Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 13 Dec 2019

Post subject: I think I have a good one....

Ok, can people die in Silent Hill?...Because if Silent Hill is a place were people are punished for there sins...Why would you kill them, you would want to keep them alive so the punishment could last for eturnety right? But If they can't...I have a Q. why are there dead bodies in Silent Hill 2?...One of them is in the alley and you get the West Side Apt. Gate Key off of the dead body...And the other is outside Neallys Bar (sorry for the miss spell) Because you never see anyone die (Eddie, Maria were just figments of James' mind right? So they didn't really die because you can't die if your not real ) Any anwsers?

-Sparta

Post subject:

A good...what?

And yes, poeple can die in Silent Hill. They simply vanish and are never heard from again once they step into the mist world.

The bodies you see in SH2 are factually stated to mainly be mental projections from James, but some are Eddie's victims too.

The confusion is that ppl wanna go "where did everyone go in the town?" They didn't go anywhere, they were never there. The mist world has no ties to our world.

Elsewhere, the town of Silent Hill is surviving on a small population and lots of urban legend, and also occasional missing persons. James and Mary, for example, are missing persons.

Plenty died in the original Silent Hill story, but the circumstance of that town and setting due to Alessa and God being physically real and unleashing the otherworld are much debate. We don't really know what happens to the souls of the dead, or if souls are even real. Team Silent has stated Lisa's soul is being tormented long after the story is over, though...

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
I once felt that all people in SH are already dead. In that case, Silent Hill grants dead spirits a chance to resurrect themselves without realizing that they were already dead, given that they are able to go through the hell. For example, James is already dead in the beginning, but does not realize it. Since he is a troubled/sinful spirit, he should go to hell. In this case Silent Hill acts like a portal to hell. It judges these spirits whether they are truly sinful or not. If the spirits are proven to be rather innocent, then SH allows those spirits to live again (although the world they are returning to could be just mere illusions). I.e. if SH thinks a soul is sinful, he is trapped in SH forever or truly dies; but if SH thinks a soul is innocent, then he is resurrected into an illusionary world - heaven of sort.
However, I don't feel that way anymore, it's too far-fetched.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2005
Notes left: 699
Quote:
Ok, can people die in Silent Hill?

Yes.
Quote:
why are there dead bodies in Silent Hill 2?

Most are projections of James' mind. If you look at them, most arent even human. The one in the alleyway is a StraighJacket in clothes, the one in the fridge is a mannequin, and the one in the chair is James (or at least the in game model of James).
Others are the victims of Eddie, too.
Anyway, if you can create monsters from your subconsiouce, why not bodies? Dosnt mean they had to be alive before.

And no Angela and Eddie were not created from James' mind, Maria, however, was.

Post subject:

Ok thanks...I thought that Silent Hill is a place where the sinful are punished.

James' killed his wife, Eddie is crazy and most likely killed people in the real world, Angela is messed up in the head and ran away from home (thats not sinful but still) [/spoiler]

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Mar 2005
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Everett, MA
Sparta wrote:
Ok thanks...I thought that Silent Hill is a place where the sinful are punished.

James' killed his wife, Eddie is crazy and most likely killed people in the real world, Angela is messed up in the head and ran away from home (thats not sinful but still) [/spoiler]
She also killed her father, kthxbi.

Post subject:

Sparta wrote:

Silent Hill has nothing to do with sin. Thats a christian idea.

Silent Hill is there to express the nature of humanity, without moral or religious labels. It explores the unpretty side that everyone has, that everyone wants to ignore. It's just as much a part of us.

And no, Eddie didn't kill anyone until he arrived in Silent Hill. Angela killed her father.

Guilt is driving these characters, not sin. The town doesn't give a shit what they do, it's their own minds and feelings that are shaping the surroundings. They are playing their own courtroom.

Post subject:

So it's kinda like a prison type thing made by the mind?...And just to clear any furture arguments...I'm a christian. (Don't worry I'm not affended)

-Matthew

Post subject:

well, the heavy of heart speak to the town.

These people are all locking away a part of themselves they hate and want to be rid of.

The problem is that it cries out, and the town listens. Parts of their mind they may not know or see begin to influence the surroundings. Facing these truths, it eventually forces them down a certain path. The town cares not the path, but most people wouldn't survive. James shows that, generally, the nightmare can end by simply accepting and recognizing that part of you that's crying out...you accept that part, you can accept whats being manifested around you. It goes away because it's no longer being created.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2005
Notes left: 699
Quote:
Silent Hill has nothing to do with sin

Well, not if you're being picky about it.
The 'sin' causes the guilt, the guilt draws them to the town.
...etc...