Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 04 Dec 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Sep 2003
Notes left: 199
Last seen at: Wisconsin
I think a big reason why I don't despise James is because I find him to be such an interesting character. The layers of self deception he has going on is fascinating. He's looking for Mary, and yet he knows she's dead. If you're paying attention that's a pretty darn big clue to the final shocking revelation, I mean if he can forget for a moment that his wife is dead what else can he forget about? What else can he lie to himself about? Even if I honestly thought that James action was unforgivable I'd still think he was an interesting character.

Hey, is there a thread devoted to discussing the layers of self deception James has going on? I couldn't find anything like that on the quicklinks thing, and it seems like it would be a cool topic of discussion.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Mar 2007
Notes left: 18
That was defently amazing and although I never found James to be a selfish person. You did on the other hand completly change my views on what the monsters mean and Maria does. Thanks. And congrats on your amazing theories.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: James' clemency (Spoilers).

Missing since: 13 Feb 2007
Notes left: 78
Last seen at: San Antonio TX
Krist., I loved your comparison to Dimmesdale! Scarlet Letter is one of my favorite books because of his character and guilt. Thank you for posting this as I also hated when people would say James was a sex crazed maniac as if it was a fact :/

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Mar 2007
Notes left: 39
Last seen at: Doylestown, Pennsylvania
I completely agree with everything in this little rant, except for your idea that James did'nt hear Mary calling him back in the hospital. I beleive he was leaving but still heard her, rushing out in pain and anger. I know I would have. :| I beleive that James did kill Mary out of mercy, he couldn't stand watching her suffer, but also out of anger, anger at her sickness, anger at his sexual frustration, anger at everything wrong in his life. His brain, in a mad fit of anger and depression, saw a problem and decided to eliminate it.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Yeah, he killed her out of mercy, but the emotion that allowed him to actually go through with the act was anger. The whole thing then messes with his mind so much that he wipes it from his mind and then the events of Silent Hill 2 occur.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
CryingInTheCorner wrote:
I completely agree with everything in this little rant, except for your idea that James did'nt hear Mary calling him back in the hospital. I beleive he was leaving but still heard her, rushing out in pain and anger. I know I would have. :| I beleive that James did kill Mary out of mercy, he couldn't stand watching her suffer, but also out of anger, anger at her sickness, anger at his sexual frustration, anger at everything wrong in his life. His brain, in a mad fit of anger and depression, saw a problem and decided to eliminate it.

I listed James not hearing her as a possibility. It's not my problem if you don't want to consider it.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jul 2006
Notes left: 531
If he didn't hear her in the hospital then how could he hear her in the delusion he created? He might have pretended he didn't hear but he must have known what she said in order to recreate the conversations.

Post subject:

Because Silent Hill never fabricates anything. Nor does a stressed and traumatized mind conjure up objects to further induce guilt. Like, you know. Letters. Or people.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Right, point taken. I don't see reason to assume that every memory and flashback was fabricated, though, becouse that kind of thinking ultimately leads to "Hey maybe what happened on that video tape found on room 312 was just a fabrication as well". But that's just my preference.

Post subject:

I don't see why you would think I'm suggesting every memory is fabricated, because I'm not. I'm only suggesting that the bit at the end of the conversation was. It's all in the first post.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19441
Last seen at: #lfk
>maybe what happened on that video tape found on room 312 was just a fabrication as well
Well. What the audience witnesses on the videotape is a fabrication.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting that what James did in the tape didn't actually happen? Or are you suggeting that it's just a representation of the real action?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

That the contents on the tape--save for their own trip--is a fabrication.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
>Or are you suggeting that it's just a representation of the real action?

It's a representation of a real action, but obviously James didn't videotape himself killing his wife.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

The comment threw me because fabrication for me carries the connatation of deception, and I thought James action on the tape was supposed to be a representation of the truth.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Fabricate means to create, or construct. Deception doesn't play into it, save for when referring to forgery.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Yes, well, i assumed we were talking about fabrication in the forgery sense of the word. I wasn't clear enough on this, sorry. Fucking semantics.
Quote:
I don't see why you would think I'm suggesting every memory is fabricated, because I'm not. I'm only suggesting that the bit at the end of the conversation was. It's all in the first post.

Right. I'm not suggesting that. I think bringing up the possibility that James' flashbacks are unreliable is a good point on your part but on the other hand the story is vague enough without all that. That's why i'd like to think that James' flashbacks after Room 312 are accurate. Becouse i personally feel it's convenient (otherwise, i feel, it's too difficult to draw the line between what's the accurate perception of reality and what's not). You, on the other hand, feel that James' memories being a bit fucked up, even after the point he's realized he's living in a lie, is more convenient for the story. That's fine.

Post subject:

Oh. Alright, then. Glad we could come to rest on a similar page.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: James' clemency (Spoilers).

Missing since: 31 Mar 2007
Notes left: 42
Last seen at: Silent hill (lol)
Krist. wrote:
Another possible monkey-wrench: Pyramid Head is rappin teh manikins!!!!!

Silent Hill is twisted, there's no doubt about that, which I don't think sums up any or all of the weird monsters and Pyramid Head's treatment of them. I read somewhere's that a phrase commonly tied into Pyramid Head was "self punishment" (to use the given Japanese terms: Jibatsuishiki/Jibachiishiki. Literally broken down into Ji = self. Batsu = punishment. Ishiki = Consciousness/"sense of". Also I think it was quoted saying that, "Pyramid Head comes from James' 'sense of self punishment' or 'self-punishment mindedness'", which goes to show that James' guilt made Pyramid Head manifest itself.) So there you go. It isn't Silent Hill that's using Pyramid Head as a means of punishing James for killing Mary; rather the manifestation of Pyramid Head is James's way of punishing himself. Also on said site is the literal translation of what James said when confronting the two Pyramid Heads in Lakeview Hotel: "I was weak, that's why I created you." Now, you can either see this as James saying it to Maria or to the PHs but isn't it all the same in the end? Both beings punish him in their own way, both make him suffer and remind himself of his wife one way or another, so I don't think it should matter much who he's talking to in that scene. And I think it deserves being said that if you examine the corpses of the PHs after they off themselves James will say "I don't need this anymore, it's just a corpse." Just like he tells Maria at their last confrontation, “I don’t need YOU anymore.”

Pyramid Head raping and killing the monsters is damned bizarre. IMHO, it's James' mind purging itself of its guilt for killing Mary. Pyramid Head’s behavior is oppressive, similar to the obvious oppression of holding a pillow to someone’s face and snuffing the life from them. He smothered Mary because that's how he figuratively felt after she got sick, what with the constantly changing moods and screams and tears and pleadings for him to kill her. Lets equate the act of smothering with the emotional feeling of one who is emotionally oppressed in order to have what I just said make any sense. (On that note I don't remember Mary saying she wanted to live, only that she was "scared to die." How's that a sign that she didn't want to die? She was just frightened.) He was so confused and torn between what to do he did what he thought would be best for her. And after giving her a kiss he takes the pillow and presses it to her face.

I liked most of your theory but I assumed that the rape scene between the Pyramid Head and the manikins was because of Angela past.Its not long after the rape scene and their is the cut scene with Angela and her knife.In fact,could the Pyramid Head be entirely related Angelas dad and not James.Or maybe this is what James and Angela have in common because Angela said "even momma said it I deserve what happened" So maybe the Pyramid Head represent what both James and Angela feel is justice.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
>could the Pyramid Head be entirely related Angelas dad and not James.Or maybe this is what James and Angela have in common...

Except we never see any evidence that Angela has ever laid eyes on one of the red pyramid things, but they follow James around several locations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next