Why Laura Didn't Find Mary

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Raider Man

Post by Raider Man »

Haven't you noticed that Lara never appears in the alternate worlds? Or other world? Only James, Maria, Angela, and Eddie.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Yes, she does. James sees her from inside the Director's Office while in the [otherside] Brookhaven Hospital.
Raider Man

Post by Raider Man »

OH! I missed that LOL! Sorry.
SyphonFilter1987

Post by SyphonFilter1987 »

AuraTwilight wrote:Nope, she didn't. The two aren't connected in any way, so why would she, anyway? James and Eddie both have justifications (James knew Mary as well, and Eddie was Laura's ride into town).
Actually the game never even states that Eddie was Laura's ride into town. You only see them together in that bowling place.
alone in the town

The Book of Lost Memories does state this, however.

I strongly suspect that the real reason Eddie even came to Silent Hill was because he was on the run and Laura gave him a destination.
SyphonFilter1987

My mistake. Sorry. :oops: Some fans on Youtube have speculated that the white van near James' car is Eddie's. I honestly don't know if that's true.

Anyway, here's the Lost Book of Memories source if anyone is interested.

http://www.translatedmemories.com/bookp ... lation.jpg
alone in the town

That is the going assumption.

However, I suspect it is not, as I remember reading that the introductory clip showing Eddie and Laura by the van was similar to (and replaced by) the scene involving the two in the Bowl-o-Rama, meaning that it may be closer to the west end of South Vale.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Actually the game never even states that Eddie was Laura's ride into town. You only see them together in that bowling place.
You see them next to a van together in the opening of the game. It's really obvious, and confirmed by Lost Memories. Eddie drove Laura into town.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

Hmmm, if both Eddie and Laura were drawn to Silent Hill (Maybe not Laura necessarily as she didn't seem to be "Called" to Silent hill, more she was curious and wanting to see Mary)
Would it seem coincidential that Eddie gave a lift to her?

I've always found that so interesting! I mean, Translated memories has confirmed it, but I mean. How would they have met?
Their cutscene in the Bowl-O-Rama does make them seem pretty close, but then Laura also REALLLLY insults him. (Again with the theory she can only see James and Eddie, neither of whom she actually shows any likeness towards)
Which would support how Laura only used Eddie as a free ride to Silent hill to look for Mary.

Wow, Im rambling XD
~| I've Come to Change the Order |~
OverlordMikey
Just Passing Through

Post by OverlordMikey »

Have you noticed

Laura actively avoids being nice to people or giving people a chance to get close, even Mary's letter made it sound like Laura doesn't give people a chance. Her ability to run into James may exist both because they knew Mary and because he is a person she never gave a chance to.

"Don't be to hard on the sisters."
"Give James a Chance"

I beginning to wonder if the reason Laura is in town is because she is making herself lonely. She is pushing anyone who is not Mary away. Distancing herself from the world for a memory that can never be. I think it's likely she knew Mary was dying considering how she reacted to James telling her she died saying "She died cause she was sick".

Laura may be in town to get exactly what she wants (or at least forcing on herself), to be alone with Mary, but Mary is dead and can‘t come back so all she gets to be is alone. Note that as they go on she starts seeking James' attention only because she realizes he’s looking for Mary and wants help. Until she finds out he killed Mary and then she walks away.

Who knows in the other endings maybe she stays in Silent Hill overwhelmed with her loneliness or accepts it and leaves.

I always find the Mary appeared to her thing to be cheesy and very dues ex machina, it's just not Silent Hill quality. I mean Mary shouldn’t be tossed around like that, it lowers the quality of the character and story in general.

I think looking at it from a Laura is there because of her loneliness and the fact that she pushes people away (even more so with Mary dead), now refusing to accept things as they are and move on makes her a more interesting character.

Then again I can only speculate. I think you get what I'm trying to say....
SyphonFilter1987

AuraTwilight wrote:
You see them next to a van together in the opening of the game. It's really obvious, and confirmed by Lost Memories. Eddie drove Laura into town.

Yeah, not the actual opening of the game. More like the cutscene that shows up if you don't click anything on the main menu for like half a minute.
Last edited by SyphonFilter1987 on 25 Jul 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I don't see why you're bitching about it since we know he drove her into Silent Hill. >_>
I once was lost, but am now profound.
SyphonFilter1987

Nillin wrote:I don't see why you're bitching about it since we know he drove her into Silent Hill. >_>
And why do you care what I say? :roll:
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Both of you chill. This is irrelevant to the topic anyway.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

Agreed with jthomp.

Lets get onto MARY and Laura, shall we? XD
Eddie's just the free-lifts guy.
~| I've Come to Change the Order |~
Sheogorath
Just Passing Through

Re: Why Laura Didn't Find Mary

Post by Sheogorath »

jthomp1286 said: Had Mary and Laura met once more she would have uncovered the real truth: that James did in fact murder Mary.
What would have been the point of Mary revealing that fact when James already confessed the truth to Laura in Room 312 of the Lakeview Hotel?
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Why Laura Didn't Find Mary

Post by Oddish »

There would have been none.

Moreover, had Laura not known, there's no reason to assume that Mary would have told her at their last encounter. She could have said, if asked, that she died because she was sick. It is essentially true; James would not have done what he did had Mary not been suffering horribly from her illness and close to death.

I said once, and I still say, that there is no evidence of Laura finding Mary. There is no evidence of her not finding Mary. There are compelling arguments for both theories, made by myself and Aura (and others) on one side and Jthomp (and others) on the other. I have no issues with the idea that Laura did not find Mary, even though my theory is different. I do, however, have extreme issues with the notion that she and James started a new life as father and daughter if she did not find Mary; indeed, I regard it as laughable. Without Mary's intervention, James would be hard-pressed to even convince Laura to let him take her back to whatever institution she dwelt at. She regards him as a murderer, and the only person who could dissuade her from that is Mary herself.

Our exposure to Laura at the end is minimal: we see her leaving Silent Hill. She is far enough from James that she might be leaving either with him or on her own. There is no way to know, from information given, what if anything befell her after she fled Room 312. In the end, I think it's like the question of which ending is canonical: something that each player has to answer for him/herself.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]