The Noise at the start

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Hill, so peaceful
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Hill, so peaceful »

I heard this noise when running along the dirt paths, there were like extra noises that sounded like extra footsteps and it creeped me out but I soon realized it was just me and my footsteps.
"I am (Silent Hill, so peaceful)...if you want me to be!"- Silent Hill 2

It's the story that happened yesterday, but I know it's tomorrow.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

No, there ARE phantom footsteps you hear when you walk or run for a while but they stop immediately after you stop to make you sort of question your sanity. Either that or my sanity is questionable. :?
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Nemi79
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Nemi79 »

I've noticed that too. The footsteps are slower than James' and they continue for a short period after James has stopped. I also believe it's just to make you go "wtf"
Darkness lurks even in the minds of the innocente
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

Squarehead wrote:No, there ARE phantom footsteps you hear when you walk or run for a while but they stop immediately after you stop to make you sort of question your sanity. Either that or my sanity is questionable. :?
Really? I never noticed this is there a particular section of the game where this happens or is it just whenever?
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Lostkitsune wrote:
Squarehead wrote:No, there ARE phantom footsteps you hear when you walk or run for a while but they stop immediately after you stop to make you sort of question your sanity. Either that or my sanity is questionable. :?
Really? I never noticed this is there a particular section of the game where this happens or is it just whenever?
Around the ranch area (where you get the chainsaw)
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Here's a link to a speed run video, the phantom footsteps thing happens at 2:34:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TREZicXzv7Q
alone in the town wrote:
Squarehead wrote:For some reason i think of Wendigo from Pet Sematary when walking that forest path to the cemetery. Ain't sure if someone mentioned that there actually was a reference somewhere in the game to Pet Sematary or if it's just me.
No, it isn't just you.
:lol: Oh, heheh, come to think of it, i did read about the first 8 chapters or so of your novelization last december. I can't remember if i was thinking of Wendigo before that or only after reading it, in fact i can't even remember if i've ever even heard that noise myself.

That's the dilemma of subtle details in horror (among other things): it's more mysterious, spooky and intriguing when you're not sure what's happening or if anything is happening at all, but on the other hand you may just end up missing little things like that altogether. It's most effective if you notice it yourself but sometimes you just need stuff pointed out for you.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Arima
Just Passing Through

Post by Arima »

Are you talking about the sounds coming from the woods? People say it's the monsters making that sound.someone even said that it was PH but noone really knows.
CursedxDoom

Post by CursedxDoom »

sorry for bringing up this old topic, but what i have to say fits in this thread.

i just recently heard a noise in a different place than the ones described earlier in the thread. when i went to go save my game at the well, i had my view on the red save paper in the well when i had to check my cell phone. i think it had been about a minute or two when loud running footsteps came from what sounded like behind me. i almost shit my pants, saved my game as fast as i could, and got the hell outta there.
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

Ive heard those footprints before. I hadnt slept in a while and was a bit drunk. I really thought I im imagined it but I guess I didnt. as for the phantom footsteps I always heard those every time I played the game.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
ZombieLADY
Just Passing Through

Post by ZombieLADY »

CursedxNightmare wrote: i just recently heard a noise in a different place than the ones described earlier in the thread. when i went to go save my game at the well, i had my view on the red save paper in the well when i had to check my cell phone. i think it had been about a minute or two when loud running footsteps came from what sounded like behind me. i almost shit my pants, saved my game as fast as i could, and got the hell outta there.
I haven't heard this one before. I have to try it out now!!

As for the forest noises

I thought they were dogs. But then I realized that there were none in SH2. Maybe the SH team wanted to make you think that a dog would lunge out of the bushes???

....way to freak me out SH team!! :mrgreen:
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/RazzyRabit/SHavatars.gif[/img]
bryansurvive
Just Passing Through

Post by bryansurvive »

There's a book for silent hill?
You can't break my stride!
JesterDK
Just Passing Through

Post by JesterDK »

I noticed the noises when I played the game...never heard anything that sounding like someone running at me though.
[url=http://metalgearmasters-club.1up.com][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/daviddk_123/RedwREXMGSMB.jpg[/img][/url]
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

That sounds great! I will have to try it. Where can I find the novelization?
Life changes daily so go with it!
ZombieLADY
Just Passing Through

Post by ZombieLADY »

ZombieLADY wrote:
CursedxNightmare wrote: i just recently heard a noise in a different place than the ones described earlier in the thread. when i went to go save my game at the well, i had my view on the red save paper in the well when i had to check my cell phone. i think it had been about a minute or two when loud running footsteps came from what sounded like behind me. i almost shit my pants, saved my game as fast as i could, and got the hell outta there.
I haven't heard this one before. I have to try it out now!!

As for the forest noises

I thought they were dogs. But then I realized that there were none in SH2. Maybe the SH team wanted to make you think that a dog would lunge out of the bushes???

....way to freak me out SH team!! :mrgreen:

I tried it, and I heard the running footsteps sound. I freaked me out :oops:
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

I always decide to stop and turn around to look, dunno why :)
CursedxDoom

Post by CursedxDoom »

I tried it, and I heard the running footsteps sound. I freaked me out
Don't be embarrased ZombieLADY. I screamed like a little girl when it happened, and laughed for about five minutes afterwards. I thought it came from outside my window at first. :lol:
ZombieLADY
Just Passing Through

Post by ZombieLADY »

lol. Whenever, I hear stuff like that. I freak, and turn off the PS2 immediately. I was sooo freaked, you have no idea. I thought it would just take like a minute or so, but NO. I was just standing that and all of a sudden I hear it xDDDD