say things like
People are just bitter and can't get the hell over it.
. Definitely not putting words in your mouth here. But it seems like you're putting words in people's mouths that dislike homecoming, or at least assuming things about them.
And I've seen the defences before, but people like you just like to ignore it and move on with your inane and redundant comments. Yeah, we get it, you don't like it. Move in with your lives already.
Nice strawman. So anybody who disagrees or argues against anybody who defends the game isn't actually debating their point they're just making insane and redundant comments. Ok sure. Do you realize how bias you sound against people who don't like homecoming? It's one thing to say you disagree, it's another to say their comments are ridiculous. Sure there are extremes i'll give you that. You do occasionally get the people that are all like "homecoming sucks cuz japanes people didn't make it" and i'll agree that it is pretty ridiculous but come on they're in the minority on this forum. Also i could say the same thing, yeah, we get it you like it move on with your lives already. See what i did there?
I also really have to question your ability to read if you seriously haven't seen some of this comments. Or perhaps you're willingly ignoring them again. I mean, there's one only a few post above my other one. Surely I don't have to point it out for you.
Relax with the condescending "can you read" crap, it's annoying. I'm gonna assume you're talking about aura's comment where he said
Completely new and interesting plot? Sure, if you've never played Silent Hill 2.
So what, that's his opinion. Seriously why does it bug you so much when people criticize the game. I mean it would be different if you acted like this, then actually defended the game or stated why you like it so much. But so far all i've seen you do is go on and on about how people who don't like homecoming just make crazy arguments and should stop criticizing the game.

It's like i said before, when people criticize silent hill 4 for being crappy(even though i found it way better than shattered memories) or disagree that sh3 is better than 2 i just argue my point, or at least try to make the understand why I like the game so much. Seriously what's the big deal here?