Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 01 Dec 2020




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 28 Jun 2008
Notes left: 20
Last seen at: Podunk, USA
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
Wow, things HAVE changed. That used to be the most popular theory.


Maybe in bizarro world.

No...more like three or four years ago, when I was last online here.

_________________
Don't know how I got here and I don't know why I stay
The poets all around are laughing in their graves
Must be something that I said
This place is not like anything I've seen before
The spirits move around, the houses have no doors
But I'm getting used to it


Addendum: I WAS HERE WHEN ALL THIS WAS FIELDS, GORRAMMIT


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
No...more like three or four years ago, when I was last online here.


I was lurking here for about four years, the theory was never popular, and even if it was, it was wrong since it's creation, so who gives a damn?

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 28 Jun 2008
Notes left: 20
Last seen at: Podunk, USA
Huh, we probably passed each other at the door, as it 'twere. Last I was here, I was still afraid of Silent Hill 4 spoilers.

I maintain that it was in vogue for at least a short while, probably before your time. I don't see why the theory should automatically be discredited--half the fun of SH is random conjecturing.

_________________
Don't know how I got here and I don't know why I stay
The poets all around are laughing in their graves
Must be something that I said
This place is not like anything I've seen before
The spirits move around, the houses have no doors
But I'm getting used to it


Addendum: I WAS HERE WHEN ALL THIS WAS FIELDS, GORRAMMIT


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
It's discredited because Laura is inarguably real. Mary knew her, and since Laura is the vehicle to show James the objective reality of what really happened, it's contradictory, bad storytelling to make her some weird figment that serves no real purpose. Plus, she has her own Otherworld, which she wouldn't be experiencing if she was like Maria.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Feel free to discuss the nature of Laura's existence in the appropriate thread here.

Quicklinks are awesome!


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
OK, back to the original subject...

I have no clue why I didn't think of this before...
but if the "In-Water" ending is the "True" ending of Silent Hill 2...

"In-Water" is not the True ending. And I do not think it will be. I expect that the only way a "canon" ending will be established is if future games involve James conducting the ritual. In that case, the canon ending will be "Rebirth".

...then what happens to Laura? Does she die?
No. She leaves the town, alone.

Or since that Silent Hill "takes shape" to assist the situations, was she able to get out?
Of course.

Or was her youth and innocence a contributing factor to her survival (if she did survive)?
No way to know. We just know that the town was no threat to her. The only dangers she faced were far more mundane ones: exposure, starvation, or possibly being abducted after leaving the town.

...but then again why was she in Silent Hill in the first place?
She wanted to find Mary.

Was she "called" there, too?
No.

Was she just there to assist James with the events?
It's possible. The fact that she was in Misty Silent Hill, as opposed to the populated town that most people see, is the one thing in the game that doesn't add up. The theory that she was there to (unknowingly) assist James makes as much sense as any other.

Is she even real?
Just as real as James is.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
It's possible. The fact that she was in Misty Silent Hill, as opposed to the populated town that most people see, is the one thing in the game that doesn't add up. The theory that she was there to (unknowingly) assist James makes as much sense as any other.


Loneliness.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
Whatever you say, Aura. Whatever you say.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Let's not get into this argument, but I'm saying there's many reasons for her that DO add up, and whether or not you disagree is moot, since it does fit.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Apr 2006
Notes left: 305
Last seen at: XY (0,0)
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
It's possible. The fact that she was in Misty Silent Hill, as opposed to the populated town that most people see, is the one thing in the game that doesn't add up. The theory that she was there to (unknowingly) assist James makes as much sense as any other.


Loneliness.


What do you mean?

_________________
I felt infinite.


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Spartan 117 wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
It's possible. The fact that she was in Misty Silent Hill, as opposed to the populated town that most people see, is the one thing in the game that doesn't add up. The theory that she was there to (unknowingly) assist James makes as much sense as any other.


Loneliness.


What do you mean?

It's widely accepted that Laura's powerful feeling of loneliness is what caused her to enter the otherworld instead of just arriving at the normal, populated Silent Hill.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Exactly. It's made very clear that the town of Silent Hill doesn't work with just guilty emotions, but also any strong ones, good or bad, such as loneliness.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1482
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
>It's made very clear that the town of Silent Hill doesn't work with just guilty emotions, but also any strong ones, good or bad, such as loneliness.

I've thought of this many times, that there are so many possible emotions for a SH character to be drawn to the town for. Imagine a protagonist with strong emotion for example disgrace, nervousness, envy, shyness, fatigue or even hunger.

_________________
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
Urghh... hunger... I'd be attacked by carnivorous orange rolls, flying fried chickens, and a giant lasagna that spat globs of molten cheese at me.

Still, why Laura? There have to be fifty people living in the town with worse issues than mere loneliness. Why did she get sucked in and none of them?


