Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 17 Oct 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

How did you like Homecoming
FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
That was pretty cool! 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
It was okay, sure. 37%  37%  [ 37 ]
Meh. 17%  17%  [ 17 ]
Please don't make me play it again! 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
KILL IT WITH FIRE 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 101
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 May 2011
Notes left: 11
Doctor Eggnog wrote:
Yeah, I don't think Homceoming was a "bad" game either, but... it scares me. It was kinda close to bad in some ways and it feels like the series is just looming closer and closer to it. Every time a new SH game comes out and it isn't "bad" these days I feel like a bullet was dodged and it's becoming a closer shave with time. I honestly don't want to see a bad SH game, I'd prefer the series to end before that happens. For me, more SH doesn't just automatically equal more awesome.


QFT

but at the same time I really wanted Homecoming to be good and I'm still debating buying it again and forcing myself to get through more of it. I got through just a little of the story before I.....sorta....fell asleep playing the damn thing cause I was so bored (not scary at all)

so should I pick it back up......its probobly cheap as hell now


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Doctor Eggnog wrote:
Yeah, I don't think Homceoming was a "bad" game either, but... it scares me. It was kinda close to bad in some ways and it feels like the series is just looming closer and closer to it. Every time a new SH game comes out and it isn't "bad" these days I feel like a bullet was dodged and it's becoming a closer shave with time. I honestly don't want to see a bad SH game, I'd prefer the series to end before that happens. For me, more SH doesn't just automatically equal more awesome.


My thoughts exactly. If Downpour isn't amazing, I want the series to end.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
^I don't have this issue, because I don't feel that the series is getting worse with each entry, but rather that it has it's ups and downs, like most series do. For instance, whilst SH1 is my favourite, I like Shattered Memories as much as I like SH2 and SH4. I prefer Origins to SH3 and put SH3 at the same level as Homecoming (they sit joint last in my opinion)

_________________
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I love Shattered Memories; it's personally my favorite. But apparently we're not gonna get another one of those because people bitched and moaned.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
That sucks, I really would have liked to see another Wii title by Climax, I'm pretty sure they would have learned from their mistakes. (All they would have had to do to make it perfect for me would have been increased variety of monsters, monsters during exploration, and a way to turn off the on-screen button prompts, oh, and some more cerebral puzzles.)

_________________
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
I wouldn't mind seeing climax work on a game of their own. Just not a silent hill game.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
I'd have no problem with them working on another title, I enjoyed origins, and I thought SHSM was great. That said I would like to see what Climax could to with their own horror IP.

_________________
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
i think climax would be better suited for a mystery game than a horror game. they could probably make a pretty great mystery game actually.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
AuraTwilight wrote:
I love Shattered Memories; it's personally my favorite. But apparently we're not gonna get another one of those because people bitched and moaned.


Thank God.

anyway, we've already had "bad" games in the series. The series has been hit or miss with the fans since The Room.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 565
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
^I believe the reason why the series had been hit with the fans should be Homecoming, not SH4. And honestly I didn't find it that scary, while The Room was brilliant in its indirect depiction (this is also, I believe, why fans didn't appreciate it). + I agree with Aura: why don't fans accept any changes, especially the best ones? SHSM was perfect and it's my 2nd best game after SH2.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
^Well to be fair not every change is a good one. For instance a lot of people didn't like the room set up in sh4(i loved it though), and i wouldn't consider how shattered memories went from psychological horror to psychological thriller a good change either. Also they took a huge risk by making the game rely on chase sequences to be the main scare of the game.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 565
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
SPRINGS02 wrote:
^Well to be fair not every change is a good one.
In the context I was referring to SHSM only.
SPRINGS02 wrote:
i wouldn't consider how shattered memories went from psychological horror to psychological thriller a good change either.

Kill me if you want but I always disliked a bit the word "horror" within the same sentence with "Silent Hill". I appreciate it only because it's an important element for the expression of the art of Silent Hill but usually.. not so much. Honestly, the reason why I'm not so fond of it is because I think that the interpretation of SH is too centralized in horror. "Shattered Memories" simply ejected this element, as it wasn't of universal importance and the game ended up to be amazing. And if you can't accept that then you should blame Homecoming for it, because(down) ......
SPRINGS02 wrote:
Also they took a huge risk by making the game rely on chase sequences to be the main scare of the game.
....analyzing it from another point of view,Shattered Memories declined the "real horror experience" (combat) because of Homecoming excessively using it. They feared that it wouldn't end up like Homecoming, with crappy and cheap OMGWTF-monster-just-popped-out moments. But that's just what I think.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
Shattered Memories wasn't bad, but the otherworld sections just wasn't scary to me at all. It was more annoying than anything...i only liked the "nowhere otherworld" which i thought started off brilliantly. I liked those exploration sections and even tho there was no combat, there was still something surreal and mysterious about the environments.

I still think it would've faired better if they would've added simple combat and some monsters in the exploration areas....and some better monster designs as well...i wasn't really impressed with the design of the "raw shocks"...


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Nah mikefile, Shattered Memories just sucked due to it being a shitty game... and if anyone can't accept that, then they should probably blame their taste in games, because it appears to suck as well.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
Skele wrote:
Nah mikefile, Shattered Memories just sucked due to it being a shitty game... and if anyone can't accept that, then they should probably blame their taste in games, because it appears to suck as well.



herp derp.

