Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 16 Jan 2021

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

How did you like Homecoming
FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
That was pretty cool! 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
It was okay, sure. 36%  36%  [ 37 ]
Meh. 17%  17%  [ 17 ]
Please don't make me play it again! 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
KILL IT WITH FIRE 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 103

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
I just started playing it on PC for the first time recently and it's a nice game, so far. I expected the worse after reading all the hate on this site. I'd say it's better than SH4.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
silenthell88 wrote:
I just started playing it on PC for the first time recently and it's a nice game, so far. I expected the worse after reading all the hate on this site. I'd say it's better than SH4.

Well, that's your opinion, I guess. Do whatever the hell you want, but don't force your position on anyone else, okay? :D

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:
silenthell88 wrote:

Well, that's your opinion, I guess. Do whatever the hell you want, but don't force your position on anyone else, okay? :D

What the fuck is your problem? Try reading my post again very carefully and tell me where I forced anything on anyone. fucking idiot

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Y'know, Homecoming was alright. I don't think it was on par with the first three games, but not only did I play through it once, I actually wanted to play through it a second time. Not immediately, of course (Shattered Memories is the first game in a loooong time I wanted to play again immediately afterwards), but it was only a few months before I started musing about the things I might've missed and whatnot.

That's more than I can say for The Room or Origins. It took me years to play The Room again, primarily because it wasn't an enjoyable experience (it was a downright chore... and I've become less forgiving of games that feel like chores, as time goes on). Origins, meanwhile, took me three or four tries to finish even once. It'll probably be a couple more years before I even feel the slightest inkling of desire to play that one, again.

Homecoming had a few things going for it. For one, after The Room and Origins, I was probably happy just to have a Silent Hill that felt playable, so I'm probably much more forgiving than I would've been had it come right on SH3's heels. Controlling Alex was like gliding insubstantially over the ground (which, I think, contributes to the overall "shooter feel" Homecoming has), but at least everything worked. I didn't feel like I had to press the buttons harder, just to make sure Alex did what I wanted him to do. While the feeling of losing control is central to this series, I don't think losing control over my own reactions (or feeling like I'm about to, a feeling I constantly had in The Room and Origins) brings anything positive to the experience.

Second, Hell Descent and Scarlet were actually really good. The former, if anything, supports what SPRINGS02 has been saying for quite some time, that the atmosphere of the franchise, at its best, is independent of the enemies: I recall there being two Smogs, maybe three, and nothing more until Scarlet. Scarlet, along with her setpiece, was designed so well that it actually transcended the usual problems I have with boss battles in Silent Hill: The lack of conflict between my flight and fight response, since bosses can't be fled from. I'm not entirely sure what, exactly, caused it to turn out so well, but I'd suggest every team that takes on Silent Hill from here on out study the Scarlet setpiece and try to figure it out.

In retrospect, though, Homecoming does feel like a decline from the first three games. Like Origins, it feels derivative. I felt like I'd seen it all before. The game was trying so hard to be like SH2 that its ultimate revelation got a blink out of me. Funny enough, as much as I dislike the cult, it was actually the dilemma imposed on the Four Families that got the most reaction out of me, if for no other reason than how I chose to interpret it.

Like Alex in his third-person shooter controls, I felt like I was gliding through a "Greatest Hits" album of Silent Hill that, like many Greatest Hits albums, somehow manages to have all of the songs I don't care about and only a couple of the ones I do. While I am fond of Shattered Memories, it will ultimately be Downpour and its synthesis of all Western attempts so far that will tell me if Homecoming was worth it in the long run.

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
I wasn't really dissapointed with Homecoming...i generally just hated the combat. For me it felt forced in alot of area's....especially when you were roaming the streets of either Shepards Glenn or Silent Hill (which felt and looked pretty much the same)....enemies "zeroed-in" on you whenever you was within their area and if you killed them, they would re-spawn in certain area's.

The pattern-based combat was redundant and the overall animation of Alex and the creatures in general was choppy. I did like Alex overall as a character tho, and i did like the voice acting in the game,....furthermore the helldescent and otherworld house levels were great....not to mention i thought all of the bosses were designed well. I still like the first four games in the series over this, but homecoming wasn't a bad game at all, it just wasn't a very good SH game.

If you go back and seen some of the early screenshots of homecoming, there was something there to be excited about...the early images of the smog creature confronting Alex looked incredibly creepy and terrorfying...the textures and details of the creatures inside organs were done amazingly well, but when we got the final game...it seemed the overall graphics were downgraded...DH later stated that the engine they used couldn't run the game smoothly at such high detail, so they had to scale back the graphics a bit for it to run decently, and even then, the animations were choppy.

I think the game would've faired better if they had a better engine in place.....from what i understand, they built that engine from scratch and probably would've been better if they used some type of middleware engine, but then you have to factor the budget they were given by konami etc...and other factors, but in the end..homecoming with all it's faults was still a decent SH game.

Brookhaven Receptionist

The combat, for me, was one of the things I don't care for in SH:H. The series is supposed to be psychological horror, but the super in-depth, unnecessarily complicated combat system makes it feel more like action-adventure. It just detracts from the Silent Hill EXPERIENCE, you know?

Subway Guard

Missing since: 01 Mar 2004
Notes left: 1649
Last seen at: Canada, Ontario
It was okay but the riddles bugged the hell outta me and the monsters fighting melee didn't even let me hit them without me suffering the most damage and took me forever to just kill one even with a gun on almost every difficulty. I'd run out of ammo on every monster, most of the time I ran for it if I could that is... some ya can't avoid I got more frustrated than interested this game I didn't have patience for. The worst thing I found for me though that ruined the overall atmosphere was the sound effects were dull and they were such bad quality like they had been ripped so badly and they are brassy sounding it made the game so much worse like listening to a really low quality MP3. I never played it loud due to this. Is that only the PC version though? I stopped playing at the first boss couldn't stand some of it. Two different good sound cards it still sounded the same so I saw it as the game nothing else sounds that bad the other Silent Hills even 1 sounds better but it is closer to Silent Hill 1's audio :\

"Cheryl ? Is that Cheryl !?"
|
SH Tributes Part 0 to 5 at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DarkR27

Subway Guard

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1543
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
I voted for "meh".
Homecoming is my least favorite Silent Hill game. I really think that they could have made it far better. Instead, the developers focused on pleasing the "new" fans that were brought into the SH franchise by watching the movie.
Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie. What I didn't like was the afterward exploitation.
Origins was part of that too. (kind of)
But it was Homecoming that relatively got ruined by that attempt.

Good game. Not so good Silent Hill.

Last edited by Agent of God on 23 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Oct 2010
Notes left: 138
My beef with the game was that...

Well, the game is too much action. How Alex got his skills to fight from whether it's divine intervention or practicing in the institution is beyond me.

Ellie seems like, a burden, maybe Alex could lend Ellie a gun or so. Yeah, I feel like a terrible person for saying that, but she felt like a burden through my playthrough.

My other annoyance is the ammo limit. Alex can carry so many other stuff, yet he can't carry more than 20 shotgun shells?

Other than that. It was an interesting game, I managed to unlock most costumes including the Travis one.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 567
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
I will never forgive Double Helix for making it so....so...... owhh.. neither I'm able to pronounce it.............. "H.O.L.L.Y.W.O.O.D."
The thing that stopped me from clicking the "KILL IT WITH FIRE!" was the presence of the Family theme in the game. Till then we had father-daughter relations, husband-wife relations and mother- son relations.. but we never had the whole family pack. I loved the depiction of the family relations through the different characters and families.
Furthermore, the thing that made me avoid the "Meh." and the "Please don't make me play it again!" option was the connection to the Bible theme (Cain and Able, God's curse..etc.. ). It is known that SH takes different references and allegories from known works, so I'm glad that they continued with it.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Even though the way they used it was really cheesy and hokey?

Missing since: 27 Oct 2003
Notes left: 1227
Last seen at: Everywhere {UK}
The game wasent all that bad...i guess..., i enjoyed going back to old silent hill and wondering if ide get to go in the hospital, but everything blocked off, felt kinda cheap : / The main thing that pissed off me off was the ending
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Nice buildup with the order ect, in some kind of kickass church of the order, maybe we see the real 'god' or whatever, maybe even alessa drops in for a spot of tea while valtiel smokes meth under the altar. But no, we get some moany little dead kid that even I wanted to drown by the end of the game, turn into some big spider, really crappy 3d model too, while in the bossfight i couldent even SEE the derp. So yeah the highlight of the end part was doing that door puzzle o.o shame about the sucky boss behind it.

Gravedigger

AuraTwilight wrote:
Yeeeeeah........ what do I say? I am easy as a whore when it gets to SH.

Brookhaven Receptionist

mikefile wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
Yeeeeeah........ what do I say? I am easy as a whore when it gets to SH.

Hmm... interesting simile, mikefile. Is there... anything... we should know about you? Would you like to tell us something? :mrgreen:

Gravedigger

It was a joke.
But your interest in it is pretty curious too.. Maybe instead.. you'd like to share something with us, since such comparisons get to you so much?

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I brought some blow. Apparently I got some whores. Let's do this.

Just Passing Through

Just wondering. When anyone first saw Silent Hill Homecoming,
Did anyone think of a dance?

cause I was thinking "wtf, Silent Hill Homecoming? is this like a haunted dance?"
Then I realized Homecoming = Coming home.

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
^ The forum was filled with prom references when the title was announced, all the way up to the release, unless I'm mistaken. There was a pushback about how "homecoming" could be used in lots of different contexts, but nobody cared.

So no, you're not the only one.

Missing since: 27 Aug 2010
Notes left: 2249
Last seen at: The Rabbit Hole
Homecoming is at the beginning of the year, prom's at the end. :P
(Just kidding. I know what you meant.)

And yeah, Zeralyph, I thought that as well.

Thank you for understanding. <3

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21367&p=674128#p674128

Just Passing Through

Thanks Kenji and Silentwren! Glad I'm not alone.

When I first saw that picture of Josh and Alex
http://www.highrescovers.com/wp-content ... -62-47.jpg

I was like! oh wow, a haunted Prom/Homecoming dance in Silent Hill.
Monsters coming up and eating everyone, not the prom I would go to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next