Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 01 Nov 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2006
Notes left: 63
Last seen at: Broken Computer Chair
I know it'll sound like the most lamest thing ever, but it helped me grow up.

My father bought the game when I was... I dunno... 15 or something... Oddly enough, he bought it for about 20 dollars along with 2 shitty games. Now I'm wondering what this masterpiece was doing in there...

This game made me think, it made me wonder things about people that I didn't before and ask questions about humanity. Plus, I helped me escape my complete cowardliness :3 It inspired me to do so many things and meet so many new people. I'm obsessed with it now.... but hey, it keeps me busy.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Aug 2006
Notes left: 53
Last seen at: Ohio
I'm such a closet goth that I love anything dark. I'm addicted to he stuff. Anything that normal people would find scary or gross or horrifying. I love it. So SH was the perfect place for me. I LOVE how it makes no sense. I'd love to live in that world. Please don't flame me, I know it makes sense sometimes if you get the deeper meaning but my first runs through almost every SH game, I was totally lost (Besides the storyline) and I loved it. Such a huge jerk from normal 9-5pm work and boring life. I sometimes have dreams about Silent Hill and I LOVE it. I'm not crazy, at least I don't think I am, but in the dreams I feel totally relaxed in the town even when it turn into nightmare. Love it. Anyways, I especially love Silent Hill 2 because of the life and death and punishment hints behind it all. Silent Hill 4 is my second favorite because of the idea of being trapped, almost inside of your own mind, and the only way out is to go someplace that makes even less sense. Silent Hill.

Ok the end. In short, I love SH because it makes no sense and it's a total fantasy realm full of horror. Good stuff.

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Did this game mean something special for you?

Missing since: 05 Jul 2004
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Orlando, Florida
Silent Addicted wrote:
So everytime i read about how gore and violence can disturb players' mind leading them to kill, rape, steal, well, I start laughing like an idiot. Jesus, sh2 saved my ass!

Gore and violence really can disturb people leading them to do all of those things - within a certain context. I'm not a big fan of the ESRB or anything - I'm just saying that what doesn't help an already disturbed mind can hinder it - but parents really really need to be involved in their childrens lives. Silent Hill, though, is not one of those games that can incite violence - I don't believe at all, because silent hill does not glorify the dark issues it addresses at all. This particular game is more likely to...well...have the kind of effect it did on you. The same can even be said about movies/books or any other medium - but the crazy cases that may have been contributed to by games like this also tend to involve UNinvolved parents.

Anyway - this game actually is important to me in a different way - around the time it first came out I was really lost in direction - I was a highschool drop out who worked at a nuts and bolt factory and had almost no future - the story of the game really hit me hard in retrospect and lead me to revsit an old passion that I had thought was dead...writing.

I starting writing a novel adaptation of the game - I even posted it here (that's when I found the site, I wanted somewhere that my story could be brutally criticised.) I got a great response from people who loved it and loved the way I wrote it even though I changed many things for the purposes of the medium. Anyway it sort of sparked my confidence - I started college, community college as I had no highschool diploma, and tested perfect on the english part of the placement test - went into comp 1, did great, comp 2, did great - in all of my essays I'd take the prompt and use it to make up stories rather than write about my greatest moment or etc. my life basically. I got so much praise from my instructor that my doubts about being in school faded, I ended up winning the excellence in english award and went on to tutor and became a supplemental instructor - later my talents in computers were discovered by staff and I was hired on as a computer technician....

That seemed to branch off a bit - but the truth is I went from noone to someone in about 2 years, simply because silent hill 2 woke me up, and got me started writing again - when people saw my work, they praised me - so I kept doing it. And I still write today, lots, and am working on a book right now. I never did finish SH2, because basically it was an adaptation and not something 100% original. But SH2 is what got me back in the game. Whenever I revisit the game, I remember that.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 May 2007
Notes left: 24
Last seen at: Silent Hill
Solidishness wrote:
I'm such a closet goth that I love anything dark. I'm addicted to he stuff. Anything that normal people would find scary or gross or horrifying. I love it. So SH was the perfect place for me. I LOVE how it makes no sense. I'd love to live in that world. Please don't flame me, I know it makes sense sometimes if you get the deeper meaning but my first runs through almost every SH game, I was totally lost (Besides the storyline) and I loved it. Such a huge jerk from normal 9-5pm work and boring life. I sometimes have dreams about Silent Hill and I LOVE it. I'm not crazy, at least I don't think I am, but in the dreams I feel totally relaxed in the town even when it turn into nightmare. Love it. Anyways, I especially love Silent Hill 2 because of the life and death and punishment hints behind it all. Silent Hill 4 is my second favorite because of the idea of being trapped, almost inside of your own mind, and the only way out is to go someplace that makes even less sense. Silent Hill.

