Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

How did you like Homecoming

FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING
8%
That was pretty cool!
16%
It was okay, sure.
36%
Meh.
17%
Please don't make me play it again!
7%
KILL IT WITH FIRE
15%

Total votes: 107

WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Double Helix games tried, of course--you can see the effort the put into the game was copious. The story, the elements of horror, the scares themselves--it was all too Hollywood and blase for my taste. I didn't care for the unnecessarily detailed combat system, the over-the-shoulder camera viewpoint they used in lieu of the standard eerie angles, or the health bar.

Thoughts?
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Post by Typographenia »

I thought it was an acceptable entry in the series.

It didn't take any real risks, but it still delivered an enjoyable experience.
The game had problems, but I never had any issues crop up while I was playing. Unlike most people, I don't regard it like it killed a family member, but I understand why there are those that do.
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

A loud, resounding, definitive "Meh" from me. I didn't hate the game, but it is my least favorite entry in the series. They could have put a little more effort into the story and the atmosphere, and taken a little less from the movie (though I realize this is a point of contention). All in all, my biggest complaints were too much shock/torture horror and too action-oriented.
Don stepped outside... It feels good to be alone... He wished he was drunk...
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

^I'm with Don, Aman. However, there are times when I look at it and can't help but be mildly disappointed, however to list why I would have to forward a pretty lengthy post.
Last edited by Pleasant Sinner on 10 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I voted for Meh, but when I first played it, it was more like KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Trying to come around and appreciate it for what it is, but it's hard when I never get to replay it anymore.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

I enjoyed it. Sure, there were bits that annoyed me, things that I didn't like, and parts that were hard, but overall I enjoyed it.
I'll go with "it was ok, sure", but really, my opinion is somewhere between "it was ok, sure" and "it was pretty cool". Not quite this, not quite that.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I voted kill it with fire! The game was pretty bad as a silent hill game. But even as a standalone game i found it sub par.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I put "FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING" because I had a blast playing it, for whatever reason. I do acknowledge its flaws, but can't deny that I loved every minute of it. Although I do tend to enjoy games vilified by the gaming community.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Although I do tend to enjoy games vilified by the gaming community.
Pshh, you didn't actually like the game you're just trying to be different. :P
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

No, that's my job, remember? I don't believe anything I say—I just say it to be different.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Oh yeah, i forgot you're a hipster. :wink:
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Oh yeah, i forgot you're a fuckin' hipster.<
Fix'd.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

@OP: Always trying to find a way to turn things into shit so you can laugh about it later. Pathetic.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I voted Meh. It was my least favorite.

I had pretty low expectations, so I didn't think I could be disappointed. But I really enjoyed the first hour, so that raised my expectations, only for them to be destroyed. Still, I didn't HATE the game. But I feel little drive to play it a second time. I barely felt compelled to complete it the first.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

You could probably read most other topics to find people's opinions on HC since people seem to be most vocal about it, whether or not they like it. But just for fun I voted it was cool, because as a game I enjoyed it very much and found it an acceptable entry into the series. Yeah it's not perfect, but few games are.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Ya know, first time I played Homecoming, I started off all 'hey wow they've done an amazing job of recreating Silent Hill in next-gen and high def and all that, I'm going to really enjoy this!' and did start to really get into it, but as the combat started I found myself getting really wound up - I hadn't gotten the hang of dodging etc. and just don't tend to play a lot of combat-centric games, so by the time I got to the hotel I was low on health drinks and those needler things were completely raping me. I got up to the police station, found the dialogue and events in that section to be a little too 'hollywood' and then the onslaught of Schisms completely obliterated any chance I had of finishing the game, so I traded it in and expressed my disappointment.

Years later, however, after having played a few more combat-based games and gotten experience with that kind of gameplay, I picked it up again, and enjoyed the hell out of it. I did have to 'forgive' a few moments which were a little too 'hollywood' for Silent Hill but for the most part I found it to be a really good game, often with moments (gameplay wise, definitely not story wise) which outdid the original games for me, particularly the bosses.

To this day it's still one of my favourite games on my PS3, even though I can completely understand why some SH fans dislike it.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I really like Homecoming. it definitely has its flaws, but i think the pros (at least for me) far outweigh the cons. it's still my favorite SH game to play, and it hands down has some of the best boss fights in the series. i dig the atmosphere, and the graphics are pretty good. only things i'd really knock it for are its story (which is average at best), some of the texture/graphics issues (womens hair, glowing teeth), and how sparingly Boogeyman is used.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

SH:HC really reminded me of the gameplay of Resident Evil 5.
I did not really care for RE5, either.
There was also that problem of not much plot drive--I spent about 2 hours wandering around, wondering "wtf do I do now?" after I got the Magical Knife Thing. AND THE FUCKING SCYTHE SPIDERS! I FUCKING HATE THEM THEY JUST DON'T DIE!!! /rage/

(I got a new avatar today! What do you think?)
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:SH:HC really reminded me of the gameplay of Resident Evil 5.
I did not really care for RE5, either.
There was also that problem of not much plot drive--I spent about 2 hours wandering around, wondering "wtf do I do now?" after I got the Magical Knife Thing. AND THE FUCKING SCYTHE SPIDERS! I FUCKING HATE THEM THEY JUST DON'T DIE!!! /rage/

(I got a new avatar today! What do you think?)
ha, if RE5 had the gameplay of Homecoming, i would've enjoyed RE5. the gameplay is similar, but Homecoming's gives you much more freedom than RE5.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

ha, if RE5 had the gameplay of Homecoming, i would've enjoyed RE5. the gameplay is similar, but Homecoming's gives you much more freedom than RE5.
Fair enough. But I liked the style of combat in Silent Hill 4 better, because it wasn't quite so Rube Goldberg-esque--complicated for the sake of being complicated, you know?