Top
   
 

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Apr 2006
Notes left: 305
Last seen at: XY (0,0)
I'm really not too sure about that. Maybe, but I'm not sure.

You're saying that if you have an extreme enough emotion, then you can be called to Silent Hill? Or if you wonder to the town, if you have an extreme enough emotion, you'll be sucked into this deserted, old, foggy town?

Ehhh. I doubt my extreme love for MacDonald's fries will take me to a haunted town where my mind it played out in front of me in freak manifestations.

I think the town called her for the same reason that all the "real" character's where called there. To realize truth. It failed for two of them, and they died. But Laura, I'm not sure. We can safely assume that she escaped the town alive. And James: [spoiler]brought his dead wife back to life.[/spoiler] Can you say, "LOOP HOLE!"?

I get what you're saying, I really do. I'm just not sure if that's how it works. We'll have to wait, and play Silent Hill: Homecoming. Hopefully, that will explain more of the physiological aspect of the town.

EDIT: Lol, Oddish, I know right? Dude, cheese dip would be flying through the fog towards my face, and in sheer horror I would be! (I kid, I kid.)

_________________
I felt infinite.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
Laura's reason for being there has already been a source of a major argument, one that ultimately proved impossible to resolve because we had incompatible theories about the nature of the place. I say her presence doesn't add up, Aura says it makes perfect sense, you may decide for yourself, since it isn't relevant to this topic.

I think that there's very little doubt about Laura's fate where Silent Hill was concerned. Because there was nothing in the town that threatened her, she almost certainly got out in one piece. Did she encounter Mary in some form? If she did not, then she might earch around the town awhile longer, but she would ultimately accept that James spoke the truth, that Mary wasn't there. If she did encounter Mary, then the latter would have told her what she told James: go on with your life.

No matter what happens to James, then, she leaves town. The fact that she is willing to leave with James in "Leave" suggests that she did encounter Mary, and Mary talked to her, explained that James's actions were due to love, not hate. But, it's also possible that James chased her down and held her down long enough to tell her the truth himself. She might still be upset with him, but she might at least accept his offer to get her back to civilization.

Of course, if she leaves the town alone, it's a different story. A lot of things could happen to an 8-year-old kid who's out in the middle of nowhere without an adult to look after her, but those are dangers posed by our world, not the world that the town exists in.

And finally, in the "Rebirth" ending, all bets are off, because we don't know what happens.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Still, why Laura? There have to be fifty people living in the town with worse issues than mere loneliness. Why did she get sucked in and none of them?


MERE loneliness? Not many people in the WORLD know loneliness to Laura's depth, and it probably compares to, if not fully outweighs, what Eddie and Angela feel. Besides, you don't know who else is in the Otherworld, it's not like we meet EVERYONE it's ever sucked in.

Quote:
You're saying that if you have an extreme enough emotion, then you can be called to Silent Hill? Or if you wonder to the town, if you have an extreme enough emotion, you'll be sucked into this deserted, old, foggy town?

Ehhh. I doubt my extreme love for MacDonald's fries will take me to a haunted town where my mind it played out in front of me in freak manifestations.


I'm not talking things like loving food or being hungry, I'm talking POWERFUL emotions that can consume a person's entire life, such as James' guilt or Laura's all-encompassing loneliness.

Quote:
I think that there's very little doubt about Laura's fate where Silent Hill was concerned. Because there was nothing in the town that threatened her, she almost certainly got out in one piece. Did she encounter Mary in some form? If she did not, then she might earch around the town awhile longer, but she would ultimately accept that James spoke the truth, that Mary wasn't there. If she did encounter Mary, then the latter would have told her what she told James: go on with your life.

No matter what happens to James, then, she leaves town. The fact that she is willing to leave with James in "Leave" suggests that she did encounter Mary, and Mary talked to her, explained that James's actions were due to love, not hate.


I'm glad we can agree on this much.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Nov 2006
Notes left: 53
Ahhh...I love this forum :D Thanks for all the help guys.
EDIT - Also, to Varg6 - Pretty much the whole game did that for me...that's why I love it so much, when I first played it, it made me feel something I've never felt before and I loved it...Definately one of the best games of all-time.


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Aug 2008
Notes left: 144
She probably got out after a while, she cannot see any monsters so there are no manifestations to harm her.

How she got to the hotel is a mystery though, unless there is a path that goes around to it if I remember correctly (James cannot access it)?


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
It has been suggested I think by Aura, that Laura sees the town's geography different, making it easier for her to go through the town, that is why she seems to never have crossed Toluca Lake. I imagine all the the places she remembers or what the places Mary has mentioned are all jumbled up. Also, that is perhaps why she has these keys to the locked doors James or maybe even anyone can't get into.

_________________
Image
"And everything seemed to be going so well...."


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: