Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 01 Dec 2020




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
I'm sure Laura didn't see Mary at all during her time in Silent Hill and once James revealed the truth, she left, in any of the endings.

_________________
Image
"And everything seemed to be going so well...."


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
If that were the case, she would flee as soon as she saw James, thinking he murdered her beloved Mary. The scene we see in "Leave" would be difficult to explain.

But my point is this:

Laura ALWAYS gets the "Leave" ending - escaping the town alive.
Angela ALWAYS gets the "In Water" ending - destroying herself.
Eddie ALWAYS gets the "Maria" ending - embracing his delusion.
James's fate depends on the player's choices.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
I'm sure Laura didn't see Mary at all during her time in Silent Hill


Why in the hell not? Mary's spirit is present in the Otherworld, and Laura has every right to see Mary, if not more so because she didn't fucking kill her. I would even go as far as to say that Laura's need and desire to see her was stronger than James'.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
Because you can tell her need of seeing her was not fullfilled at all. We only see James talking to Mary at the end. Are you saying Laura will manifest her? I'm not to sure. As you can tell, like James,she is constantly looking for Mary intill he tells her that she is no longer alive.

_________________
Image
"And everything seemed to be going so well...."


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
If we assume that Laura did not see Mary, it logically follows that she would have nothing more to do with James. Remember her reaction when James told her he killed Mary... to say it was passionate would be an understatement!


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 May 2007
Notes left: 1025
I entertain the idea that Laura actually did find Mary towards the end of the game.

And I agree with this deduction:
Oddish wrote:
If we assume that Laura did not see Mary, it logically follows that she would have nothing more to do with James. Remember her reaction when James told her he killed Mary... to say it was passionate would be an understatement!

Since I see the Leave ending as Laura leaving the town with James, I don't think she'd do such a thing without having some sort of consolation first. I mean, yeah... she read Mary's letter, where she suggests to Laura to think better of James, but the revelation of James killing Mary really threw her for a loop.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
Okay, so how did she find Mary if James is the only one to talk to her at the end?

_________________
Image
"And everything seemed to be going so well...."


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 May 2007
Notes left: 1025
Detective Cartland wrote:
Okay, so how did she find Mary if James is the only one to talk to her at the end?

How do you figure that? For all we know, they could've seen each other at different times. It's not like she's bound to one place, anyways... her influence is all over the town.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
Even at the Hotel Laura is asking if he found Mary yet. If you're saying they talked at the end of the game, I don't know why when she found the goodbye letter in the nurse's locker.

_________________
Image
"And everything seemed to be going so well...."


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 May 2007
Notes left: 1025
Quote:
If you're saying they talked at the end of the game, I don't know why when she found the goodbye letter in the nurse's locker.

I think Laura took Mary's "goodbye" letter as that she's just leaving. I don't necessarily think she thought Mary was saying goodbye because she was dying. I can't remember the thread this was discussed in, but maybe Laura thought Mary was just going somewhere else. Another hospital, perhaps?

Laura came to Silent Hill for a reason. She knew Mary was connected to the town somehow.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
Oddish wrote:
If we assume that Laura did not see Mary, it logically follows that she would have nothing more to do with James. Remember her reaction when James told her he killed Mary... to say it was passionate would be an understatement!


I disagree. James could've wanted to find Laura because he knows that Mary loves Laura, and he could've wanted to give her a better life as a mean to repent his guilt, and also to honor Mary's spirit and compassion. After he found Laura, he could've used sophisms so that Laura would agree to be his adoptive daughter. I imagined that he would tell Laura something along the line that Mary is forever gone, and her last wish is for James to take care of her. Of course Laura might have been apprehensive, but I think it's another plausible case.

_________________
QUICKLINKS | SH1 |SH2 |SH3 | SH4 |SH:H | SH:O |SHMovie |SHGeneral |FAQs




Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
CursedxDoom wrote:
Quote:
If you're saying they talked at the end of the game, I don't know why when she found the goodbye letter in the nurse's locker.

I think Laura took Mary's "goodbye" letter as that she's just leaving. I don't necessarily think she thought Mary was saying goodbye because she was dying. I can't remember the thread this was discussed in, but maybe Laura thought Mary was just going somewhere else. Another hospital, perhaps?

Laura came to Silent Hill for a reason. She knew Mary was connected to the town somehow.


Yeah of course shes connected to the town, they both stayed there. Thats why looked for her at Brookhaven, of course with no avail.

_________________
Image
"And everything seemed to be going so well...."


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 May 2007
Notes left: 1025
Detective Cartland wrote:
Yeah of course shes connected to the town, they both stayed there. Thats why looked for her at Brookhaven, of course with no avail.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what you mean my "they both stayed there". By both, do you mean James and Mary, or Laura and Mary. Could you clarify?

amphreded wrote:
I disagree. James could've wanted to find Laura because he knows that Mary loves Laura, and he could've wanted to give her a better life as a mean to repent his guilt, and also to honor Mary's spirit and compassion. After he found Laura, he could've used sophisms so that Laura would agree to be his adoptive daughter. I imagined that he would tell Laura something along the line that Mary is forever gone, and her last wish is for James to take care of her. Of course Laura might have been apprehensive, but I think it's another plausible case.

