Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

How did you like Homecoming

FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING
8%
That was pretty cool!
16%
It was okay, sure.
36%
Meh.
17%
Please don't make me play it again!
7%
KILL IT WITH FIRE
15%

Total votes: 107

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Post by Kenji »

SilentWren wrote:Homecoming is at the beginning of the year, prom's at the end. :P
(Just kidding. I know what you meant.)
And I never made Homecoming or Prom Queen!! :cry:
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

awwww.
I'm pretty sure Alessa or Claudia will make Silent Hill, put you as prom queen.

o: I call dibs on Henry Townshend as round 1 dance partner!

Then Claudia Wolf for the slow dancing... oh yeah! :| :mrgreen:
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Zeraylph wrote:awwww.
I'm pretty sure Alessa or Claudia will make Silent Hill, put you as prom queen.

o: I call dibs on Henry Townshend as round 1 dance partner!

Then Claudia Wolf for the slow dancing... oh yeah! :| :mrgreen:
...why Henry? He doesn't even have a personality! ...well, I guess dancing doesn't *require* a personality, but it certainly would halp.

I'd go for Angela or Cybil, personally. I like a strong and/or psychopathic woman, myself. Gotta dig that crazy! :mrgreen:

Now, I think our conversation has somehow violently derailed, and we might want to get back before people get permabanned.
harrymason3456
Just Passing Through

Post by harrymason3456 »

I voted for it was okay sure because it had it's good and it's bad and so far until Downpour comes out it's the only next gen SH.
I understand now,it's time to end this nightmare - James Sunderland
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Oh damn... The My Little Pony Craze has reached the Silent Hill Forum...
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

^ It's been here for months. I just haven't had an excuse to reference it, 'til now. :wink:
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

*Enters thread*
*See's pic of my little pony*
*Leaves immediately*
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

I might be way late in saying this, but I also heavily agree with Kenji's view on the Hell Descent level and Scarlet. To me at that point is where Homecoming felt its purest in both atmosphere and level design (probably except for that part with the soundboard scream in one of those body bags). I was damn near ready to look up a walkthrough, but grew a pair and continued (like SH3!). And Scarlet herself was already a perfectly ideal blend in american/japanese horror. Though the second part of the fight where she started to crab walk was kinda goofy, I won't dismiss it so easily because everything else was well executed.

Too bad most other parts of the game to me didn't blend so well, but there's no doubting that there were some well crafted parts in Homecoming.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

KageReneko wrote:Oh damn... The My Little Pony Craze has reached the Silent Hill Forum...

My Little Pony has flooded the interwebz, dood. It's the internet version of Katrina.

Anyway, how could we retool Homecoming to make it better? What to change, add, omit, etc.?
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

My 19 year old friend still watches and collects My Little Pony figurines. -shrug-
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

I definitely didn't think it was the best Silent Hill game or anything, but I certainly enjoyed it and thought it was a good game in general.
So I voted for "It was okay, sure".
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

I hated how frequent the monsters were and how limited supplies were. I understand that this is a big part of a survival horror, but how annoying it got in most parts was just unreal.

I love the plot, I love pretty much all of the characters and the little plot twists. The graphics were pretty amazing, they did a great job with the atmosphere and little details. Alex is my favorite protagonist, for sure.

There was just way too much crap going on most of the time. It bordered on impossible in some parts. And this is why I have only beat this game one time... sad, because I otherwise enjoyed everything else.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

I just wish the GODDAMN MONSTERS weren't so MOTHERFYCKING HARD TO KILL!!! :evil:
pinkandblack84
Just Passing Through

Post by pinkandblack84 »

i thought Homecoming was ok but just ok. I didn't have much trouble with creatures or monsters in the game and since i dont run around trying to kill everything in silent hill games it never bothered me to try and keep killing.

I think for me Homecoming though was largely disappointing on puzzles and the actual end payoff from the story ending the way it did, it just felt largely a bit well meh...
Watchdog

Post by Watchdog »

Skele wrote:I really like Homecoming. it definitely has its flaws, but i think the pros (at least for me) far outweigh the cons.
One colossal con that can't be ignored is that the game seems to spend its whole time trying to be something it's clearly not. We've come to know and love Silent Hill as a comfortably dull, slow-paced game where combat is an awkward obstacle rather than a focus. That's how the game has succeeded.
I didn't need two-stick controls or an over-the-shoulder viewpoint. Orienting games towards action results in them having that awful these-rooms-are-too-big sort of look, because areas that should be tight and claustrophobic have to be big enough to swing a camera about in them.

It's as if they thought if they traced over enough Silent Hill elements, they could make a game worthy of the name despite keeping virtually nothing about it the same. They've done that thing all the hacks in the game industry are doing at the minute - trying to reinvent, when they could just fucking invent something new. Franchise loyalty really is costing us the ability to enjoy anything new. I mean, look a few years back at Beyond Good & Evil. The single most entertaining game I've ever played... and yet I'm invariably alone in that, if it comes up in conversation.
I liken the sensation of being a SH fan and trying to play Homecoming to that of coming home to find your room has been completely emptied, but someone has painted photorealistic pictures of all your stuff exactly where it used to be.
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:I just wish the GODDAMN MONSTERS weren't so MOTHERFYCKING HARD TO KILL!!! :evil:

Cheers to that! :evil:
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
Lawlzy
Just Passing Through

Post by Lawlzy »

I've never played Homecoming but I've looked up the monsters and boss battles out of curiosity and I find them especially frightening-looking (especially Scarlet) and I'm interested in seeing these things in their environments. For one who plays Silent Hill for the atmospheric and story experience, am I better off skipping this?
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Everyone has different ideas of what constitutes a good story or atmosphere. Could you be more specific about your tastes?
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

@ Lawlzy. Honestly, yeah. Homecoming had more action and felt more like a hollywood style horror game. And the story was very predictable. Honestly to me the whole game felt pretty cliche.

But hey, you could disagree with me, the only way you'll really know is if you play it yourself.
Lawlzy
Just Passing Through

Post by Lawlzy »

Kenji wrote:Everyone has different ideas of what constitutes a good story or atmosphere. Could you be more specific about your tastes?
Though the construction of a good story is pretty universal (conflict/resolution etc), I'd say the story should be generally unpredictable, captivating and have heart. As in, I want to genuinely sit there thinking "OH MAN what's gonna happen next?"

By atmosphere I just mean the general, unnerving Silent Hill atmosphere, if it's intact and working in Homecoming.
SPRINGS02 wrote:@ Lawlzy. Honestly, yeah. Homecoming had more action and felt more like a hollywood style horror game. And the story was very predictable. Honestly to me the whole game felt pretty cliche.

But hey, you could disagree with me, the only way you'll really know is if you play it yourself.
I guess you're right I'd need to check it out for myself. Thanks for the info!