The worst part of Silent Hill 2 (Spoilers)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Scabbed Angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scabbed Angel »

the Adversary wrote:Uh-huh. But, like I said: There's a very simple method that I assure, 100%, will keep you alive for the entire hallway. Guaranteed.

At the first turn, put yourself between the red pyramid thing & Maria. Fire seven to ten rounds at it with the handgun--be sure to count. Quick spin, and run to the far side of the fenced-area. Go into the menu, reload the handgun automatically. Maria will run past the fence; the r.p.h. will follow. Fire another seven to ten rounds at it--be sure to count. Quick spin, run to the exit.

Guaranteed, one try.
Just a side note on this, because I can never manage to get the mary ending, can Maria be hit even once by PH in this scene? I'm almost to the end, and that was the only time she got hit.. twice I believe... do you think I have a chance at getting the Mary ending, or am I pretty well screwed?

EDIT: For the topic, the only thing I didn't like about SH2 when I played it the first was the lack of the Otherworld imagery from the first one.. which makes sense now, but it was still a little disapointed as it was one of my favorite aspects of SH1.
Masahiro Ito fanboy
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>can Maria be hit even once by PH in this scene?
She can be, yes, but you've got a better chance if she hasn't been. The easiest way to ensure the Maria ending--not Mary, just so you know--is to repeatedly check on her in room S3: just stand next to her and continually press X, over & over & over & over, like twelve times. And then, in the [otherside] Brookhaven, when Maria's following you again, just hang out with her in an empty room for about fifteen minutes. Don't pause it, or go into the menu, just let it idle.

Her only being hit twice won't kill your chances of receiving the Maria ending, especially if you follow the above advice.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Scabbed Angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scabbed Angel »

the Adversary wrote:Her only being hit twice won't kill your chances of receiving the Maria ending, especially if you follow the above advice.
Yes, the "Maria" ending, my bad. Awesome, thanks! I've been trying (sad as it is) for years to see that ending, and most of the FAQ have claimed it's the easiest ending to get. :< Apparently my James is too selfish or retarded :(
Masahiro Ito fanboy
Disciple of Claudia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Disciple of Claudia »

If you have the Greatest Hits version for PS2 and play Born from a Wish before you play the main scenario, there's a 99% guaruntee you'll get the Maria Ending in the main scenario. 8)
Hopscotch is Civilization!
Sinweaver
Just Passing Through

Post by Sinweaver »

The final battle wan't artistic, it was straight corny. She vommited flies for fuck sake. I felt like I was playing Resident Evil.
Scabbed Angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scabbed Angel »

KnightWolfe wrote:The final battle wan't artistic, it was straight corny. She vommited flies for fuck sake. I felt like I was playing Resident Evil.
I don't remember her vomitting them... Anyway, ("what do you mean anyway?" heh... *ahem*) I found the final leg of the game to be perfect, James has confronted his reality, and the PHs' purpose is complete... only one less thing to tie up... Mary or Maria. I think asthetically the final boss is classic SH, great design (looked like Dahlia to me, and I'm a sucker for her *batts eyes* heh) and ties other aspects together (the cages). Also I thought the moths were a great touch, vomitted or not. Oh well, everyone will have their own opnion... I thought it was awesome, definately best end boss of the series... althought Vatiel masking the god was a close second... still gives me chills..

Also, thanks Disciple for the tip!
Masahiro Ito fanboy
Sinweaver
Just Passing Through

Post by Sinweaver »

I think that we can agree to disagree.
Redder
Just Passing Through

Post by Redder »

FrozenHalo wrote:
Icewater wrote:In my opinion, the worst part of SH2 was the boss after the PHs. It seemed tacked on.
You mean Maria? the entire reason the game happened?

How can the ultimate resolve be tacked on? The game happened just for that one scene.
It did seem very tacked on. I don't think that it needed to be in the game at all. There was no actual reason for it (besides having a final boss). The only reason I can figure it was in there was to metaphorically destroy what was tormenting you. In any case, I think the game could've done without it, or at least incorperated into the game without making it seem tacked on.
the Adversary wrote:Strange, Jim, 'cuz that's been the only final battle I enjoyed.
Regardless if it was a good fight or not (which, in my opinion, it was a great fight), it can seem like it was rushed to the player.
Last edited by Redder on 24 Dec 2005, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1060]Free Speech[/url]
This is a community, and you have freedom of speech, but as a community, that freedom is restricted if you're intending to use it for offending purposes, or to simple belittle your fellow members. Remember, your freedom ends where the other person's freedom starts.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

I think it's ridiculous that people could think the final boss, probably the boss with the most significance in the game, could be "tacked on."
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Disciple of Claudia

The second to last battle was the beginning of closure for James and the last battle finished the closure for James. The conversation held before the last battle tells you what James' final decision about his life will be: Leave SH with Laura, Leave SH with Maria, Suicide or Bring Mary Back from the Dead.
Redder
Just Passing Through

Post by Redder »

Krist. wrote:I think it's ridiculous that people could think the final boss, probably the boss with the most significance in the game, could be "tacked on."
Regardless of how important 'a role it played in the game, it felt tacked on. The definition of the term "tacked on" basically says that the situation is there without even being so much as mentioned in whatever it is that it is tacked on to, it can seem almost like a filler. Yes, it was Mary, the game's center of gravity, but the prelude to the scene, and the scene (notice how I use the word "scene", as opposed to "fight", or "mary") itself all felt like they could've been introduced better without it feeling like the game was one thing, and changed completely to accomodate this one fight.
Last edited by Redder on 24 Dec 2005, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1060]Free Speech[/url]
This is a community, and you have freedom of speech, but as a community, that freedom is restricted if you're intending to use it for offending purposes, or to simple belittle your fellow members. Remember, your freedom ends where the other person's freedom starts.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I don't understand your perspective, nor do I agree with it, so.. whatever.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Disciple of Claudia

Those are butterflies not flies that attacks James. She vomits them?? I'm going to have to watch for that the next time I fight her.
Will_ay

Post by Will_ay »

She doesn't exactly "vomit" them....they sorta...fly from her.

This thread is doing an amazing job of confusing the hell out of me. :|
This space intentionally left blank.
Disciple of Claudia

All I did was say my peace about PH. I'm as surprised as you are at this thread.
Sinweaver
Just Passing Through

Post by Sinweaver »

Those are butterflies not flies that attacks James. She vomits them?? I'm going to have to watch for that the next time I fight her.
Okay, go back and watch where the...Wait, butterflies? Why in the hell would butterflies attack you? And if they are butterflies, why didn't the butterflies in the apartment where you find the key in the hole attack you?
But anyway, they seem to flow out of her mouth, and she makes a sound as it's happening, like shes vomiting. It's kinda dumb, not really intimidating.
Disciple of Claudia

Because Mary/Maria didn't know what James was going to ultimately do so there was no reason to attack him there. Also note Maria has a butterfly tatoo.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

They're moths, not butterflies.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Disciple of Claudia

Well I'll be damned. According to the strategy guide they are moths!!! I stand corrected.
Sinweaver
Just Passing Through

Post by Sinweaver »

Moths eat holes in my favorite sweater, they don't eat people so why would you take damage if they hit you? Are they eating his clothes to death? Odd...