It's plausible that James actively sought to adopt Laura. But I dunno... Laura doesn't seem to me the type of person that would go with a dear friend's killer, and she seems too stubborn to give James a second chance by his persuasion alone.

But I don't rule it out completely.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
We know that Laura did not encounter Mary before her final talk with James, when she yelled that she hated him and fled the room. However, there was a window of opportunity for them to meet afterward.

Yes, Amph, your theory is plausible. I realize that James could have searched for Laura after the final battle. I expect that he'd have had to run her down, grab her, and wrestle her into submission, probably taking several kicks to the shins, elbows to the guts, and a bite or two in the process. And once that was over, he could have told her the whole story.

But even so, I'm going to side with Aura on this one. There was a reason why Laura wound up in the "misty" town, instead of the populated place most people see. It wasn't to face the trial of the Abyss, she was never there. Maybe it was to find Mary and see her one last time, and then be able to move on with her life.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 May 2007
Notes left: 1025
Okay, uhm... what the hell happened to Cartland's post? I specifically remember him answering my question towards what he said. I might me losing my friggin mind, too. :?

Either way, I'll comment on what I remember he said:

Laura didn't stay at Brookhaven. Laura met Mary at St. Jerome's hospital, which is outside of Silent Hill.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
I was not disagreeing that there was a reason why Laura wandered around the fog town. In fact, the game explicitly tells us that her reason was to find Mary. I just didn't agree that Laura get a chance to meet Mary. I think she did not meet Mary at all.

_________________
QUICKLINKS | SH1 |SH2 |SH3 | SH4 |SH:H | SH:O |SHMovie |SHGeneral |FAQs




Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
She might NOT, she might HAVE. But if she doesn't, I see no reason in why she'd wander around the Misty Silent Hill if she has no trial, no talk with Mary, and apparently no meaningful events of ANY sort. Otherwise it'd be more plausible for her to wander reality while able to perceive James, like Kauffman and Lisa with Travis.

Plus, I don't see why Mary WOULDN'T manifest to Laura. She certainly has the ability and desire to do so.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
Laura meeting James is a meaningful event in itself. And if you believe that James did adopt Laura in the Leave ending, then the importance of her "wander" intensifies.

>Otherwise it'd be more plausible for her to wander reality while able to perceive James, like Kauffman and Lisa with Travis.

You said yourself that her theme is loneliness, Laura being in reality would diminish that aspect.
Beside, I do not think that everyone gets out with a resolve.

>Plus, I don't see why Mary WOULDN'T manifest to Laura. She certainly has the ability and desire to do so.

Possibly because Mary decided not to manifest to Laura? True, she used euphemism in a letter to suggest Laura that she would be forever gone, but we can deduct that it was to cushion the child's broken heart. But if the spirit of Mary still lingered and knew of Laura's intense yearning to see her (debatable), she could play hard and tried not to give Laura any further hope, so the girl can finally move on with her life instead of persuing an illusion.

_________________
QUICKLINKS | SH1 |SH2 |SH3 | SH4 |SH:H | SH:O |SHMovie |SHGeneral |FAQs




Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
I'm not even convinced that James adopts Laura if she does encounter Mary: the day's events suggest that neither is particularly fond of the other. Also, James's attention is probably focused on himself, and Laura has no reason to trust him. If you have read my previous posts, you know that I am NOT saying it's impossible, it just seems unlikely. But if Laura did not encounter Mary in some form, if she did not hear the truth about why James did what he did from someone she trusts absolutely, the chances of that go from "unlikely" to "snowball in hell".

There's a fanfiction I saw somewhere that has Laura finally meet up with Mary moments after James's revelation in the hotel room. They have a very touching conversation (interrupted by the sounds of a firefight on the roof), then they say a last farewell, because Mary has to go and see James. Although James isn't featured directly, it sort of implies that "Leave" will take place.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
>But if Laura did not encounter Mary in some form, if she did not hear the truth about why James did what he did from someone she trusts absolutely, the chances of that go from "unlikely" to "snowball in hell".

You've got a good point there. I have to agree that Laura wouldn't trust James solely on his words without Mary's direct influence.
But let assumes Laura did not meet Mary, Laura would be interested in James since he is her most direct connection to Mary. Though Laura outwardly despited James, I think deep inside she has not firmly judged James all negatively. I'm sure during her time with Mary, Mary told Laura something good about James. James could've proposed that Laura could visit the house where Mary used to live--I think the child would definitely be interested enough to "Leave" with James for that reason. Her intention might've been to visit places Mary lived, thus she agreed with James to take a little trip. James might later talked with Laura about adoption (and of course, she could've declined).

I could be too optimistic, but I believe that if James adopted Laura, out of humaneness and Mary's love, the Leave ending becomes very positive. To honor Mary's spirit by giving love to a child in need of love is beautiful.

_________________
QUICKLINKS | SH1 |SH2 |SH3 | SH4 |SH:H | SH:O |SHMovie |SHGeneral |FAQs




Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron