Miriam K.

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Krist. wrote:God what a crock of shit.
Yeah, I think that's stretching it a bit...
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

9saves wrote:
SilentChain31 wrote:Goto Gamefaqs ont he Silent Hill 2 Section marked Seconadry Characters youll find out about the NPCs in the game ^^
For the lazy peoples...

"Miriam K - "traitor". We find her grave in the cemetary next to Walter
Sullivan's grave. Does the name remind you of someone. Of course, it's not a
coincidence.
Miriam KAY is a derivation of Miriam LoKAYne - the name of Walter's eighth
victim ("Judgement" Tarot card). She probably betrayed her brother somehow.
Obviously, the gravestone is just a hallucination, which was only a part of
James' world. Or was it? James could see other people's worlds too, so maybe
he saw Walter's world. Walter, being on bad terms with grammar, could have
written "LoKAYne"
"
This is funny :)
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

That is standard practice from the GameFAQs bunch.

Creativity without focus, idea without thought, and functioning motor systems without brains.

I'm going to go with Occam on this one and say that Miriam K. is nothing more than a set-piece, a piece of trivia with no deeper meaning. Silent Hill 2 and two successive games have given me no reason to believe otherwise.
BloodRedLion
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by BloodRedLion »

It's there to show you that, historically, Silent Hill used to kill innocent people as well. You're supposed to find the one that's not a criminal afterall.

On a smaller scale, one of the 'criminals' has a metaphorical relationship with James' character.

Not to start a debate on a different subject here, but Silent Hill itself as a town did not and has never killed any innocent people. It has no consciousness or thought process.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

alone in the town wrote:That is standard practice from the GameFAQs bunch.

Creativity without focus, idea without thought, and functioning motor systems without brains.
You know, the author of this guide only submitted his work to GameFAQs and it simply got accepted. Besides that, he has no affiliation with GameFAQs.

In fact, he's a member of this forum. I don't know if that implies anything about our bunch. Generalizing is bad, anyway.
Prinny wrote:Does anyone have the Japanese script of the name?
It's [miriamu] K. The 'K'-part is written in alphabet. The [miriamu] portion is identical to Miriam Locane's Japanese version of her name.

Yet, unintentionally, you bring up an interesting point. The Japanese word for "traitor" as it's written in the Japanese script implies that she was a traitor for deceiving her country. The term, [baikokudo] literally means, "bastard that deceived [his/her] country." So, in reality, "traitor" has a more specific meaning in this case.

Since the whole point of the Locane twins was to signify their 'innocence', I'm doubting that Miriam Locane and Miriam K are one in the same.
alone in the town

Maybe generalizing is bad, but I spent four years at their Silent Hill boards and came away secure in the knowledge that all stereotypes have a basis in truth.
Not to start a debate on a different subject here, but Silent Hill itself as a town did not and has never killed any innocent people. It has no consciousness or thought process.
I'm glad more people are starting to understand that.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

BloodRedLion wrote:Not to start a debate on a different subject here, but Silent Hill itself as a town did not and has never killed any innocent people. It has no consciousness or thought process.
Heavens. Was my post that misleading?

I disagree with your notion, regardless. As you say, though, this is a different subject.
Knick Knack
Gravedigger

Post by Knick Knack »

I think this Miriam being labeled as a traitor was just to signify that the graveyard was one for criminals, thus further driving the point home as to why there were graves for Angela, Eddie, and James in there.
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Burning Man wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:Do the hung criminals (in the puzzle before fighting Eddie) have some kind of meaning?
It's there to show you that, historically, Silent Hill used to kill innocent people as well. You're supposed to find the one that's not a criminal afterall.

On a smaller scale, one of the 'criminals' has a metaphorical relationship with James' character.
You can't base any knowledge of Silent Hill realistically on a creation of James's mind. :P You can, however, extrapolate info on James himself.

And guys, I'm pretty sure he meant "innocent people were killed in Silent Hill", rather than "Silent Hill as a supernatural entity conciously killed innocent people". The hung men are all killed by officials or mobs, after all. The poem doesn't say "And the stranger accused of arson was sucked into an alternate dimension and devoured by monsters".
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Jetsetlemming wrote:
Burning Man wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:Do the hung criminals (in the puzzle before fighting Eddie) have some kind of meaning?

You can't base any knowledge of Silent Hill realistically on a creation of James's mind. :P You can, however, extrapolate info on James himself.
There's proof that it's not just a creation of James' mind. That proof being full names of our characters written on the catacomb tombstone. Specifically, how does James know the other characters' last names? Angela and Eddie never do introduce themselves with their full names. Unless, of course, you believe the other characters are James' creation as well?
And guys, I'm pretty sure he meant "innocent people were killed in Silent Hill", rather than "Silent Hill as a supernatural entity conciously killed innocent people". The hung men are all killed by officials or mobs, after all. The poem doesn't say "And the stranger accused of arson was sucked into an alternate dimension and devoured by monsters".
Thank you.
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Burning Man wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:
Burning Man wrote: It's there to show you that, historically, Silent Hill used to kill innocent people as well. You're supposed to find the one that's not a criminal afterall.

There's proof that it's not just a creation of James' mind. That proof being full names of our characters written on the catacomb tombstone. Specifically, how does James know the other characters' last names? Angela and Eddie never do introduce themselves with their full names. Unless, of course, you believe the other characters are James' creation as well?
Thank you.
Angela's last name is on the newspaper you find before fighting the Bed Monster. As far as I know, Eddie's last name is never mentioned anywhere except the manual and credits. >_>; James's subconsious coulda just made THAT detail up (considering he found the newspaper with Angela's past in the labyrinth as well :P). I know in my dreams, if I'm required to be given or know something I don't know in real life, my subconsious'll just make it up. *shrug* No need for accuracy, just something that fits the gap.
And you're welcome. :D
-Harry Mason
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Angela's last name is on the newspaper you find before fighting the Bed Monster.
It says, "Oro___". Angela's last name is never mentioned in full anywhere. James would have had to be an awesome "hangman" player. (Come to think of it, there are "hanged men" in the labyrinth. Maybe I'm onto something.)
No need for accuracy, just something that fits the gap.
Well, that's the thing. The official materials do state that that is really their names. James would have to psychic. When was the last time you blindly guessed at someone's last name and got it correct to the dot?

Speaking of "Miriam K", why not simply "Angela O" or "Eddie D?" I mean, yeah, you can argue about "Walter Sullivan" since you do find his name from the gossip article, but James has no way of knowing the other guys' last names.

The only way James would have known their full names is if he had Ernest Baldwin-like powers.
Alphabet Soup Guy
Just Passing Through
Location: Maybe Colorado, or Canada, or Kansas, something with a "kuh" sound.

Post by Alphabet Soup Guy »

...Obviously, the gravestone is just a hallucination, which was only a part of
James' world...
Whereas it would be stupid to believe that nothing in SH2 is a hullcination, I do doubt everything as a whole was one. The apartments seem to be pretty normal. And I think the settlers probably used that area to kill people who committed crimes those people thought were wrong. They used the secret area because maybe that group knew that others would see what they were doing as wrong. As to explain the "triator" part, yes, I don't believe this had anything to do with the main Silent Hill story. She probably thought what she and others had been doing was wrong as well, and when she tried to tell someone, the others found out and executed her. Who are these people? I don't know. Maybe the cult. Actually, that's probably the best possibility.

Or Team Silent is just trying to screw with us. :D

(NOTE THE SMILEY FACE!)
Have you thought about your effect on other people's lives recently?

"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

-Unknown
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Most of the enviroments in the Silent Hill series are based heavily on the real town and it's locations and environs, twisted by one person's mind or another. The apartments were just like the real thing, except with corpses that looked like James and monsters and PH and such hanging out in them. :P
-Harry Mason
alone in the town

Jetsetlemming wrote: And guys, I'm pretty sure he meant "innocent people were killed in Silent Hill", rather than "Silent Hill as a supernatural entity conciously killed innocent people". The hung men are all killed by officials or mobs, after all. The poem doesn't say "And the stranger accused of arson was sucked into an alternate dimension and devoured by monsters".
It's important to be clear about that, because there are a lot of people who do believe silent Hill is a supernatural entity that kills innocent people.

And that just tain't right, McGee.
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Innocent people have died because of the supernatural events in Silent Hill, like Cybil and Lisa in the first game. The town itself isn't consious, and it isn't consiously killing innocent people, though.
-Harry Mason
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

Well I know that...yeah, you can kill me for saying this anyways...but in WoW there's an eater egg on top of some mountain, and it's acutally a grave stone of someone who died while creating the game who was on the development team. ..maybe this lady was on the developement team and died during production?
EDH
Erectile Dis-function Highlander
"THERE CAN ONLY BE NONE!"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Considering how pernicious it is to suggest someone's a "traitor of their country," I think not.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Silent Addicted
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Addicted »

Well, IMO not every detail we see in the game must be there for a reason connected to it. Maybe a Team Silent artist had a funny dream about this Miriam, or maybe mr Yamaoka had a score stolen by her, or maybe... ok, i think u understand what i'm saying. Probably there is a reason why they put that name and not, let's say, Ronald McDonald... but probably we'll never come to know it, cause it has not necessarily something to do with the plot. I think this could be the case for a lot of other things we see in the sh series.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time...
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

No significance, but gotta double check to be sure. There is always option that theyve planned to use this name later in future instalments (like Walter and couple of more) but they didnt so far, and whats more maybe they still will?