Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

How did you like Homecoming

FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING
8%
That was pretty cool!
16%
It was okay, sure.
36%
Meh.
17%
Please don't make me play it again!
7%
KILL IT WITH FIRE
15%

Total votes: 107

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Post by Kenji »

He's the reason why Travis needed his own Sexy Beam.

Sorry, I lied. That Sexy Beam is for everybody. :)
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

First of all, I did enjoy Origins!
As for Homecoming, I voted Meh. When I first got it, I did enjoy it, however it just didn't carry the Silent Hill feel that the other games portrayed (including Origins). It felt too hollywood, and they took so much from the film it felt like that it was loosely based on the film! A re-imaging of it in fact. But I don't completely hate it as it wasn't a horrifically bad game. It just kinda missed the point a little.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Well... if you are admitting to it, you aren't a closeted fan, now are you?
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

I am more than happy to publicly announce my love of Origins.

*Diverting all power to shields*

I think it's better than SH3.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Skele wrote:No mikefile, a lot of people on this site thought Origins wasn't a very good game. im not just making "a dumb and illogical statement," i'm going by what i've seen posted from the fanbase here.

and stop insulting my reading comprehension! I haven't said one word about how poor your grammar is.
Calm down. I was not insulting anybody.. I was just being direct by saying that you didn't get me.

As much as there are people thinking Origins was a bad game, there are people who loved it.. the site also gives other info by which you can reach a conclusion. http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18491..
Take it easy.
AuraTwilight wrote:No.
You're right.. My bad. I checked it: rumors were about SH0, not SH1.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^I would definitely say the people who loved it are in the minority, and it should be noted that the a lot of people thought the person who made that thread was a troll.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Oh, they're most definitely either a troll or far too obsessed with the idea of Travis. : P
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

SH0rigins was an okay game, sure. It had its flaws, but overall, on the first playthrough, it was fun.

However... it was really a rehash of SH1--it had about one new character, Travis; the breakable-weapons-only (except guns) concept was a bit tedious; and the story relied EXTREMELY heavily on SH1.

It was okay, but it was the first "okay" game in a series that, untill that point, had been GREAT!
Last edited by WelcomeToNowhere on 15 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I am more than happy to publicly announce my love of Origins.
I stand by that. Origins was a fantastic game.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:...and the story relied EXTREMELY heavily on SH1.
I really wish they hadn't gone into the SH1 stuff at all. It felt like they had a half-baked concept for Travis' story, but it got pushed to the side to work in every chance they could to do SH1 stuff. As a result, both sides of the plot were pretty weak and forgettable. Then again, the dev environment sounded like it was a mess, so I can't blame it entirely upon lack of focus.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

...wait, how did this become an Origins discussion?

I haz a confuzzled.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^My bad.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

I finally bought SHSM last week.

Honestly, I was expecting a little... better? Yeah, better.

I don't care for the control scheme, the fucking goddamn chase scenes, the lack of any real character development AT ALL, and the relatively anti-climactic ending sequences.

It was a nice game, but not /really/ worth $20.00.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i voted that homecoming was kool, i think i am more forgiving then others and i know that it has its problems but i really liked the game
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

ww_andi wrote:i voted that homecoming was kool, i think i am more forgiving then others and i know that it has its problems but i really liked the game

I agree, but I"ve been playing Homecoming again here lately. And the game isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Yes it's different than the other games, and yes the focus is on combat. But really I still like the game it still has a Silent HIll feel to it. The story is interesting, and the situations in game are interesting. The Hell decent in my opinion was better than any other Silent Hill game situation and setting to date. At least this was my opinion, not saying that everyone would feel the same but.

Also I know alot of people did not like the order members, but I actually liked that aspect to the game. It actually added some realism to it in a way. I mean all this time you heard about the order, but you never really saw the order members. With the exception of Claudia and Vincent to name just a few.

In closing, Homecoming deserves a bit more praise than it gets. Just because it was developed by different developers doesn't make it a terrible game. It just isn't quite as innovative as the rest, but this is due largely. By the fact that this game came out much latter than the older titles. And back in the day the older titles were as good, or seemed as good as they were. Because in the time they were actually well ahead of their time. As for Homecoming, it isn't that impressive, because of all the other titles before it.

But I"m sure that if Homecoming had come out back in the old days. It would've been praised alot more, and would've seemed excellent. But being that we have all the other titles before it. It just seems a bit less in quality, but not by much really.

Alot of things I hear people complaining about, are things that the other Silent Hill titles had problems with. Clunky controls, things of that nature.

I am not, and was not disappointed with this game.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^ I have alot to disagree with what you said. However, I'll avoid trolling comments and simply state that even though Homecoming has some positive aspects, it doesn't justify anything, it's not enough. The bad aspects are simply heavier and unfortunately, they make a disappointing game. Most of the fans think so. It's a fact.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I also disagree. Plus I don't get the Hell's Descent love, Alex's Otherworld House was Homecoming's only great level. The story was only interesting to me for about an hour, then lost it's way. The first couple games did exploration and puzzles better than Homecoming does combat. The bosses were mildly enjoyable but more forgettable than in the first few games. I remember close to little about half of the characters, the levels were too dark, and I think that if Homecoming had come out in the old days, I would consider it even worse than I do now because my faith in the series was higher then. I even hated Silent Hill 3 at first because it was a great game instead of an amazing one, and Homecoming is just okay, not great.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

There's a lot to love about Homecoming, but there's some pretty rough failures. Namely the last level. It's like they assumed torture and blood everywhere makes for a terrifying holy shit end level. But ugh, no.

What they COULD have done was something like, discovering the what they did below the church without any form of humans.

I would have loved to have gone down to the bottom of the church and see what those people did in an otherwordly perspective. The REAL horror. Seeing glimpses of the atrocious acts while allowing your mind to fill in the blanks of what really happened in those rooms. Not a bloody chair, a bloody room with a whole shit ton of torture devices and some dudes with pipes trying to kill your ass.

The Hostel BS pissed off and insulted a lot of fans and even the series itself.

Homecoming felt like they had a checklist of consistencies in the series and they just followed it. It felt half of the game was extremely brilliant, inspired and well put together. Then some coked up executive came into the room yelling THIS SHIT WON'T SELL.

The game ends up dead center as a mediocre Silent Hill game. Half of it is amazing, half of it was practically condescending to the fans.

Though I do agree with both Alex's house and the Hell Descent as very well done.
Last edited by Tabris on 07 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

*Double clicked submit by accident bleh*
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

* intro nightmare + Helldescent + Hell House + outside church otherworld + boss location = ALL THE SAME bloody and rusty SH1, 3, Origins palette with a few machineries and eventually some cliché dollies.
* The loading with super combat tips. DoubleHelix- It doesn't matter how you hit them, it's the meaning that's essential.
* The children's revenge theme = just the same rip off from the movie = Alessa's revenge to the Order. (I always deeply hope that the bosses were only the parents' manifestation of guilt and not some ressurected BS dead people )
* monsters poorly ripped off from previous movie & games- nurses, smog=straight figure, PH, etc...
* the SH2 aneurism plot- "Ow.. did I really kill my loved one? Crap!"
* the Order's underground- people massacred for no reason (movie theme rip off= pseudo christians and witch hunters burning people for nothing), torture devices, blood, saws, etc... Firstly, it gives away the mystery atmosphere, your assumption about what happens in there. Secondly, that's not how the Order deals with things. They don't kill people just for not joining their sect. They don't drill them or slash them just because of their lack of respect.

That's really not Silent Hill. Maybe something that seems like Silent Hill. But definitely not Silent Hill.