Ok the end. In short, I love SH because it makes no sense and it's a total fantasy realm full of horror. Good stuff.

No you're not crazy, at least if you are then me and a lot of other SH fans are a bunch of crazies, but who cares SH2 is one of the greatest games ever made. It's funny because I've told my girlfriend that I wish I could live in Silent Hill, she just looks at me and says "really? It's so scary!"

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2004
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Orlando, Florida
I get that, too, it's normal but it's also the kind of thing that starts a drug addiction lol

The desire too see something other than reality, I guess. The thing that makes you play make believe when you're a kid.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Aug 2006
Notes left: 53
Last seen at: Ohio
emehlen wrote:
Solidishness wrote:

No you're not crazy, at least if you are then me and a lot of other SH fans are a bunch of crazies, but who cares SH2 is one of the greatest games ever made. It's funny because I've told my girlfriend that I wish I could live in Silent Hill, she just looks at me and says "really? It's so scary!"

Ha ha! That's what my girlfriend at the time said as well. The whole "I'm not crazy, or at least I don't think I am" was a reference to what James says in SH2. Glad someone else out there shares my thoughts on SH. 8)

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jan 2007
Notes left: 159
Last seen at: Honolulu - Hilo, Hawai'i
It did for me and I never thought it would until I actually beat it. I mean that whole ending note reminded me of how much me and my ex Melissa cared for each other. We were planning on getting hitched and we always said that if anything ever happened to us that we should live our lives but never forget each other. Then I move 3 months later buy the game and then was amazed by that.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Oct 2007
Notes left: 47
THIS MAY BE TOO MUCH FOR SOME PEOPLE. I HOPE I DON'T GET BANNED OR BECOME DISLIKED. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. THANKS.

Well, this is my very first post here and I thought I would make it very personal and special.

Whether what I'm about to say has anything to do with Silent Hill 2 or not, I never felt comfort for my personal hell until I had played Silent Hill 2 and realized all of the meanings for the symbols and metaphors.

When I was very young I had a sexual experience with a girl around my age (we were both very young, probably before the age of 7) She was molested by her step-father and one day she took me into her backyard in her clubhouse to "show me something." She had wrapped her legs and arms around me and began moving into me, you know what I mean. Anyways, this happened several times and after the first time I remember she would pray to God and say that she was sorry and that she wouldn't do it again. We stood in her backyard and stared into the sky.. as she said this "prayer" It must have been something her step-father had said and done after.

Anyways, I felt a tremendous, gut-wrenching, unbearable amount of guilt and pain after this. I felt I had done something wrong. It killed me inside, literally ate me up inside. Although, I felt this "feeling" in my sexual organ all the time and tried to reinact what I had done with her. I was just a child, not knowing what happened and what I was feeling and experiencing.

I began having really bad anxiety and panic attacks. I felt sick to my stomach almost everyday. I was extremely obsessive compulsive with every little thing I did and it was going on 24/7, none stop! I also felt a very evil presence within me. I remember I would be really cruel to my mother and sometimes even set out traps for her to hurt herself. I was very bad.

Though, I was very emotion, sensitive and fragile. I couldn't watch anytihng scary because my mind would adapt to it, therefore my perception and reality would change to what I was watching. After I watched whatever horror I was watching I would then live in what I had seen. I imagined and visualized death, dismember and just complete horror. I thought people I knew that got hurt or that died would come and haunt me. I was very sick, twisted and demented.

As a child I would also be creative and draw and make crafts, although, nothing I made came out to be anything. Children are wonderful and beautiful artists, but I would just make dots on paper and try to connect them to make a picture, use glitter, glue and tape to make weird, meaningless crafts. It was as if I was trying to recreate what I had lost when I had those specific experiences. I was searching for something deep inside of me, something that I had lost, something I couldn't get back. I also collected trash, too, as in wrappers and anything that had appealing pictures or writing.

As I got older masturbation was always there, though deep in the background. I was very shy, timid and kept to myself. I didn't fit in with everyone else. I didn't understand how people dated and had sex and everything was so alien to me. On the outside I was like this, but on the inside I was very perverse, sick and sexual. I lived in my head where the fear, hell and fantasy were.

As time went on, break up after break up, heart ache after heart ache, I became very isolated, dropped out of school, kept to myself, stayed on my computer all night long for years. I became very evil and that mixed with my obsessiveness and extremeness with masturbation. This is where one lets that monster on his back (that has been there since his childhood) completely consume the man he is, therefore, turning him into a monster. I became a psychopath and on my mind was murder, perversion and complete and utter hell. I loved who I was and couldn't stop myself.

I was a complete train wreck and was very close to crossing the line and ending up in prison. I specifically wanted to "collect women's limbs" for what reason, I didn't know at that time, but it was simply because of that experience I had (since her limbs were around me). Why did I hate women so much, because of the girl who took my innocence away as a child. Why did I hate sex so much, but then was so perverse and sexual myself, 'cause that experience just screwed me up. I felt sex at a young age and since everyone liked it and wanted it and it was fun and great, for me it wasn't 'cause it ruined my life. I knew about it and how it felt loooong before they even knew what it was. It turned me into a monster. I made wrong choices, I never dealt with my problems and emotions in the right way.

We, as people, I believe create our own hell. We sometimes, from dealing with trauma and bad experiences live in fear and that fear is here (in our minds) and it is also where hell is. We sometimes create things to punish ourselves, as well. Hell is true, it's in our heads and all around us, but only our hearts and souls can see through the thick and blinding fog that it is, into the clear.

I've gone through hell, I've been there for longer than 20 years, it's all I've known and I once took comfort in it. I've always ran and hid, I've never been able to leave. Though, I'm MUCH BETTER NOW! Thank God, literally.

------------------

Silent Hill 2 helped me with my psychological problems and with my personal hell, not that it helped me to understand anything whatsoever, but I felt comfort in it. It's very plain and simple in it's storyline and dialog, as I am in my appearance and voice, but deep in Silent Hill, what's behind the metaphors and all that are complex, deep and hellish meanings and truths, such as I have inside of me. I strongly believe that Silent Hill 2 should be written into a book and be a required book to read in school, or just a book in a bookstore. It's true life, it's how people truly are inside and outside. It completely defines the whole mind, heart and soul. It is a true masterpiece that's groundbreaking and triumphant. It will forever remain in my heart for as long as I live...

Thank God for Team Silent. ...Maybe I should write this to them in a letter. I bet they don't think that their games actually "help" people like me in this specific way. But I'm sure SH2 has helped out a lot of people in their own ways. Thanks for reading. :wink:

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Sep 2006
Notes left: 480
Last seen at: Heather's Apartment
That was quite a story to read, one of the most horrific I've read actually, you had me reminded of Ed Gein with the woman's limbs. And Silent Hill 2 taught you that? Wow! It must mean something real special to you. And I find this post you've posted a bit personal, but if you're happy with over 6000 members to see it, then I suppose it's up to you.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Mister_Creazil wrote:
And Silent Hill 2 taught you that?

Oh, no no no no. Silent Hill didn't teach me that. That was my own sick mind that created that. The point of my post is that Silent Hill just led me to a place where I felt comfort from my very own personal hell. It was an escape from it. I guess it's hard to understand. That's fine.

I don't mind people reading this. I will someday write a book about my life, so it's fine.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Yes, that's what I mean. I didn't mean the story, is it a true story?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Oh, okay, I see. Well, if you're asking if what I said in the post is a true story, it is. It was my life. It's very personal, but hey, we all have our problems and secrets, those were mine and I'm happy to share my true life story with the fans and let them know why I love Silent Hill. The reason is as deep as the game. :D

It's nice to see someone from the other Silent Hill Forum here. :wink:

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

The other Silent Hill Forum? What do you mean? And it is quite a personal story, some parts remind me of Ed Gein...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Yeah. I'm familiar with him. He inspired a whole lot of stuff.

The S.H.F "the European forum" I recognized your name. You are Mister_Creazil, aren't you? That is your real name, isn't it? Just pulling your leg, ha!

I'm ButterflyinaBox on there. :)

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

My real name is Josh. Mister Creazil is just a nickname a friend gave me, infact, Mister Creazil is from a flash movie me and a friend had seen. And she decided to give me the name of a character in that flash. And yeah, i'm Mister_Creazil from SHF, but I use this one more, 'cos it's better. And you can probably tell I use this one more.

Anyway, I'll just say that Silent Hill 2 didn't mean that much to me, but gave me a whole lot of knowledge of why all these people come to me for advice and help, which I then give them my best, I now know what to say and what not to say more, I don't know how Silent Hill gave me this, but it did somehow. Probably due to the lack of help James recieves in the game, which eventually leads him to suicide, I think.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

*shakes hand* Nice to meet you Josh, I'm Steven. You have a nice nickname. Yeah. This place is better, but I've been reading posts on the other one for years.

Well, I think that's phenomenal that people would come to your for help and advice, it's always such a great feeling knowing you truly helped someone in a good way. It's a gift! Not all people know how to help people. I think most people do such a poor job at it.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Yes, but when all your friends come at you all at the same time, it's real hard to keep up with all of them. And when you're down and someone asks you, you really don't know how to help them, because you don't know how to help yourself, and you end up giving pretty useless information. But I do help people the best I can with advice. Anyway, this is going off topic, so I'm going to stop posting this conversation. PM if you'd like to carry on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6