_________________
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Skele wrote:
Nah mikefile, Shattered Memories just sucked due to it being a shitty game... and if anyone can't accept that, then they should probably blame their taste in games, because it appears to suck as well.


Well someone certainly seems butthurt from having his favorite Silent Hill game bashed over and over.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Missing since: 13 Aug 2006
Notes left: 588
Last seen at: I can't remember.
Quote:
Definitely not putting words in your mouth here. But it seems like you're putting words in people's mouths that dislike homecoming, or at least assuming things about them.


I'm not assuming anything. It's pretty obvious that people like to complain endlessly about it.

Quote:
Nice strawman. So anybody who disagrees or argues against anybody who defends the game isn't actually debating their point they're just making insane and redundant comments. Ok sure. Do you realize how bias you sound against people who don't like homecoming? It's one thing to say you disagree, it's another to say their comments are ridiculous. Sure there are extremes i'll give you that. You do occasionally get the people that are all like "homecoming sucks cuz japanes people didn't make it" and i'll agree that it is pretty ridiculous but come on they're in the minority on this forum. Also i could say the same thing, yeah, we get it you like it move on with your lives already. See what i did there?


I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but it gets to the point where some people seem intent on shoving it down our throats. And I'm not trying to be bias for HC. I'm well aware of its cons and it's actually NEAR the bottom of my list of favorites, with SM being my least favorite, but you don't see me spamming the boards with my negative comments. I've said my peace a few times and moved on. My point is that it gets tiresome reading the same bit over and over again on every board in the forum.

Quote:
Relax with the condescending "can you read" crap, it's annoying. I'm gonna assume you're talking about aura's comment where he said


I was simply making a point because it's near impossible not to notice the plethora of snarky comments on this board.

Quote:
So what, that's his opinion. Seriously why does it bug you so much when people criticize the game. I mean it would be different if you acted like this, then actually defended the game or stated why you like it so much. But so far all i've seen you do is go on and on about how people who don't like homecoming just make crazy arguments and should stop criticizing the game.

It's like i said before, when people criticize silent hill 4 for being crappy(even though i found it way better than shattered memories) or disagree that sh3 is better than 2 i just argue my point, or at least try to make the understand why I like the game so much. Seriously what's the big deal here?


Because everytime I see someone express their likes about the game, these sorts of comments always seem to pop up. It's almost like some people can't stand that others actually enjoyed the game and need to act out like whiny children.

Also, there's a difference betwen criticism and endless, non-productive bashing, which many of the comments seem to be.

_________________
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1879
Last seen at: Los Angeles
Skele wrote:
The series has been hit or miss with the fans since The Room.

I would go so far as to say since Silent Hill 2.
There are a ton of people that didn't like the dropping of the cult stuff or the treatment of the environments, and they loved the return to it in SH3.

The SH games are quite varied from each title to the next on their appeal. This makes it really hard for me to recommend a starting point to people because some people might really like the narratives of the earlier games but hate the tank controls. Some people might find that the newer games offer better controls and are on a platform they own, but maybe the narrative isn't quite their cup of tea. It could go any way, really.

My absolute least favorite silent hill game is origins, and when I actually met someone that had only played origins and loved it, I was torn. I wanted to tell them they should play the other games, but they weren't much of a gamer in the first place. Would it be wrong to tell them their high praise for what I viewed as such an awful game was erroneous? Would I turn them off of the series entirely by trying to sell them on a game I loved, but maybe they wouldn't like?

I just let it be, but told them they should maybe rent one of the other games some day if they were interested. I haven't seen them since, but who knows, maybe they have a more avid interest in them now? Maybe not.

I'm sort of rambling at this point, but I just don't get the absolutes so many people try to throw around about these games. There are so many people that have never touched one of the "holy trinity," and they love the games they've played. I think that's a good thing if the silent hill games are going to ever grow into something sustainable. They probably shouldn't and won't, but yeah.

Skele wrote:
Nah mikefile, Shattered Memories just sucked due to it being a shitty game... and if anyone can't accept that, then they should probably blame their taste in games, because it appears to suck as well.

I hope this makes it into quotable notables because I'm dying laughing over here!


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
"Well someone certainly seems butthurt from having his favorite Silent Hill game bashed over and over."

nah, not at all Aura, i was actually joking. i just thought it was silly for mikefile to say we should blame Homecoming for not liking Shattered Memories. also, I don't really have a favorite for this series, but if i had to choose, it'd probably be the first game.

and Typographenia I think you're right when you say it started with SH2. also, like you i have the same problem when suggesting what SH game someone should give a try. it's also kind of difficult cos i don't think any of my friends still have a PS2 like me.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
^ I make my best friend borrow my PS2 to play my games. I make it seem like a nice thing to do but it's really for me lol. Gotta say, if any of those friends sold their PS2 that was a mistake, I don't get why anyone ever sells systems.

The series has been hit or miss with people since SH2 because the series kept changing after the first game. However, while SH2 and SH3 got accepted very well with time, I'm not sure that's going to happen with some of the recent games.

I've gotta say though, even I didn't like SH2 at first. It seemed too slow and vague in the beginning and I wasn't used to PS2 graphics yet. Now it's my favorite game of all time!

Edit: Hey, that's my 800th post!

_________________
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: