Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 05 Dec 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

How did you like Homecoming
FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
That was pretty cool! 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
It was okay, sure. 36%  36%  [ 37 ]
Meh. 17%  17%  [ 17 ]
Please don't make me play it again! 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
KILL IT WITH FIRE 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 103

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
SilentWren wrote:
Homecoming is at the beginning of the year, prom's at the end. :P
(Just kidding. I know what you meant.)

And I never made Homecoming or Prom Queen!! :cry:

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Oct 2010
Notes left: 138
awwww.
I'm pretty sure Alessa or Claudia will make Silent Hill, put you as prom queen.

o: I call dibs on Henry Townshend as round 1 dance partner!

Then Claudia Wolf for the slow dancing... oh yeah! :| :mrgreen:

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
Zeraylph wrote:
awwww.
I'm pretty sure Alessa or Claudia will make Silent Hill, put you as prom queen.

o: I call dibs on Henry Townshend as round 1 dance partner!

Then Claudia Wolf for the slow dancing... oh yeah! :| :mrgreen:

...why Henry? He doesn't even have a personality! ...well, I guess dancing doesn't *require* a personality, but it certainly would halp.

I'd go for Angela or Cybil, personally. I like a strong and/or psychopathic woman, myself. Gotta dig that crazy! :mrgreen:

Now, I think our conversation has somehow violently derailed, and we might want to get back before people get permabanned.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 19 Apr 2011
Notes left: 26
Last seen at: Ireland
I voted for it was okay sure because it had it's good and it's bad and so far until Downpour comes out it's the only next gen SH.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1539
Last seen at: Colombia
Oh damn... The My Little Pony Craze has reached the Silent Hill Forum...

^ It's been here for months. I just haven't had an excuse to reference it, 'til now. :wink:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3855
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
*Enters thread*
*See's pic of my little pony*
*Leaves immediately*

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Jan 2011
Notes left: 166
Last seen at: Cloud 9
I might be way late in saying this, but I also heavily agree with Kenji's view on the Hell Descent level and Scarlet. To me at that point is where Homecoming felt its purest in both atmosphere and level design (probably except for that part with the soundboard scream in one of those body bags). I was damn near ready to look up a walkthrough, but grew a pair and continued (like SH3!). And Scarlet herself was already a perfectly ideal blend in american/japanese horror. Though the second part of the fight where she started to crab walk was kinda goofy, I won't dismiss it so easily because everything else was well executed.

Too bad most other parts of the game to me didn't blend so well, but there's no doubting that there were some well crafted parts in Homecoming.

Brookhaven Receptionist

KageReneko wrote:
Oh damn... The My Little Pony Craze has reached the Silent Hill Forum...

My Little Pony has flooded the interwebz, dood. It's the internet version of Katrina.

Anyway, how could we retool Homecoming to make it better? What to change, add, omit, etc.?

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
My 19 year old friend still watches and collects My Little Pony figurines. -shrug-

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 29 Aug 2009
Notes left: 230
Last seen at: My freezer. Chillin' out.
I definitely didn't think it was the best Silent Hill game or anything, but I certainly enjoyed it and thought it was a good game in general.
So I voted for "It was okay, sure".

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 19 Nov 2010
Notes left: 117
I hated how frequent the monsters were and how limited supplies were. I understand that this is a big part of a survival horror, but how annoying it got in most parts was just unreal.

I love the plot, I love pretty much all of the characters and the little plot twists. The graphics were pretty amazing, they did a great job with the atmosphere and little details. Alex is my favorite protagonist, for sure.

There was just way too much crap going on most of the time. It bordered on impossible in some parts. And this is why I have only beat this game one time... sad, because I otherwise enjoyed everything else.

Brookhaven Receptionist

I just wish the GODDAMN MONSTERS weren't so MOTHERFYCKING HARD TO KILL!!! :evil:

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 02 May 2011
Notes left: 10
Last seen at: Essex, England
i thought Homecoming was ok but just ok. I didn't have much trouble with creatures or monsters in the game and since i dont run around trying to kill everything in silent hill games it never bothered me to try and keep killing.

I think for me Homecoming though was largely disappointing on puzzles and the actual end payoff from the story ending the way it did, it just felt largely a bit well meh...

Missing since: 22 May 2006
Notes left: 2647
Last seen at: Bristol
Skele wrote:
I really like Homecoming. it definitely has its flaws, but i think the pros (at least for me) far outweigh the cons.

One colossal con that can't be ignored is that the game seems to spend its whole time trying to be something it's clearly not. We've come to know and love Silent Hill as a comfortably dull, slow-paced game where combat is an awkward obstacle rather than a focus. That's how the game has succeeded.
I didn't need two-stick controls or an over-the-shoulder viewpoint. Orienting games towards action results in them having that awful these-rooms-are-too-big sort of look, because areas that should be tight and claustrophobic have to be big enough to swing a camera about in them.

It's as if they thought if they traced over enough Silent Hill elements, they could make a game worthy of the name despite keeping virtually nothing about it the same. They've done that thing all the hacks in the game industry are doing at the minute - trying to reinvent, when they could just fucking invent something new. Franchise loyalty really is costing us the ability to enjoy anything new. I mean, look a few years back at Beyond Good & Evil. The single most entertaining game I've ever played... and yet I'm invariably alone in that, if it comes up in conversation.
I liken the sensation of being a SH fan and trying to play Homecoming to that of coming home to find your room has been completely emptied, but someone has painted photorealistic pictures of all your stuff exactly where it used to be.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 19 Nov 2010
Notes left: 117
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:
I just wish the GODDAMN MONSTERS weren't so MOTHERFYCKING HARD TO KILL!!! :evil:

Cheers to that! :evil:

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 07 May 2011
I've never played Homecoming but I've looked up the monsters and boss battles out of curiosity and I find them especially frightening-looking (especially Scarlet) and I'm interested in seeing these things in their environments. For one who plays Silent Hill for the atmospheric and story experience, am I better off skipping this?

Everyone has different ideas of what constitutes a good story or atmosphere. Could you be more specific about your tastes?

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3855
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
@ Lawlzy. Honestly, yeah. Homecoming had more action and felt more like a hollywood style horror game. And the story was very predictable. Honestly to me the whole game felt pretty cliche.

But hey, you could disagree with me, the only way you'll really know is if you play it yourself.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 07 May 2011
Kenji wrote:
Everyone has different ideas of what constitutes a good story or atmosphere. Could you be more specific about your tastes?

Though the construction of a good story is pretty universal (conflict/resolution etc), I'd say the story should be generally unpredictable, captivating and have heart. As in, I want to genuinely sit there thinking "OH MAN what's gonna happen next?"

By atmosphere I just mean the general, unnerving Silent Hill atmosphere, if it's intact and working in Homecoming.

SPRINGS02 wrote:
@ Lawlzy. Honestly, yeah. Homecoming had more action and felt more like a hollywood style horror game. And the story was very predictable. Honestly to me the whole game felt pretty cliche.

But hey, you could disagree with me, the only way you'll really know is if you play it yourself.

I guess you're right I'd need to check it out for myself. Thanks for the info!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next